The Bethesda Three Game Juggling Act Argument Thread

Look Ill happily play remade versions of 1 and 2.

3 Likes

Bethesda went a generation without Elder Scrolls. Xbox just made a massive investment and has the resources to avoid letting that happen so I’d say it’s likely they avoid letting Fallout sit on the shelf.

3 Likes

So again. If BGS has no plans for the IP beyond support for 76 Are they gonna force them to make a game or take the IP away? Bollocks. They dont even force Mojang and Minecraft to do that so BGS doesnt have to do anything.

Xbox made a massive investment for long term content so you dont gotta “blow your load” in a single generation that already will have like 5 AAA first party rpg’s to begin with. What a terrible worse case scenario that Fallout 5 could launch the next xbox truly horrible.

I’m sure Microsoft doesn’t want to see one single player Fallout game every 12 years

2 Likes

Todd Howard will be 75 when Fallout 6 comes out at the current rate

3 Likes

There has been no ES due to limitations Bethesda have faced prior MS buyout. They couldnt do ES and SF and F4 all at once.

Now that MS are here, the budget will increase and the manpower and everything will get fastracked

3 Likes

I think having one game from each series per generation is a fair ask/expectation. No one is asking them to pull an Activision here.

4 Likes

And I think it happens. Maybe even spin offs as well

After Starfield release they should have hire more people & have 3 teams at BGS main team get working on TES 6 full time smaller team get working on a Fallout NV remake wile having another team start pre production brainstorming working on Fallout 5 problem solve.

1 Like

Every Xbox console will get a Fallout, ES and Starfield project in some capacity

1 Like

The fact that Obsidian made New Vegas and we are no closer to a sequel is a crime.

3 Likes

Would be nice to see a BGS game every 2 years, 6 years between entries in a series.

3 Likes

I don’t see a sequel but i do see a Remake wile they decide the direction on how Fallout 5 will go in.

You have no evidence that BGS had no plans for Fallout beyond Fallout 76, so there’s no need to consider that unless they come out and say it.

Second, as @Hindle has stated several times the gaps have been due to resource constraints. Xbox easily moves those barriers out of the way. Matt Booty explained that’s essentially his biggest part of his job.

If you don’t think there’s people at Bethesda, inXile and Obsidian that arent chomping at the but to work on Fallout, then you’re delusional.

All Xbox and Microsoft have done with Minecraft have done is turn it into one of if not the most valuable gaming franchise on earth. These same people are now looking at Bethesda and Xbox and trying to maximize the impact of Bethesda on game passes growth. I have a feeling Fallout is one of the thing that will be at the top of their lists and they won’t dictate, but they’ll ask each studio at BGS, Obsidian and inXile if they’re interested in working on a Fallout game for this gen.

2 Likes

The only real solution other than just outsourcing the franchises to someone else is to expand BGS such that it can support concurrently working on two AAA games in full development, while also supporting F76 as a service title.

BGS Austin is now basically the support for F76, and the overall company is working on Starfield while a smaller team is doing early work on ES6. But this “1.25 game pipeline + support” is still going to leave increasingly large gaps because games take longer and longer to make and require more and more labor per month to meet increasing production value and content requirements. If the same number of staff BGS has now was working around the same time Skyrim came out, they would have been able to have 4 Skyrim sized games in development simultaneously. Now, it’s 1 and a bit.

3 Likes

Fallout 76 should be outsourced at this point or taken up by Zenimax Online.

1 Like

With Microsoft now owning Bethesda, I really hope they’ll expand the company.

They need to greatly increase their employees, because if not it will be decade before another Fallout comes out.

I also feel like MS needs to find a way to remake old Bethesda games, too.

Because you can’t tell me if tomorrow Bethesda was to announce that Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout: New Vegas was to be remade people wouldn’t run out to but them.

Maybe even throw in the old extra DLC campaign files for New Vegas that never came out, also.

4 Likes

I have been following the Zenimax jobs page since 2020, and there has been a steady increase over time in the number of job openings across the board. There was about ~180 job openings in late 2020 and ~250 now. But it’s hard to tell what is just normal staffing requirements and what might be because Microsoft opened the purse strings. It’s also not clear if they started extra hiring earlier with the anticipation of the impending acquisition or if they were waiting until March for the ink to dry.

3 Likes

It would be really hard if both will be made by BGS. Elder Scrolls VI is like 2026 game at the earliest

They’ve been hiring lots of people too, so the fact the numbers are steadily increasing even while more people join means they’re growing. Last BGS number I saw was over 500,which means they’ve grown quite a lot.

1 Like