The Xbox Series X|S Storage Card is no longer an accessory, it's damn near required

I’m trying to hold out to get a bigger size hopefully they drop one soon.

1 Like

External 5TB HDD means I can swap stuff around without any difficulty. Just go to the bathroom while stuff is shuffling around!

It would be cool if we could initiate that kind of transfer from the app, I guess!

My only issue is that I really want a 2 TB one.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong and that’s a strategy that I plan to adopt in the future. But it has to be said that it works better for single-player games that you’re playing to completion rather than multiplayer games that you hop in between.

There are certain games that live in storage and persist. For example for my niece the games Roblox, Minecraft, OverWatch, and Fortnite have to be on and accessible at all times. For others it’s games like FIFA and Destiny. These are games that will never leave a person’s hard drive during the life of their console.

I’m currently sitting pretty with an external drive for my X1 but I’ll feel her pain once I move to a Series console where games have to be on the SSD.

I think that was a point that Prog was getting at. BF6, HI, FH5… You can’t just pop into cold storage because you’re going to hop into multiplayer fairly regularly. Microsoft is making a whole lot of these games, interestingly enough.

Disregarding price, and I mean completely disregarding price, this solution from Xbox is actually pretty damned awesome. The fact that these are hot swappable is underhyped. We’re going to get to a point where we will have one external storage unit for the sorts of live games and that we would plug it in just like we would plug in a cartridge. In three years time I hope to have a Series S under one TV and a Series X for another TV, and to have their hard drive full of single player experiences that would want to have on each (to be frank, some games I could play in 1080p just fine and others I would want to experience in 4k). But these “live” titles that I’ll play every day would persist on that external drive and I’d pop it into the console I’m playing on.

4 Likes

Thanks. Having the storage card is also a great way, that I use to organize the Series S|X optimized titles between GamePass and Internal.

If there’s a game that I know I’m going to play alot of, and I either own it or it’s a 1st party title, it mostly goes on the internal because I know it’s not leaving anytime soon. However, GamePass frequently goes onto the external storage card just because there’s always that chance that by the time I finally get around to it, it’s might be gone.

Additionally, with GamePass it’s easy to engage in the “binge” module where I’ll just download stuff I know I would never fully play just because it’s on GamePass. I downloaded Football Manager and I know nothing about soccer. Additionally, while the SSD is required for most (not all) Series X|S titles, it has a huge benefit for non Series X|S titles. I frequently have non Series games on there to help improve the loading.

2 Likes

Good thing about the Seagate card is that if I get an S down the road I got the extra storage ready to take with me.

1 Like

Same here lol. I am just holding out for that one as I think that will tie me over for the rest of the generation just nicely.

My ISP is decent and I have no cap so I have started being really ruthless when deleting games. I keep a Group for games I want to play that are not installed :slight_smile:

That being said, I may retire my OG Day One Xbox One and pick up an XSS for the office. Will definitely need a storage card then.

I wonder if they would ever update it to accept generic external SSD’s through USB or maybe the built in port? That way you can use whatever SSD you want it might run a bit slower, but I am sure the cost difference might would make it worth it.

OR…spend less money on an external HDD with multiple terabytes of storage. I got a 6T external for like 130 bucks. I just swap out games when I am not playing them. It takes about 1 minute per 5 gigs to transfer between the two.

1 Like

Unfortunately that won’t work because developers need a rock solid number they can depend on, in regards to transfer speeds.

An external SSD’s speeds make it a great cold storage device, if you can get enough capacity on the cheap. Transferring entire games from there to the internal is quick. A 50 gigabyte game will transfer from the external SSD to the internal one in just above 2 minutes. Internal back to external in 4 mins.

If you got a 4TB external HDD and a 1TB external SSD for the same price of the official expansion, you could be pretty happy with the end result. It’s definitely not as convenient but you’re getting 5 terabytes of extra storage. All that storage allows you to keep games up to date and not having to update them when you need them.

I hope there are more options because at the moment I can’t justify $299CDN + taxes on only 1TB of storage.

Bought one on day 1. Don’t regret the purchase.

This.

Also You listed a bunch of games that i’ll play and uninstall

I’ve managed my storage quite well. I’ll continue to do so. So. No…its absolutely NOT required if you’re someone who’s smart about what they play and how to manage storage…or if you’re someone like me who doesn’t play Call of Duty or ridiculously large Multiplayer games with bloated sizes.

Flight Simulator is something i’ll pay for aweek and Uninstall. HAlo MCC i’m done with. Don’t care for MLB. Forza and Halo i’ll have space for but again Forza i’m sort of done with after a week. I have 0 interest in COD and Battlefield. I’lll most likely unstall the Halo Campaign once i’m done with it

The 1TB for me isn’t worth the price. For some yes clearly you. But not for me

When they release a 2TB one I’ll consider it. I will of course want to upgrade in the future but right now. I’m not spending $220 on something I simply don’t need.

1 Like

This is another solution. And you’re right its much much cheaper.

They might, but the deal right now is the SSD of the quality (read/write cycles) and speed is pretty much… the cost of the Seagate drive. Sony made a big deal about accepting third party out of the gate, but the only drives that would pass requirements on a PS5 are… the price of the Seagate drive.

I know people are wary because MS price gouged HDDs on the 360, but this time around the pricing is legit. It’s the cost due to the speed required. And USB isn’t fast enough.

1 Like

Stalker 2 is like 150GB on PC, so yeaaaah that MF pretty much gonna become essential soon lol

2 Likes

With so many games being Series X|S optimized and so many new goodies coming from GamePass, I had to order the Storage Expansion Card (NVME). I could no longer tolerate having to juggle games between my external USB SSDs to Internal NVME. I’m now moving the juggled games to it. Such a nice feeling to not have to manage game installs for a while longer now.

2 Likes

They really need to give us more storage options. I just want to buy a 2TB expansion card and call it a day

3 Likes

I got mine not to much after I got my console on launch day, it has worked great. Glad MS had the foresight to have this option ready for launch.

MS really covered all the bases with the Series X

2 Likes