That Insomniac Leaks spoiler filled discussion

Insomniac are an efficient and technically brilliant studio, and I’m sad seeing them be a Marvel machine. Happy for those who dream of that, but for me, it’s unfortunate. I would’ve like if they at least make 1 Marvel + new IP/revival in between.

5 Likes

Insomniac really is carrying Playstation right now.

3 Likes

And still they have nothing to show until late 2025.

5 Likes

Yes they are. But is it worth the costs? All that work for at most the same revenue as a few months of GamePass Subscriptions.

3 Likes

First game around $100m, why this significant increase?

1 Like

The big winner in those licenced games is Disney/Marvel. They just insanely collect money.

No surprise GOTG and Avengers did flop if those licence fees are so high. It also shows why owning the IP is important.

Disney even get 50% of any hardware bundle, they just laugh when Sony comes naked at them asking for a licence.

14 Likes

It’s especially funny because prior to this leak everyone seemed to think that Sony had the most pull in these deals. Guess that is another Narrative we can put to rest.

5 Likes

PC port information is interesting.

Most ports cost nothing to do and can be done by just sending a mail to Sony by the devs. Some underperformed, but since it is basically free port (2.6M for ratchet port) of old games released at full price without marketing, what should you expect ?

3 Likes

Insomniacs output puts most devs to shame.

1 Like

SM2 selling 10M units and only bringing 75M profit is crazy. No wonder Jim Ryan was pivoting so hard towards GAAS. That current business model is completely unsustainable.

15 Likes

I think I said this the other day, but you only need to buy a Marvel license with percentage royalties. Anyone can do it, it’s just insanely expensive and even the most successful game means you don’t own the IP and have a massive slice cut.

Interestingly, Sony does seem concerned over ABK (not just to block but actual concern)

1 Like

Its not quite that if you read the longer explaination of it. It still has to get multiplied by the royalty rate for the game, if thats their meaning.

Bundle Price * (Hardware Bundle Rate) * (Royalty Game Rate)

Wholesale Bundle Price * (35% to 50% hardware) * (9% to 18% digital or 19% to 26% physical )

4 Likes

Been saying for ages that people querying about Game Pass and whether it is sustainable are barking at the wrong tree, as selling a retail AAA game is the thing that is unsustainable.

14 Likes

I already said, there is a reason the stock market of Sony is not worth more.

1 Like

There aren’t enough console players interested in Sony’s AAA games to justify a 300 million dollar budget.

In fact there aren’t enough console players in the world to justify that sort of budget anywhere, save perhaps for GTA.

Games aren’t movies. They have limited reach. Companies have been trying to break that glass ceiling of 200 million or thereabouts total console gamer customers for decades now.

It hasn’t happened. The PS2 remains Sony’s best selling system… 20 years ago. The market is what it is. Either companies can produce content which is budgeted accordingly & makes the right amount of profit, or they’ll eventually go under. It’s that simple.

4 Likes

The market has grown since the ps2. To mobile primarly and PC too.

You are right that Sony vision is not compatible with increasing costs, unless you are right to pay 100$ for a a game very soon (we already do with MTX and season pass and deluxe editions)

1 Like

The budget for Spider-man 2 was $385 million (!).

1 Like

The cost of those AAA has many outcomes

• very high risk of failure and layoffs and closure
  • very conservative game design and no taking risks
  • focus on licenced IP and sequels
  • high retail prices
2 Likes

This is a budget of a Marvel movie. This is not surprising since you compare on one side a film full of CGI with a game full of … CGI

at some point, making a movie and a game require producing the same assets, the only difference is that a movie can be seen by hundreds of millions of people at a cheap price and resold by Tv, cable and streaming and retail disks for a very long period

2 Likes

Mother of god.

1 Like