The Verge: Size comparsion of Xbox Series S & X vs PS5

“There are people that love it”

I’d argue that most (not all) people that allegedly love it, wouldn’t love it if it wasn’t a PlayStation.

7 Likes

I mean let’s not forget how amazing of a system the One X was; it’s not like MS engineers suddenly got good, but they had the backing to really spend money on great materials and thermal solutions, coupled with inarguably superior engineers.

1 Like

Thinking of getting a PS5 next summer… No idea where the hell it is going tho…

1 Like

I actually don’t disagree that the PS5 feels more like a leap forward, given the new UI, new controller, wildly different look, etc. On the surface level alone, it looks more iterative, and features like advanced haptics and adaptive triggers are cool selling points, provided they are supported. If not, they join HD Rumble (which I loved) and Six Axis in the forgotten launch gimmicks bin.

That said, Xbox brute forcing their way with so much power in such a tiny box still blows me away, and I feel the exciting aspects of the system are things that need time to grow like DirectX12 features, advanced raytracing capabilities, VRS, Mesh Shaders and more. I think that Xbox’s potential down the line is massive.

The biggest thing of all though are the games, and while Sony has the advantage out of the gate, Xbox has enough loyalty and hype for titles like Halo to get through 2021 pretty OK. Then the machine starts going apeshit with games like Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Wolfenstein 3, Prey 2, Forza Horizon 5, Forza Motorsport, Compulsion and Initiative games, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Gears 6… jesus! And many of these titles are gonna push the boundaries of the Series X and do damn respectfully on the Series S and that is where things get exciting.

I like on paper how Sony has innovated with their haptics and triggers, and on their SSD and those will be their key advantages, but MS’s slow game with an emphasis on power maximization, stable GPU clocks, Cloud integration and RDNA 2 will reap benefits in the long run.

1 Like

I’m 21. I think it looks sinfully ugly standing up but should look tolerable on its side in my dimly lit entertainment center. It’s a bulky bugger and I’m not a huge fan.

That said, it could look like a bag of trash and I’d still be at least curious due to the games. But yeah, aesthetically speaking:

Series S > Switch > Series X > Switch Lite >>> PS5 Digital >>> PS5 Disc.

2 Likes

This is just strawman… The XB One fate was decided back in 2013 when it was lower performance and more expensive. The One X was not launched to drive sale, a med gen console which is the highest perf but also the most expensive at $500 doesn’t do that. But both One S and specially One X changed perception for what MSFT can deliver from its Hardware team.

You could equally have argued that PS2 selling 160M units would have meant that PS3 would sale even more, there was a huge demand right? Yet, poor pricing and not so great perf meant that it sold only 90M and lost Sony $5B in the process too. So, yes, your past performance is not a perfect guide to future performance.

There seems to be still argument that selling most number of consoles is all that matters. Remind me how many consoles Tencent sold? If you have been paying attention to Phil S. (and see the MSFT earning numbers today), you will see that XBox has been trying to diversify to their ecosystem to include PC and mobile. If all your focus is today, you may find that the future is very different. There are some very big players with very deep pockets are entering gaming, and none of them will offer a traditional console.

6 Likes

It is an enhancement. Stop with the console war nonsense, MS shouldn’t promote Gears 5 update for Series X as anything more than an enhancement.

1 Like

2 Likes

I don’t know how, but my brain tells me that the left image is photoshopped somehow. But I know it’s not.

1 Like