Steam Deck (Handheld) Revealed

Must admit, in kinda interested in this.

2 Likes

Im reading a lot of assumptions here about perfomance, battery life,etc specially comparing to the Switch. Guys,this isnt a switch, its a portable PC. And Valve knows what they’re doing.

I doubt this will be very future proof, like some have pointed out already. But its not gonna be “dead” on arrival either.

If I got this for lower end pc games. I would use this over my phone.

Your Library on Deck (steampowered.com)

Steam has a site up to see which games in your library are verified. Numbers arent good for me. Currently only about 10% of my games (1200 titles) are verified. Only half of those, ~60 games, are actually Verified. The other ~60 games are just “Playable”.

“1078 games untested”

2 Likes
1 Like

I want this thing to take off so Nintendo can get of their ass and make a much better Switch equivalent ASAP.

so is steamdeck more powerful than a series s?

If not I still dont see how it would be as hard to get a series s into portable form. Keep the screen 720 to put less load and save battery. dont have games do 120 for the same. keep the 60 fps at 720 and I feel a lot of series s games can make the jump personally feel like the screen doesnt need to be the same size as a switch. Make it vita size which is still great and again save battery. make it digital only so no internal reader needed etc. I totally feel like its doable but im not an engineer so im sure I sound dumb right now. Charge 300 and up for models with more memory

Nope.

2 Likes

Steam deck is weaker then PS4… DF approximates it to be a PS4 but at 720p resoultion compared to 1080p of PS4

1 Like

Has anyone received their email inviting them to purchase yet? I was in the December 2021 batch before they delayed the release, but no email yet.

Does it use a special port for charging?

I thought I saw a link somewhere that would show you where you were at in the preorder queue (as in, what quarter). Google skills are failing me, does anyone know about this?

What you mean by special port?

It only has one USB C port on it for charging and peripherals

I think there was renders of dock station with some custom port or something

Steam Deck is:

• 4 core/8 thread CPU @ 2.4 - 3.5ghz
  • 8 CU RDNA 2 GPU @ 1 - 1.2Ghz. (1.6 TFLOPS)
  • 16 GB LPDDR5 (around 88GB/s)

For comparison the Series S is:

• 8 core/16 thread CPU @ 3.5Ghz (single threaded) or 3.4GHZ with SMT (all 16 threads)
  • 20 CUs RDNA 2 GPU @ 1.565 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU (4 TFLOPS)
  • 10GB RAM (8 GB @ 224 GB/s, 2GB @ 56 GB/s)
1 Like

Oh yes, it does have it… Not released yet

Gabe delivering the Steam Deck himself… But people not caring about it :joy::rofl:

If you guys are planning to play Destiny 2 on Steam Deck, then don’t do the alternative. They will ban you.

300? hahaha. DOuble that and we can start off with one with 10GB SSD maybe. A series S equivalent of a portable would be close to 800 bucks and that’s not factoring in the SSD

Mine arrived today after many months of anticipation, and yet … it’s been brought to my attention that they’re selling on ebay for around £2000. £2000! I had zero intentions of being any kind of scalper when I pre-ordered this, but that is money I could put to much better use than playing Factorio on the toilet. I can’t decide what to do. I think I’m probably just going to keep it, but it almost feels irresponsible to do so.