The first gameplay for Avowed has been revealed in this new trailer. Coming 2024

Originally published at: The first gameplay for Avowed has been revealed in this new trailer. Coming 2024 - XboxEra

During todays Xbox Game Showcase Microsoft and Obsidian Entertainment revealed the first gameplay trailer for Avowed. It’s launching in 2024.

We at Obsidian Entertainment know players have been anticipating an updated look at Avowed and we’re excited to show off what we’ve been working on with a first-ever gameplay trailer today at Xbox Games Showcase 2023.

Expanding the universe that we created for the original Pillars of Eternity games, Avowed brings a new perspective, a new way to fight, and a new land to explore in the world of Eora. The Pillars games are near and dear to us and we can’t wait to share Avowed with everyone next year.

In Avowed, you’ll explore the Living Lands, a plagued, wild island set in the world of Eora. The Living Lands are full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choice and consequences.

Unique to the world of Eora, the Living Lands is home to bustling port towns and rolling hills adorned with weird and fantastical plant life. Every part of the Living Lands is home to its own ecosystem. Around every corner there are creatures, sentient mushrooms, or tribes of lizard-like Xaurips looking to make you their next meal…

As with all our past RPGs, the companions in Avowed play a major role in your adventure. The first companion you will find is Kai, the narrator of this gameplay trailer. Kai is a Coastal Aumaua currently residing in the Living Lands and is one of the only friendly faces you’ll find here. He is a former soldier, and his idealistic and pragmatic temperament will help guide you as you venture out into this wild frontier.

First-person combat has been a huge focus for us. We’ve incorporated a host of ways for players to fight the flora and fauna of the Living Lands. You will have swords, shields, pistols, magical spells, and more at your disposal, including the ability to dual wield, creating a vast number of combinations to choose from.

With combat so full of possibility, diversity in choice will be needed as you explore the treacherous Living Lands. Home to the Xuarips, plagued undead, and dangerous flora, this island is full of unique enemies to encounter.

We’re looking forward to sharing much, much more with everyone as we get closer to the release of Avowed next year.

Avowed will be released in 2024 on Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10/11, and Steam. It will also be available on day one with Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass.

9 Likes

Big let down for me. Graphically like looks early last gen and early last gen. Gameplay could be fun but I’m getting similar vibes that Redfall gave me

2 Likes

Yeah, also a bit disappointed. It was expected though, the first trailer looked too good.

It looks like a real game now. Combat looks great.

2 Likes

Very disappointed, I expected a more valuable production. Please MS CDPR after Activision.

2 Likes

I liked the gameplay and the use of magic to be honest. The game has a lot of potential, and people expecting big graphics weren’t paying attention, Obsidian’s size isn’t huge considering they are on multiple projects, and it’s an RPG after all.

The characters looking small a bit like Redfall or Grounded, i didn’t like that but hey

Yep, looks like an Obsidian game. Will be there day one.

10 Likes

I liked this trailer a lot. I wasn’t looking to Avowed, now is maybe one if the XGS games I want to play the most

4 Likes

Game looks great to me.

10 Likes

To be honest, most people had their expectations set way too high for a new Obsidian game. They’re still a midsized studio.

I thought the trailer looked great. Just… the tagline was… lol.

9 Likes

Some of the environments look strangley similar to ToW from an art perspective. The combat looks like it will have a lot of depth though and it should have that Obsidian writing.

5 Likes

Loved what was shown, I’m sure Obsidian will deliver on the front of RPG systems/mechanics like they always do.

6 Likes

Yeah it looks like The Outer Worlds fantasy edition and that’s not a bad thing to me. That’s what I was imagining from the start actually. Although, I’m not expecting Bethesda systems deep stuff, but I hope there’s some depth to it.

9 Likes

Interview with Carrie Patel here

Patel wouldn’t spill much about Avowed’s story, but did give me some of the basics on what form of RPG to expect from Avowed:

• You have an established role as the imperial envoy, but your “personality, appearance, and philosophy and vibe you bring to that role is up to you as a player to decide”
  • You can play as a human or an elf, but not other races
  • It’s purely singleplayer—no co-op
  • The world is lightly systemic: think water and lightning interactions, but not the ol’ bucket-on-the-head trick
  • You’ll have two companions with you at a time, with their own combat specialties and, of course, personalities
  • There are several ability trees to progress through, and you won’t be locked to a particular class or playstyle
  • You will level up, but the focus is on unlocking abilities rather than putting points into stats to grow stronger

Also confirms the game is a similar scope to The Outer Worlds.

14 Likes

The vibe just doesn’t fit in the Pillars universe for me. Maybe it’s mistaken expectations but the art style just doesn’t work for me. Hope the game play is still good.

I thought the trailer looked great, this game will scratch the Elder Scrolls itch during the long wait for ES6.

9 Likes

I can’t wait to return to Eora. It’s been too long.

1 Like

Trailer was fine. I think expectations were raised, but also atm the world doesn’t scream the Pillars Universe atm, far too cheery lol.

4 Likes

It looks like Eora with a F2P cartoon filter on it

1 Like

Yeah I’m kinda mixed on the cartoon look as well. But I trust Obsidian to make a great RPG.

1 Like