Tales of Arise is upon us. Reviews are out

There’s a balance between attractive sexy characters and oversexualised pervy costumes.

Both scarlet and this seem to have that balance. Yeah fanservice isn’t great and is a bit distasteful but also going the other way and making very feminine characters look like guys I’m not a fan of either.

3 Likes

I have 3 takeaways from the Tales of Arise demo:

1. It’s gorgeous
  2. It’s silky smooth even with loads of flashy effects going on
  3. OH MY GOD, JUST SHUT THE HELL UP. The characters NEVER STOP TALKING during fights.
3 Likes

Ahaha… Welcome to Japanese ARPGs. This is very common in Tales, Xenoblade, Ys, and such.

Have you never played a Tales game before?

Actually for the Tales series shouting the move they’re performing is a helpful thing also there’s a lot of coordination involved as far as team work and even tactical changes in battle so I’ve got no issue with this

I’ve put about 30 mins into the Demo and I’ll stop there. Don’t need to play anymore as It makes it harder to wait for final game. Can’t wait. I LOVE the new mini Gambit system they employed.Will make fights far more interesting in the future being able to control exactly parameters of when your characters perform certain actions.

Do you guys play with English voices or Japanese? I can’t stand English voices in a JRPG and there are some examples of games out there that absolutely ruin your ears with bad, baaaaaad voice acting.

yes, Japanese games (or games featuring them like GoT) work best with japanese voices, in my case, despite how good the english dub is.

1 Like

Played a bit of the demo and enjoyed it, will pick up. Feel like the amount of hammering RB is going to lead to some pain in the arms lol

Japanese. But I will say, back on 360, before the days of Japanese games having dual audio, Troy Baker as Yuri Lowell (Vesperia protagonist) is still my favorite role of his. His voice is one of Yuri’s defining traits in my mind.

Depends on the quality of the English voice acting and the general tone of the story. I’ve played through the demo switching between both and while the Japanese is obviously better delivered and higher quality some of the skits in english were way funnier. I only switch to Japanese if the english is star ocean 4/5 or tales of Symphonia 2 levels of bad.

This isn’t a Yakuza game where the actual game is set in Japan or is part of that culture. Its just an anime game and I’ve seen many anime dubbed.

There are Rare cases where the english is actually better than the JPN. FF12 comes to mind.

Agreed. Love Yuri’s English voice. It was way better than the JPN one though I couldn’t say the same for everyone else which was a shame. Also a shame is in the DE they had to replace his voice for a ton of the extra dialogue. Was worse.

I see, man.

I’ve tried watching anime like Naruto and One Piece in English but I can’t take it, my ears can’t take it, haha. I find it horrible. As soon as I switch it to the original voices you just hear that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Covid has also negatively impacted the actual sound quality of dubs right now I feel. There are games like Cold Steel 4 and even Arise where it sometimes sounds like they’re talking with a pillow on their face or through a laptop mic.

Cold Steel 4 is a very low budget game so thats not surprising. Arise they had enough time to do quaity work. This game would have been out last year if it wasn’t for Covid…i’m pretty sure a lot of the voice work was done before Covid but not sure. And even in Covid…the quality of ound shouldn’t be an issue. People from home can record voices. A ton of game devs gave expensive voice kits to actors for them to record vocies and lines.

Those are things you just watch so yeah harder to tolerate if you don’t like them. Doesn’t bother me in games unless they’re really really bad. And I don’t know if you’ve played the original 360 version of star ocean 4 or infinite undiscovery…that’s a level of bad that I will avoid at all costs.

I played Star Ocean with Lyml in it, is that the one? Good lord , good lord that was horrible. It also has those twins, or was that Infinite Undiscovery?

None of those games are from tales series, nor wew bandai namco titles.

Eh, ok? I know that :slight_smile:

But the person replying to me talked of Star Ocean and IU.

Yeah they aren’t Namco Bandai but thats irrelevant. These companies use the same level of actors and sometimes the same for their localisations. We weren’t talking about Namco specific games. Just JRPG’s in general

But if we want to talk about Namco I did mention Tales of Symphonia 2. You can go back to Xenosaga 2 as well having some awful VA.

I don’t find it especially helpful when I’ve got three or four people constantly shouting over each other.

Helpful to what? What are you trying to do or achieve that requires you to hear something. I understand the criticism but in context it doesn’t really matter. Maybe you should change voices to jpn. Some games let you change battle voices and mute them. Not sure if it’s I’m this.

You literally said “Actually for the Tales series shouting the move they’re performing is a helpful thing also there’s a lot of coordination involved as far as team work and even tactical changes in battle”

I’m saying I don’t personally find it helpful. Because the combat is so fast paced and everyone’s firing off moves so quickly, a team member saying what move they’re performing provides no valuable information to me because everyone’s just talking over each other non-stop in one big useless cacophony.

1 Like

lmao this