Tips for old games that are MASSIVELY improved on Xbox Series X

Video got published if anyone is interested.

13 Likes

Will watch after Iā€™m done with Valhalla for today!

1 Like

Bleeding Edge looks glorious on SX.

I donā€™t know the resolution but definitely looks higher than on X, and itā€™s much smoother too.

And the auto hdr works super well in this game.

Are there still a decent number of people playing? I keep meaning to try it out again.

For me it varies depending on the time of the day. Tried some matches early in the morning and was getting some 1-2 minutes queue times. But in the evening itā€™s been quite fast, 15-30s. Though I dunno if itā€™s due a sizeable userbase or just a small one that keeps matching against each other

Thatā€™s really weird. When I tested Witcher 3 the performance mode looked much lower than 4k and more in line with DFā€™s analysis of the x1x when it it ranged form 1080p up to 1332p iirc. Having said that some elements it didnā€™t notice much, but for example world items laying around like shields and clutter etc looked way lower than 1800p to me. But hey, I havenā€™t been pixel counting.

EDIT: I see your vid echoes the DF analysis of the x1x. Just strange I notice some stuff looking low res. I was testing around the eastern side of the main Novigrad map. Maybe its just item detail or something is reduced in the performance mode. I couldnā€™t tell res difference when it came to Geralt himself for example. Enjoyed the video btw. Thanks.

1 Like

Great video. I really enjoyed it. I finally subscribed too, sorry for being so late with that, haha.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the resolution can go lower and Iā€™m happy to count more screens in more demanding areas. To be honest, it took so much time just to get where I got in the game that i felt some pressure to move onto the next game.

Hey ,thank you!

1 Like

Really good video with great insights as well as an interesting choice of games

2 Likes

Awesome video and commentary Kage! keep up the great work!

Also I am curious to see how Titanfall 2 looks on the SX which IIRC itā€™s resolution goes up to 6K. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I have recently been trying Skyrim and Fallout 4, running both with frame uncap mods. So far Skyrim frame drops are found outside Whiterun on the way to Riverwood and looks a little bit nicer with Auto HDR. Certainly not a flawless locked 60fps.

However Fallout 4 so far looks much better with Auto HDR and runs flawlessly at a locked 60 fpsā€¦well so far at least. Unfortunately I havenā€™t got into the notorious city areas yet. Iā€™m super impressed with Fallout 4 at this early stage though. Especially compared to the x1x.

EDIT: oh and old but good. Iā€™m about 40 hours into Borderlands 2 on the series x and it has been a totally locked 60fps at all times. Excellent. Used to drop and hitch quite a lot on the x1x.

Youā€™re welcome!

When I like something Iā€™ll give credit where itā€™s due. Wolfenstein looks awesome and if it werenā€™t for AC valhalla I would go for a second playthrough.

1 Like

Some personal tests Iā€™ve made:

• Cities Skylines runs at a locked 4K 60 on Series X. It was 30 fps on One X, but if you pulled down the camera low enough, it would run at 60 for a very short period of time, which is why I tested the game on Series X.

• Deliver Us The Moon, one of the worst performing Xbox One/One X games, now runs at at 1080p 60 locked, or 4K 60 (even if the game states its 4K 30) with some minor dips. If you own a VRR/FS compatible screen, this mode is great

• Black Desert is now S|X optimized. It runs at a locked 60 fps (I dunno the res) or at 4K uncapped (I have VRR enabled so I canā€™t tell the framerate average)

• The Vanishing of Ethan Carter lets you unlock the framerate and choose between 1080p, 1440p or 4K. All of them are locked 60 now.

• Absolver had a messy framerate on One X. It is now a full 60 fps at 4K resolution.

• Void Bastards was usually choppy even on the One X. Now itā€™s locked 60 even on the most stressful levels.

• TES IV: Oblivion was choppy even with its 4K patch on One X. Now itā€™s locked 30

• Attack on Titan 2 runs at a locked 60 now. The game uses some weird 1080p native image with a 4k buffer, so judge by yourself at which resolution it actually runs

• Code Vein was a mess framerate wise. Now it runs at a flat 60 frames. I believe the game is higher than 1080p but it isnā€™t 4K

• Crash Bandicoot 4 is an obvious one, as it was already close to 60 on One X with minor dips. Now itā€™s fully locked. Still 1080p tho (I tested it on my brotherā€™s Series S and itā€™s the same deal)

• Destroy All Humans is now 1080p 60 locked. Had serious dips on One X.

• Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom is now locked 60 at 4K. It had dips on a huge number of levels.

• Halo 5 is now locked at 4K. The game used dynamic resolution on One X but on Series X, it just stays there at full 2160p.

• Games like State of Decay 2, We Happy Few, Sea of Thieves, Ori, The Touryst, Black Desert and Halo The Master Chief Collection are S|X optimized and can run from an external HDD or SDD. They run great and are faster to load compared to an external HDD on a One/One X.

12 Likes

Been playing Skyrim with the unlocked framerate and a bunch of graphical overhauls. It runs great and is sort of sucking me back in.

1 Like

too bad all achievements are locked

3 Likes

The latest Crash is 1080p? What a shame. The trilogy was 1440p I believe.

Wow, all this sounds awesome

Auto-HDR is great

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks! The commentary is actually one area Iā€™m not happy with lol but I appreciate the compliments.

Iā€™m actually looking at Titanfall 2 today and beat it for the first time. Took plenty of screens to see how well it reaches 6K.

Awesome post! Iā€™ve become a bit obsessed loading up random games just to see how well they run now lol

2 Likes

There is actually a workaround to play the game with unlocked framerate and still unlock achievements! I have to look for the Reddit post, though