The Initiative is partnering with Crystal Dynamics for Perfect Dark development

Honestly, I’ve seen enough of these concerned parties, over the past eight years or so, to come to the conclusion that it’s a mixture of the first two.

@OneBadMutha elaborated what I basically tweeted out last night (saw the news while watching a movie with my wife), and it couldn’t be more on point. This is literally a common practice in the industry; look at any Sony or Nintendo AAA over the past decade and you’ll find plenty of outsourcing, and even plenty of examples of other AAA studios lending a hand. Furthermore, Microsoft has numerous examples of precedent here with Halo Wars 2, Age of Empires 2, Killer Instinct, etc.

4 Likes

All your points are true, but your last one drives me crazy because IMO it affects the discussions here to a large degree, even amongst those who are earnestly Xbox fans. It causes a reflex negative interpretation so many things that we hear about the brand.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be worried about that.

They are being brought in at the development stage, my assumption is that what the game is and how it will play will be prototyped out already. My reading is that they are being bought in to build a game that is already planned out, not to design it from the ground up.

2 Likes

Oh im not worried at all… just pointing out what i deem an argument whicj in my mind isnt a good one.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure the blueprint is done, they just need the skilled workforce from CD.

2 Likes

@Shpeshal_Nick

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

16 Likes

While I think it is weird, I’m definitely excited, because this will lead to really polished game. CD is talented as fuck.

2 Likes

Aw crap, if Nick’s tweeting stuff like this then my prediction about him being on the concerned side of this Initiative thing may be in serious trouble

I’m officialy concerned

2 Likes

I posted before that I have mixed feelings based on how Avengers turned out, especially the buggy mess it was at release, but I’m reserving judgement. I also was one of the Perfect Dark > Goldeneye kids back in the day so I really want the reboot to be top tier.

I do think the massive amount of concern is a bit much.

I’m concerned that you so concerned it is concerning…

Hey, this is concerning concern-cern trolling

2 Likes

I knew it!

what engine this game is using ? i hope it’s not CD own in house engine.

i don’t think their engine designed for FPS

concernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcernedconcerned

1 Like

It’s Unreal I guess.

1 Like

This is quite surprising news (for me anyway). Crystal Dynamics are a big studio now, I wouldn’t have expected them to do outsourcing work like this. But to be fair, I have no real clue how these things usually work.

Bodes well for Perfect Dark though. There is now even more top talent involved in the making of the game. Can’t wait to see it.

SE probably didn’t give green light for next big project. hopefully they sell their WEST Division with IPs

1 Like

Cool, I hope that this means that the game can get out into the world (relatively) soon.

Is this the first definitive confirmation that the game is an FPS? I remember some scuttlebutt about it possibly being a third person game.

This sounds great to me. Hyped to see what the game looks like! :smiley:

Nah. At the TGA’s they had a dev reel before the game trailer that one of them specifically mentioned the game being an FPS.

We’ve also gotten some concept art with third person perspective, so maybe there will be third person elements (like Halo) or maybe that’ll just be for cinematics.

1 Like