The Ascent |OT| Behave, or I'll have you fucking recycled

Honestly, the overall score is where I was expecting it to be. Ruiner is 77 and Alienation is 79 on OpenCritic. Dead Nation for PS4 and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are lower than 74 so like I said, in line to what I was expecting. Majority of critics aren’t into twin stick shooters. The 5’s and 6’s are like meh whatever but that 3/10, I mean come on.

Oh well. I enjoyed the 30-45 minutes that I played and will start fresh tomorrow since I will be able to play the entire day.

1 Like

I played this a good amount last night, and I am definitely much closer to the high end of the review scores range. It looks and plays really great on the Series X, and the game world is freaking cool. It really got going for me when I started pouring into boosting evasion combined with use of a shotgun for up close and personal fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m having issues with the small enemies as well, what’s the trick?

I honestly believe that unless a game is fundamentally broken to the point that its un-enjoyable that a score like that is just nonsense.

3 Likes

I did better just repeatedly pressing RT to shoot instead of holding down the button. Seems to be more accurate with the handgun this way. Didn’t try any other weapons.

Agreed. So very happy that I don’t go by critics and their review scores because I would be playing overrated games that I don’t enjoy or have interest in while missing out on the underrated games that I do enjoy and want to play.

That review was a joke…

Played for about an hour yesterday and really enjoyed my time with it! I’ll 100% Death’s Door then finish Omno (which is a really cool game as well!) and then deep dive into The Ascent with 2 friends! co-op chaos and all! :partying_face:

2 Likes

it’s because some of the higher scores, like ours, don’t get factored in to the “top reviewers” section.

1 Like

people seem to be ignoring the weapon stats. until you up it your shots spread like crazy and it feels bad. once you get points into that stat you get less bullet spread and far better accuracy.

3 Likes

This game is so dope! It’s not a mindless twin stick shooter. You have to be constantly on the move while popping your enemies over cover points and from the hip. I can’t describe to you how fundamental it is to not treat this like a cover shooter. I had an absolute blast last night, and I’m gonna go back to rocking it again in a few… don’t miss out on this gem. That’s real shit!

4 Likes

Ugh, like I guess you guys can’t ugh, like wrap your heads around the concept of people having like, ugh…different opinions…ya know…like…lol and stuff

Sure but like a 3 tells me a game has to be infamously bad and broken.

2 Likes

No HDR in this game??

umm, umm, umm, I just feel like , like that’s like your opinion. Maybe a 3 means something else to other peop…haha, okay, I can’t keep this shit up

I totally agree with you guys. That score is complrete bullshit. I was just mocking the people who ALWAYS have to throw the “different opinion” argument out there, even in the face of of such obvious differing circumstance

A 3 to me is definitely indicative that the game is fundamentally broken in some way and just plain bad in my opinion.

Decent number of bugs in the game, but so far after 6-7 hrs I am LOVING it tbh. It is GREAT in co-op when bugs aren’t causing issues and has been perfect for me in SP.

3 Likes

It was promised… doesn’t seem to work on series x tho.

Thank you, bro! To be honest I had maybe played the game for all of 15 mins when I made that post. After playing the game for roughly +2 hours the game feels much more tight and responsive now. Just needed time to figure out how to evade enemies (dive roll is key) which allowed me more time to line up some clean shots on enemies.

4 Likes

Good to know that the stats actually increase the weapon accuracy. However, it’s weird that the laser sight is nothing unless lined up with the reticle. This is my only major complaint now in the game since it’s connected to the hit detection. Hoping they patch the reticle out completely or give an on/off option and just use the laser sight for aiming/targeting.

That reticle is confusing me … whats the point of the laser sight then.

I don’t know. The setup reminds me of Hotline Miami which I hated and couldn’t play because of it. It’s almost like you have to line up both the laser sight and the reticle.

As someone who’s played Dead Nation, Alienation, Nex Machina, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris and Ruiner, The Ascent should have simply copied those games.

Laser sight to aim with either RT or the right analog stick to shoot. The laser sight AND reticle seems to just be copied and pasted from PC which makes sense since it would be setup for mouse and keyboard. Problem is that never translates to a console’s controller configuration.