The Game Awards 2022 | OT?

Shouldn’t he change date of the show to better reflect that because there are always games that release a a bit after the cutoff. He’s better off having the cutoff late november because he easily missed out on games that might have a shot at GOTY

I see some people on twitter arguing that Halo should be on there.

But, Halo is a 2021 game. I get it, it released after TGA, but isn’t this how its always gone?

No, it was eligible.

It may sound controversial, but it deserved a Multiplayer nomination at the very least. From a purely gameplay perspective, it is still top-notch.

1 Like

It’s always been a tricky question. By the nature of the beast, the ceremony pretty much has to take place around 2-3 weeks prior to Christmas, or it’s not financially viable. Advertisers are going to be much less interested in spending money on the show if they don’t think it may influence people’s gift giving.

With that in mind, nominations more or less have to take place when they do, in order to give everyone involved a chance to do their thing in a timely fashion.

One change I think they could benefit from would be to change the eligibility window. Right now all games released since November 20th last year were eligible for this year’s award, and all games released after November 18th this year are eligible for next year’s. I think they maybe ought to shift that a month or so. Maybe make October 15th the cut-off or something along those lines.

But I also don’t know how much that would help, since recency bias is generally considered having a big impact on what gets nominated.

In the end I think it helps to realize this stuff is just for fun and not to take it so seriously.

2 Likes

i’m glad Stray is in GOTY, they deserve it. hope it’s on Xbox or Gamepass soon.

surprised that As Dusk Falls was nominated for something… good.

These awards are not gonna beat the 3rd person action adventure bias allegations :sob::sob:

More predicable than the Oscars

3 Likes

Cyberpunk Edgerunners?

I mean the voting was done too early which didnt help Forza.

https://www.gameawards.net/?m=0

This list clearly shows how well Forza was actually received critically.

Theres no doubt a lot of people who voted for TGA changed their stance on forza by the end of rhe year as it came 3rd overall in critic/reader awards

OR they didnt even play it bu thr deadline. In which case Geoff can **** himself for such an early deadline.

1 Like

If Stray was on gamepass and not on PS you can bet your bottom dollar there would be no NOM

1 Like

I didn’t play Stray, can’t comment on its merit, but you gotta wonder why stuff like Stray and Celeste get GOTY nods but not Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 2020?

1 Like

Ori would be a shoe in if it came out this year.

Xenoblade 3 being nominated suggests to me they ran out fo games to vote for and that its been a terribly weal year

I sort of agree. I enjoyed xeno 3 but GOTY? Cmon now.

Weirdest nominee reveal is that Nibellion is on there for content creator of the year. Honestly can’t believe it lol

2 Likes

Stray was fine, solid 6.5/10 in a real 10 point system. I do not understand it getting a GotY or Action GotY nomination at all.

6 Likes

Edgerunners is great but Arcane is just next level .

1 Like

Probably true, haven’t seen Edgerunners but it has recency bias and more annoyingly vocal fans

The irony is that Forza Horizon 5 was release on the 5th of November (or was it 9th), while GoWR was released on the 9th. GoWR would not skip the nomation. It is not a racing game after all but a flagship of Sony. Even it was released later, it would be still nominated one way or another.

The next year TGA should be interesting.

Something Something timed Sony exclusive

Stray shouldn’t be on the list. And one thing I have always thought was weird is that it’s the top 6 games instead of the top 5 games. Top 5 just sounds so much better and prevents add-ons. lol

My personal pick is obviously God of War Ragnarok which im hoping wins but I wouldn’t be shocked or surprised if Elden Ring wins. The one that wins multiple awards throughout the show will be the one that loses. RDR 2/GOW 2018 for example.