The Ascent |OT| Behave, or I'll have you fucking recycled

Reviews really are all over the place.

4 Likes

After watching reviews, I have to say: this game looks gorgeous. Not going to lie, might be one of the best-looking games Iā€™ve seen. Love the neon colors. Everything just looks so pleasing.

3 Likes

Starting it up and getting to the first combat of the tutorial it dawned on me that somehow I have never played a game with this combination of camera angle and combat style in my life. I had no idea what I was doing and of course died like 5 times in a row. I was getting nervous that I wasnā€™t going to be able to play this game at all.

I looked at controls again, realized that I wasnā€™t even using something that Iā€™m really good at, evading, at all. So after adding that and figuring out how to actually use the right stick, I actually know what Iā€™m doing now and can tell that I will really enjoy this game.

Played for 30 minutes. You can play off-line even via Game Pass which is weird because I couldnā€™t do that for whatever reason with Gears Tactics. Anyway, I have a bunch of nitpicks like the info being small as fuck text despite playing on a 55" screen, there are dialogue choices in regards asking an NPC questions which is cool but every one selected makes the cursor go back to the top dialogue question which is annoying. A few other nitpicks as well but again, just nitpicks.

My major issue is the hit detection. Iā€™m NOT holding down the LT button and im still missing shots for the small creatures early on. Also, I realized that itā€™s better to keep pressing the button when using the handgun instead of holding it down despite the game telling you to do so. The reloading is weird to where if you donā€™t let go of the RT button after emptying a clip, you wonā€™t reload automatically.

After the hit detection, my major issue is the reticle. Why is there a reticle? Thereā€™s no reason for it when guns have a laser sight attached to them. Thatā€™s the reticle. Itā€™s so annoying. I hope they patch the game to include an on/off option for this. Also, why canā€™t I turn off the damage numbers? When a lot of stuff is going on, that doesnā€™t help.

With all of that said, im actually going to buy the game especially since I have a lot of credit because despite my issues, this game is exactly for me. I loved Ruiner, Alienation, Dead Nation, Nex Machina and the two Lara Croft games. Granted, only Ruiner is truly similar but I do love these types of games.

TIP: Instead of crouching under pipes, you can evade/roll under them.

1 Like

Be sure to explore the map. I found a weapon that would cost me 5000 credits at the vendor :wink:

A 64 on metacritic. Lots of people weā€™re excited about this game and the reviews are all over the place. Iā€™m enjoying the game very much but others are not.

Bought the game. Cost me only $24 plus tax after the 20% discount. Will start fresh tomorrow.

Early on? Was it a sub machine gun guarded by two ā€œneutralā€ enemies?

Yes, precisely!

Also found 2 other armors in that zone that saved me 4000 credits. So far exploration seems very rewarding.

It has a 75 on PC metacritic which is strange. Based on the reviews I have read, aside from the graphical differences, the overall experience seems to be the same, including bugs and what not.

1 Like

Nice!!! I didnā€™t find anything else but I only played a little bit. Will do a lot more exploring tomorrow when I start the game.

Also found components which can be used to upgrade the weapons instead of buying new ones. So yeah, thereā€™s a lot in that initial zone.

First impression, this game actually feels a bit rough around the edges.

Think my main problem is that everything is so loud. The sound effects are dialled up to 100, all the colours & lights are giving me a headache, everyone you speak to SHOUTS AT YOU & a lot of them ramble on for ages, speaking in some mad gibberish for every. single. line.

Combat feels ok I guess. Took me a minute to get used to the aiming though. Had to turn the aim assist to high before it clicked. The impact of the guns isnā€™t great either. Hopefully thatā€™ll improve with time, as my stats increase & stuff.

Not really a great first impression, to be honest. I was really looking forward to it as well. Was ready to love it. Fingers crossed things will get better after a couple of play sessions.

Combat has way more depth than I initially thought while fighting ferals. With human enemies you have to use cover and be way smarter about the engagements, itā€™s definitely not a mindless twin stick shooter.

2 Likes

Nice. I think I found components but I just wanted to test out the gameplay/combat due to that reticle but knowing this is good to know. I will definitely be exploring all of it tomorrow.

Playing co-op with my son and both are really enjoying it so far. Graphics and explosions are mental! Looking forward to getting more hours in.

2 Likes

Looking at the review spread Iā€™m still surprised to see it end up on 74 OC. I guess there were just enough reviews (7) in the 3 - 6.5 range to really drag it down. Damn shame.

2 Likes

This game looks freaking incredible! Wow, really enjoying it so far

1 Like