The Xbox Series X|S Storage Card is no longer an accessory, it's damn near required

This easily the best spenditure I made lol. Not worrying about what I have installed is great and I know Ill never play 2TB worth of games at a time.

1 Like

Iā€™m using an external SSD through a USB 3.0 and itā€™s more than enough for now for 8th gen titles and 9th gen with old xdk (like SOT, MCC, etc), those games are not using any advanced API, the limit is still CPU.

As far as iā€™m concerned its a luxery. Iā€™m not paying 230 bucks for an extra 1TB. Right now I donā€™t need it. I manage my games properly.

And me not playing Destiny COD or any big games gives me some more space to work with

Iā€™ve said this before when i got the series X and this storage thing was announcedā€¦1TB is not enough for a 230 investmant

When they announce a 2TB solution then iā€™ll consider it.

EDIT: didnā€™t realise i already posted on this thread lol. My opinion hasnā€™t changed on the subject.

Thats wbat this tech goes for so I dont know how its not enough. Dont buy it then and swap your games around if thats what you want.

Thats tbe beauty of xbox ā€¦ choices.

1 Like

Itā€™s a little less than $200 if you wait for typical deals.

I just use a combo of internal for S/X games Iā€™m currently playing or will be soon, a 1TB SSD for BC games Iā€™m playing, and 4TB cold storage drive for the stuff Iā€™m not going to play for a bit. Itā€™s not as easy as other solutions but isnā€™t too big of a hassle.

No download cap on my ISP so I just have to be ruthless with what I delete these days. Have been keeping 100GB for flight sim recently

1 Like

I assumed I would need one when buying the console (but would wait for a sale/price drop) but have since come to the conclusion that I really donā€™t.

Downloading in the low power state is reliable, so when I want to switch games around in my library I just do a round of delete and downloads before I go to bed and ā€˜switch offā€™ the console.

Everything is ready for me the next day.

When all you need installed is all you are actively playing, the 802GB internal is actually plenty. Hell, I would probably get on fine with the 360GB on the Series S.

My personal issue with MS is that NVME drives are not needed for 99,9% of the new GDK games also, a simple USB SSD can make it without problems and itā€™s only a system toggle which make it impossible. They want to gouge people on accessories as usual, all of them (in this regard Sony and MS are equally bad).

This dude has made a topic saying its required. And Iā€™m not buying it. I donā€™t care if thats the tech. I said itā€™s too much for 1tb. I didnā€™t say itā€™s overpriced for the tech it is. I know itā€™s expensive. Which is more a reason for me to wait.

I donā€™t care if itā€™s 200 500 or 1000 dollar tech. For 1 TB itā€™s not worth it for an upgrade. 2TB at 350 dollars would be more enticing.

Thereā€™s no gouging for this. This is probably costing them more to make. They canā€™t sell it to you for less.

My issue is the amount of space. If Iā€™m spending hundreds of dollars. I rather go deeper and get a 2TB. So Iā€™ll wait for a 2TB when itā€™s priced appropriately.

That was my take before July. Now that I see so many titles I am going to be playing soon, that are Series Optimized and requiring NVME storage, I changed my mind. I traded off cost for my own convenience and got the 1TB.

If they announce a 2TB expansion card in the next month, you can all thank me for my sacrificeā€¦

Iā€™m probably the only person here who will never need the SSD storage card or any extra storage in general. Yay me!! lol

Me neither, lol. Iā€™ll probably never need to have more than 5 games on my console at once. Also have a gigabit connection, so redownloading isnā€™t the end of the world.

I have AC Origins, AC Odyssey, AC Valhalla, Bright Memory, Cyberpunk 2077, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Outriders and The Division 2 all installed which takes up 60% of my storage space. Except for the upcoming The Ascent, I donā€™t have a major massive game until Far Cry 6 which will be a disc purchase and once the base game is complete, will be uninstalled and traded in. I have a 1gig internet connection which usually averages around 600mbps, sometimes higher or lower depending on the time of day but no complaints. I downloaded AC Origins/AC Odyssey in like 15 minutes each which wasnā€™t bad at all since theyā€™re around 90gb or something like that.

I only way that I could see myself running out of storage space is if I have 10 or so games that are live service (ala The Division 2) and goes on literally for years and years with new expansions and content. Other than that, I donā€™t see having an issue for the entire generation and what I just mentioned is slim to no chance of happening.

1 Like

The hyperbole on here is quite something. Just use cheap SATA SSD cold storage.

I mean if you have no problem moving games back and forth people should use the storage they want. The Xbox expansion works fantastic and I avoid all that hassle.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you can sell the 1TB and get the 2TB.

Iā€™m in a position right now where Iā€™m managing the space well. I do not install games I donā€™t plan on playing within a few days. My backlog is huge. But I donā€™t need all my backlog games installed.

I donā€™t have an external hooked up to my series x either. But how often are you moving games back and fourth?? How many different games do people actively play in the same week?

Of course it works fantastic. Thr Seagate expansion is a great add on. But itā€™s no way near essential right now. Certainly not for all. For some sure.

In theory Noone needs it. Itā€™s nice to have. But going back looking at my gaming historyā€¦Iā€™ve never really expanded my storage before first 2 years of getting that hardware. When I bought the Xbox one it was a 1TB forza edition. Eventually I got a expansion but thatā€™s because it was cheap and HDD. Same with ps4. But a 500mb ps4 did me fine for at least a couple of years.

Clearly games are bigger now. More space is always nice.

But weā€™ve never been in a position where storage costs half the price of the console for a double memory increase. Even with the latter 360 models. You could plug in a USB hdd and format the drive. A 10 buck USB stick could fit in gta 5 install. Thatā€™s what I did back then.

1 Like

Iā€™m using both I have the expansion card for all the Series X games I have a ton of those and a 5TB usb drive for all the non Series X games. I was all digital last gen and with the great BC of Series X I have hundreds of games I can launch at any time.

I do still have to move stuff around every couple of weeks to make room for new Series X games.

Between BC and gamepass I have tons of games on my system.

Once a 2TB expansion drive is out Iā€™ll get that as well

1 Like