The Initiative game could be not the game we are waiting for

There’s some context to this. People who had put all their hopes on, what some people call a Sony game, from The Initiative would be disappointed in XGS as a whole. That’s a different take.

And I think there is some truth to it. There are people who want third person narrative experience from XGS and were looking at The Initiative to get exactly that. Getting something entirely different could sour some people on Xbox.

It’s not that controversial…

5 Likes

Only garbo warriors think like that. I guess some people just don’t want to know unless it’s a TPS with kids used as emotional props in it.

2 Likes

Yes, hence the “morons”.

Gotcha, sounds good. I wonder if Bethesda affected anything.

It’s not about me, Ed.

As I said, most people will not watch it, there’s an article about it, two massive threads on Resetera and GAF respectively and endless tweets, all using it to console war.

Putting out the fire your comments started here does nothing. I see Xbox fans jumping to downplay XboxEra’s integrity as they get trolled about this and I just think it’s a damned shame that could have been avoided.

It’s completely controversial, there will be people disappointed and leave over anything/everything, but that doesn’t mean an unannounced game that could actually be amazing needs that stigma attached to it.

We should be looking to change the narrative to a positive one about Xbox. It’s perfectly possible to convey thoughts on an episodic game without suggesting people will lose faith in 23 Xbox first party studios because of it.

1 Like

Not going to panic yet, but I want more third-person narrative games from XGS. It won’t “sour” me, but I’d be disappointed

1 Like

I’ll be one of the first to be annoyed by the current narrative on Reddit, ResetEra and neogaf about this. But they are the ones taking Nick’s comments out of context. How can we blame Nick for things he didn’t actually say?

If I like real time strategy games (I do!) and Microsoft turns World’s Edge into a racing game developer, that sours me on XGS. It’s just not controversial.

3 Likes

But to me It IS about you.

I don’t care about GAF/Reset. I care about here, because this is “my” community.

So when someone who I’d assume would have watched the entire episode and completely understood the context of what was said, chooses to take an out of context snippet from Reddit, who got it from an unknown website that explicitly framed it in a way for clickbait over…you know, going to the source, it annoys me. Yeah.

Could I have been even clearer than I was? Yeah, probably. Lesson learned on that one. But it seems somewhat unfair that I should keep my predictions (which is what I stated it was) and opinions to myself because the internet sucks.

8 Likes

Only thing I’d say to that Hix…let console warriors console war. They were going to do it once info on it leaked anyways. If anything, this only dilutes that response. In a weird way, the rumors (which weren’t just from Ed BTW) have softened the landing that The Initiative aren’t working on a Sony game. Without those expectations, maybe some of the population will be a little more open minded.

4 Likes

Maybe some people likes a 15-20 hours story driven action adventure games, not all of us wants to spend hundreds of hours on the same game. Also games designed for Game Pass is terrible idea.

1 Like

The thing is, he did actually say that, but that wasn’t his intent. He picked his words poorly and it’s being used as ammo, made worse because it’s ostensibly an “honest opinion” from Team Green, to undo all the hard work MS, its first party studios, and many of it’s fans do to demonstrate how positive the gaming environment has become.

Ultimately we know nothing about The Initiative’s unannounced game. If it is episodic, we know nothing about how it will be handled. It could be an exciting new twist and would almost certainly be made with Game Pass in mind. But none of that matters anymore.

I’ll leave it at that then.

I like you, I like here, I pay money to support this community and have no intention of ever stopping that. That’s why it hurts to see the reputation of this place take a battering, when even Xbox fans have to downplay it’s legitimacy. It’s not right, they aren’t right, but I just wish the whole issue had been skirted.

That’s true, though I do still have confidence that the talent in The Initiative will produce a game that can transcend it’s format.

Expectations definitely were too high for this game, especially since we are Perfectly in the Dark about what it is.

3 Likes

Episodic would make single-player third-person narrative very likely for The Initiative’s game, no? They aren’t going to release a cartoony MP game in an episodic form.

1 Like

Oh, for sure. It could be all kinds of things still.

2 Likes

I still have high expectations honestly. Just not in scope. I can’t wait to see what their talent comes up with. Ironically the smaller scope allows them to take more risks and iterate on things faster. My prediction of how Twitter and Youtube warriors will handle it and how I perceive it are opposite.

Flipping hell, the game hasn’t even been announced yet and people are up in arms lol. This is peak outrage culture.

It’s sort of fun to discuss the rumours of what the game might be and initial thoughts etc, but I don’t understand how anyone can jump to immediate conclusions on a game that we haven’t seen or even heard what The Initiative’s vision for the game is.

4 Likes

the problem here is the waiting between episodes. on TV series You have one week which fine but this ? this could be months because here the game is not complete so they will need to continue to work the episodes until the game is complete or reach the final line.

Also they better not charge $70 for this on the release day and I Don’t care if it’s on game pass

Gaming discussion has become garbage since past gen.

For the full “season” or whatever model they’re gonna use? Yeah, they’ll charge full price.

Sub to Game Pass.

2 Likes

if this is the case then i will rather to wait and get the full game for cheap price or good deal.

Won’t matter what sort of game it is or isn’t as long as it’s on Game Pass. :sunglasses: