The Future of Xbox Events. What Should it Be?

Im still hoping they show Starfield in like May to give it enough time and then have a full E3 in June for every other game

Right now I just want it to exist.

Show games and show deepdives, forget about interviews and devs talking, talk about the games while showing it.

Many ppl seem to think wanting Xbox to stop focusing so much on E3 means wanting them to no longer do big punctuated events, but no, it’s literally just about keeping that + a more regular cadence of updates on games throughout the year instead of all the focus on the same 2 big events (E3 and TGAs). I figure 2023 is when that starts.

3 Likes

Agreed. Also, it’s not like Xbox is missing studios to deliver content on quarterly basis and do E3 season the fullest of content.

3 Likes

Means more work for devs no matter how many studios MS has.

I just want Xbox to change their formula of only having one big show in the middle of the year and also do shows dedicated to one game like for example Avowed should get one as well as Redfall because if they only get gameplay trailers in the same show as Starfield they will get overshadowed.

Let’s hope that wait for 2023 won’t become wait for 2024.

3 Likes

I would like to know what they are going to do with quakecon and blizzcon.

I know these publishers have different fanbases (specially in blizzard case) but wouldn’t it make sense to combine those show into an xbox fall showcase? This what I imagine could happen:

1. Early year showcase (between february-march)

2. “E3” like show (between may-june)

3. Tokyo game show (july?)

4. Some kind of participation in the gamescom (not a different show, maybe extended showcase of some of their games from E3)

5. Xbox’s fall event (between sept-oct and could show more xbox studio stuff)

6. Game awards (with one big game)

But again, dont know what will they do with the events ABK and zenimax have (personally I would ditch them)

2 Likes

I dunno, I am one of a very select few that don’t really care about these things. I would be fine with game updates via Xbox News Wire. Once something is announced, Im only really concerned about when I get to play it. I don’t need constant updates on it.

1 Like

Gamescom should focus on game pass announcements from european developers and that’s it. Gamescom and E3 are too close each other.

Oh thats a good idea.

Yeah, I’d like that too. I think those State of Plays that Sony does focused on an specific game to highlight story, gameplay etc is pretty great.

1 Like

The old “everything at E3” model is dead, they should absolutely copy Sony and Nintendo’s way of disseminating info.

You could have the greatest showcase ever but with how quickly everything moves nowadays and people’s attention spans being that of a gnat, they’re easy to forget and move on from.

Pepper people with info throughout the year…show trailers, logos, concepts, etc. They have the content to do it now.

Hell I think it’d even be cool to see like small mini docs or a roundtable discussion about upcoming projects, hopes and ideas, roadmaps, etc. Could even announce stuff during them. Not everything has to be a huge OMG HYPE~!! announcement…

These shows take weeks/months to prepare for. I’m sure XGS devs appreciate having only to prepare for two or three showcases a year. (Summer event, XO, TGAs).

If they were to do own events dedicated to their games, it should only be at the studios discretion. Plus with the integration of blizzcon and quake con there will already be infrastructure in place to show off more games at more events.

1 Like

Xbox should do a show when they don’t have anything to show. I’m sure the internet wouldn’t over react to that in the slightest, not one bit…

If MS doesn’t have anything to show while Sony and Nintendo keep showing stuff then they’ll have to step up quickly somehow.

It’s been 5 years since Hellblade (we’ve seen gameplay from the second part, so nothing to say here) and Forza Motorsport 7.

4 Years since Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, We happy few or since The Initiative was announced.

And 3 years since Gears of War or The Outer Worlds. And there’s also the case of 343 with Halo, which ended the last game in 2015 and released the next game in Dec 2021 still lacking a lot of content.

We know Bethesda will carry this June/July’s conference with Starfield and Redfall, and if Machine Games keeps their usual pace, we could see something from them as soon as this year too, but i don’t want the older MS studios to follow the 343i path

For me it’s really hard to believe Xbox doesn’t have anything to show. I understand they wanting to keep Forza Motorsport for E3 season, but at least Machine Games and Arkane have anything to show. If they add Fallout 76, Sea of Thieves and Halo new season news, it is ok for a first Direct format. The first Nintendo Direct and the first State of Play were both horrible, but they started someway.

3 Likes

I’m pretty confident that this won’t happen, I mean at some point all the studios they have will start releasing games.

1 Like

IMO if they can’t have a good show they shouldn’t have one. Xbox doesn’t really get the pass that Sony and Nintendo get when they have trash shows.

3 Likes

I mean you’re right. But I think sooner or later with MS owning 5x more studios than Sony and Nintendo…they’re gonna have to branch out events. Right now its fine but the game development is gonna be cranked up in the next few years.

Another thing i’d like them to have is individual gaming events. Bethesda are a huge company…rather than have 1 big MS event at E3 have another one for Bethesda specific games and another one for Activision in the future

The idea of having a 3 hour show and combining Bethesda/Activision as one big E3 presentation is going to stifle and alienate a lot of games and showcases. 3rd party publishers will opt to show their games on Sony’s events more if they think they have to compete with a billion MS games.