The toxic attacks towards Digital Foundry are too much

It’s really sad they are attacking digital foundry and John specifically.

John is genuinely a fan of video games with thousands of playstation games and lots of other retro games.

I don’t understand why Sony fan boys are attacking digital foundry for covering xbox.

Do they not understand Microsoft is confident enough with their console to send it out to hundreds of influencers.

Where as no influencer has the ps5 yet to cover.
Otherwise there would be plenty of ps5 videos too.

This is a hobby we should all be enjoying, I should be able to go on twitter and be excited about games and upcoming consoles.

But these toxic losers are sucking out the fun and enjoyment out of this hobby!

Getting sick of it myself.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it started to get hostile once Xbox One X was released. I do remember xbox getting clowned based on performance of the one. Also DF was considered gospel, but narratives started to change when series x went for power. I don’t get all of the memes that are happening because if series X for example not hitting 4k/60 on yakuza then that means it’s also not hitting that mark on PS5. I don’t understand why people can’t be happy with both consoles being powerful from the jump

1 Like

It’s an issue that stems from two foundations.

1. There’s way more PlayStation fans (and therefore fanboys) in general, which means a larger volume of attacks coming your way

2. PlayStation no longer has the power crown after having it for the first time ever. They obviously throughly enjoyed the time with it and are struggling with not having it now.

Not sure what can be done there.

If I was to attempt to put forward a suggestion, I’d avoid any hardware comparisons for a start. If it’s a PS5 video, don’t even mention Series X and vice versa. Keep it to the console the video is about.

Second, if there is something to say that could be perceived as negative, just word it carefully enough where it’s not obvious or sounds like a big deal.

Don’t know if this would work 100% but I’d like to think it’ll mitigate the attacks somewhat.

8 Likes

Their ‘bias’ is towards gaming tech. When 360 ran multiplats better, DF was seen as Xbox fanboys. When PS4 did better, they were seen as Sony fanboys. If god forbid a game ran better on X1, which happened a few times due to its better CPU, they became momentary Xbox fanboys again until the next face off.

Now, ppl think they are Xbox fanboys because MS has been far more ambitious with their hardware designs and new tech and also far more transparent with it while Sony has been kinda the opposite. So naturally, DF doesn’t has as much to say on the hardware front, and since they can’t test games yet there is not much left for them to do content wise.

6 Likes

It is weird how they’ve only had the power crown for a very short period but people still cling to their systems like some engineering Marvels.

I agree that it may tone down the backlash by wording things more carefully. Just wish they didn’t have to walk on egg shells to avoid attacks from a bunch of man babies.

Yeah I’ve noticed the same pattern. They seem to be biased to the warriors when the results don’t favor their favorite console. I think there is a lot of faulty or selective memory from these people.

6 Likes

It’s one of the reasons I trust DF to be upfront and honest. There is no bias, just technical information.

Some fanboys are never going to like it. And I’ve noticed since the Series X specs were revealed and then the PS5 ones there has been an uptick in even more toxic behaviour.

And certain game writers and forums have to take the blame for this. They’ve accepted and even fed and encouraged this behaviour and this is the end result. It’s hard to even discuss the two consoles in many places without the crazed conversations taking place.

Thankfully places like here exist, where people can agree to disagree and argue their points out like adults not manbabies.

10 Likes

The whole dialogue and buildup to this console release has been awful and toxic.

3 Likes

What??

DF is obviously about tech. They compare and show evidence

There is no bias - Sony just does not give DF much information this coming gen

Frankly this view confuses me

6 Likes

DF has a history with MS, and a preference. Probably because MS gives them access that Sony doesn’t. It’s not a bad thing - everyone has some sort of bias. You can tell that the folks at DF are upset in this video, probably because they don’t have a PS5 to break down themselves. I seriously don’t expect Sony to give them one either. Maybe after launch?

Seems Sony doesn’t really care about the hardware, and it isn’t part of their messaging. They are focused solely on the games and QoL improvements of the SSD. These are not something DF focuses on, so I doubt they will see any inside access, though I have been wrong before.

Not sure if that is smart on Sony’s part, but cannot argue with their strategy so far. The thirst for PS5 is insane. I expect to make a good profit off of my launch reservation as a result.

You sound awful bitter, and that is one take.

This is a good summary. Tribalism isn’t limited to gaming or a single platform. It is IMO worse than ever thanks to social media emboldening people to be more aggressive with their conspiracies. Playstations brand simply has a bigger, braver and louder tribe right now due to their marketshare.

DF has such a long, credible track record. It’s disappointing that they have to tiptoe around feelings of console warriors these days.

2 Likes

Any specific examples of DF’s supposed Xbox bias?

2 Likes

Please friends, let’s not make blanket generalizations about people who choose one platform vs another. There is no scientific evidence that preferring one particular system makes you more likely to be toxic and Tweet terrible things at people. Accusing entire groups of people of being a way over a consumer decision is inappropriate. The source of this thinking is similar to what causes the behaviors we’re ironically pointing the finger at.

6 Likes

That folks are even suggesting that they make a concerted effort to carefully craft their analysis and comments in such a way so as not to upset this hostile segment of the PlayStation fanbase actually makes me very sad. This isn’t some fragile negotiating session at the UN, we’re talking about gaming consoles here. Such puerile behavior is not worthy of any such consideration.

4 Likes

I think they already do good enough work being professional with their views and insights as present in their vids. I don’t think cow towing to lunatic Sony fans is a solution. As Kage said, they shouldn’t have to walk on eggshells. I might think differently if they were hyperbolic all the time, but they just frankly aren’t.

That said, I dunno what an actual solution would look like. Maybe a DF policy of no forums or social media posts? That seems unfair since it punishes the DF crew tho. I dunno.

4 Likes

He shouldn’t let things get over him.

He should have experienced it before as well and it is unfortunate.

It’s basically a work place hazard. That’s how media feedback works.

Also, criticising is one thing but calling names and use of vulgar languages should not be there at all. No excuse for harasment.

I"m aware they shouldn’t have to.

But that’s the world we live in. If these corporations stop pandering to fanboys, then maybe it will help get rid of them.

1 Like

Unfortunately there’s no easy solution to this. The insanity of Twitter-users must not be underestimated. The lengths some of them will go to are mindboggling. Jaydub is one of the worst examples, and to be frank, it would suit Sony well to go on record and state that they do not condone this sort of behavior.

There glass house is breaking before them now there preferred platform has issues and people are calling them out, they cant take it :joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

You need some thick skin to survive on social media these days. It’s a real sad state of affairs that people react as if it’s life or death when someone says anything negative about their gaming platform.