Starfield |OT| You're Finally Awake... In Space!

We already see from Klobrille’s tweet about inside gaming coverage, that the media is likely already preparing for their next click bait cycle.

The negative press they threw at Starfield was so much bigger, started earlier, and continued for longer than Cyberpunk 2077 did. I think they’re likely going to do so again because they were able to milk those clicks for so long.

I really wish it that wasn’t my first thought, but they earned every bit of my doubt with the way they cover games.

2 Likes

Indy is suddenly on the front page of the new Edge magazine now it’s been announced for PS5 - so I’d put money on the negative press suddenly easing up if Starfield got announced for it too.

Really sucks there’s a PS bonus and an Xbox penalty in nearly all gaming media…

7 Likes

I mean no offence but I really dislike the Cyberpunk 2077 parallels that some Starfield fans try to make.

Starfield has nothing it needs to redeem itself for. It was not broken on platforms that it launched on and it’s the least buggiest Bethesda game ever. There’s no need for any “saving” or “redeeming” for this game.

I think people just need to be at peace that Starfield won’t be as beloved as FO, TES or Cyberpunk. Just because that’s the case, it doesn’t mean it needs a “redemption arc”.

We don’t need to pin all of the games hopes onto the DLC. I rather just view the expansion as what it is, a hopefully fantastic expansion for an already very good game.

7 Likes

Starfield won’t get a redemption arc from the media, the narrative had been set a long time ago and everything to do with the game was scrutinized 2x. Infact there’s a higher chance the media just doubles down and becomes more negative.

Games reception is very easy to judge nowadays, ex. Concord was hated from the beginning and Astrobot was getting GOTY shouts from the trailer alone. Judging from online discourse, not many seem to be interested in giving Starfield another chance. So, a great expansion will only get them more goodwill from existing fans, I’d love to be wrong though.

CDPR was a beloved company before Cyberpunk, it was much easier to forgive them. Bethesda last unanimously loved game was Skyrim. Even Fallout 4 had its detractors and F76 was hated universally. Since then, it has been acquired by Xbox (reason to hate) and have their games have been made exclusive (another reason to hate) so it’ll probably take the next elder scrolls game being amazing and probably multiplatform to have a comeback as a studio who is acknowledged as one of the industry’s best again.

6 Likes

Starfield was already “doomed” by the gaming media before it even came out. I don’t think I’ve seen so many hit pieces on a game prior to it’s release in all the years I’ve been gaming on consoles.

14 Likes

Ultimately, the game did well financially and is receiving great support from Bethesda. So the hate brigade screaming into the void did not stop this game from finding it’s audience.

2 Likes

Currently driving the Rev-8 in Volii Alpha/Neon’s ocean, and Sarah said fancy a dip. So the Rev-8 was always meant to be taken into the water?

Players would do it anyway, so Bethesda had to program some behavior for it. Seems like a great way to hunt for sea fauna for scanning.

And Bethesda has said there is much more to come. It’s great to see this.

That being said, i should go back to this but now I have Ubi for a month to play Outlaws, sigh.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was doing. I have never done the scanning for sea fauna on Neon because it’s all water and on other planets because I never upgrade my scanner(they could be too far regardless), I tend to shoot and sea fauna to get the scan.

Sarah also said she always wanted to go sailing and if I fancy a did in the pool, so definitely meant for it.

Yes, that’s why the wheels are the way they are.

4 Likes

I jumped back in ever since the vehicle was announced and all I’ve done, rather than use the vehicle, was play around with ship builds for 8 hours. I was so engrossed that I’m not mad at myself for it, even though I could have beaten 2 games in my backlog that I’m itching to finish.

I do hope that they expand shipbuilding a bit more going forward, but can understand that’s it’s low priority at the moment.

Some stair sections and ports to prevent ladder creation would be nice.

Now that I’ve got a crew of 8 I’m finally going back into the story. I’m actually still really early into the game. Probably an hour into the main story and I’m at level 117 or so.

9 Likes

WTF? I have one story mission left and im at level 60. lol

It’s sad to see that the media’s negative narrative about Starfield actually worked. The message was repeated and repeated until people believed it, and now here we are.

5 Likes

When I started and saw what was possible with the starship creation I knew I wanted to live out my sci-fi fantasy with a decently sized crew and ship. So I did as many sidequests and XP farming that I could to upgrade my ship to class C and my leadership to have 8 crew members.

And now that it’s ready I’m going to tackle the main campaign. Though I started creating a few different ships, one being a rescue ship to evacuate colonies, research facilities, and space stations. Another to transport science crews to research outposts. Just got into it.

As you can tell I grew up watching Star Trek. It would be cool to have missions like what I described above but I suppose mods can cater to that.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Shattered Space looks awesome. Two weeks to go!! Hyped and can’t wait!!

2 Likes

Agreed !!!. Can’t wait for this myself and I’m super hyped too.

1 Like

I don’t want to watch the Shattered Space deep dive as I want to go in more or less unspoiled, but has anyone heard whether there’ll be new skills introduced in this expansion?

Also, how common (if at all) is it for Bethesda to introduce new skills via expansions? I’ve played most of their games since Morrowind, but this will be the first time I’m going beyond the base game.