Starfield |OT| You're Finally Awake... In Space! [NO SPOILERS]

I am still great full that they offer third person mode.

1 Like

I’m actually expecting very little, if any Alien stuff

It’s clear they are going with a grounded direction with this, maybe the game will end in that more sci-fi direction where it’s a first encounter type thing but nothing more than that

All BGS games have had a 1st and 3rd person perspective since like 2002 lol. It to be expected .

Skrim, doom, deatgloop, and many more have third person view?

I don’t play there games but don’t think these games had tps view

BGS = Bethesda Game Studios, their games ever since Morrowind offered a third person camera :slight_smile:

Doom is by ID and Deathloop is by Arkane.

1 Like

Skyrim, yes. Doom is made by ID and Deathloop is made by Arkane like Staffy said.

After the Redfall news (30 fps at launch, 60 fps supposedly coming later), Starfield had better be 60 fps at launch on the Series X.

This is not a joking matter. My Game Pass subscription will live or be cancelled based on this trend. I never gave performance any thought whatsoever because Xbox has been so good with its fps boost program & 60 fps patches on the console (& even 120 fps for Halo games). No way can Starfield be 30 fps now. It’s not possible.

I’m not going back to a console gaming landscape where people who want 60 fps are told to either A/Buy a Pro console or B/Build a powerful PC. Visuals in most game releases these days aren’t what’s ‘next gen’, whereas performance is. It’s literally the feature which makes the Series X a next-gen console & not just another One X with a few extra bells & whistles for 500 euros.

2 Likes

We gotta wait and see man, we have yet to see ANY Xbox footage at all. The footage we’ve seen so far is from PC, last year, which wasn’t stable. We also got the more recent footage which wasn’t a lot but it clearly was more stable.

That’s why I would argue it’s a necessity that they show it on Xbox in June. But if they see it that way too…

1 Like

If Starfield releases at 30 fps on the Series X, I’m going to go right ahead & say there’s a fundamentally broken approach to making games in this industry.

Devs seem hellbent on pushing pixel counts, texture resolution & global illumination features which have questionable impact on improving a game’s visual presentation based on the actual hardware cost of these features. All this trend does is push people towards constantly buying new PC hardware to run the latest games.

But visually it’s not like games in 2023 look that much better than games did in 2018 (including open world titles). I mean compare something like Starfield (from what we’ve seen so far) to Cyberpunk 2077 or Assassin’s Creed Odyssey & I just don’t see how 30 fps for Starfield could be justified on the Series X.

1 Like

Starfield will have a lot of systems and it’s way more interactive than AC Valhalla or Cyberpunk. When it comes to BGS I’ve always looked at it this way…is it a significant jump over their previous games? Then I’m happy. We went from Morrowind to Oblivion, which was huge. Then to Fallout 3, again big and then Skyrim. The jump from Fallout 4 to Starfield in terms of lighting, character models, animations, texture work etc it’s a huge jump.

1 Like

Yeah. All of that is indeed true. But as a first person game it’ll still be a difficult ask to make me accept 30 fps.

The shooting is going to be rough, no question. It’s why I feel gamers need to actually unite on this issue & say “we care more about your framerate than your texture resolution or pixel count”.

Starfield is going to be the first real AAA Xbox Series X ‘exclusive’ (whereas Halo Infinite & Forza Horizon 5 were on last gen as well). We deserve better than a “oops, our most powerful Xbox ever can’t actually run a current gen exclusive at 60 fps, sorry!”.

This will be even worse if they release it at 4K 30fps. It’s like having all the wrong priorities rolled into a game’s release.

Notwithstanding everything I just posted, I still believe we’ll get a 1080p 60 fps performance mode for Starfield on the Series X. It’ll drop frames but the VRR range will cover 95% of it.

That’s my prediction.

1 Like

I can agree with some of the things you’re saying like how this gen shouldn’t turn into “One X with an SSD” lol.

I will play Starfield mainly in third person though… So a possible 30 fps won’t be as bad. Maybe a 40 fps option for people with proper TV’s could be nice?

A Switch-graphics in 60 fps would ruin things too much though.

1 Like

We probably need the Starfield performance thread already, because otherwise the Hamlet’s are going to take over the thread. with their drama.

5 Likes

If stsrfield delivers. It will get away with 30fps. It can because of the type of game it is. Redfalll however cannot. That is a devestating blow for Arkane.

If third person in Starfield is like third person in Fallout 4 & Skyrim, it’s going to be ‘optional’, not the best way to play.

Modern games don’t play well at 30 fps. There’s too much geometry, small details & the HDR compounds the issue by increasing the contrast.

I mean people can defend these sorts of tech decisions as much as they want but for me it would be a fundamental mistake for console manufacturers to reverse course & attempt to make 30 fps standard again at a time when people have bigger tv’s with HDR & the games themselves have high contrast high detail visuals which do not cope well with panning the camera at 30 fps at all.

We just can’t rewind the clock & go back to the early One/PS4 generation now.

2 Likes

Console manufacturers have nothing to do with what frame rates the games run at though

2 Likes

They do in this instance because it’s a first party Xbox title (like Redfall).

That’s the part that’s ‘concerning’. I can’t believe Xbox believe 30 fps is fine, not after all the effort they put into differentiating themselves from the competition with the FPS Boost program & 120hz support for their games like the Halo Master Chief collection.

Visuals have simply not made a jump which justifies lowering framerates to make these newer games run on the hardware. Diminishing returns are a fact now, i.e. a last gen Xbox One game is going to look & feel better to play at 60 fps than Redfall will at 30 fps.

I think Xbox & Bethesda need to listen to these opinions about framerate tbh & not pretend this is still 2015.

3 Likes

I expect third person will play a whole lot better than Fallout 4 did. The animations sure look a lot better, now we need to wait and see if it feels way better too.

This is why clarity is key, after the showcase we should not be in the dark anymore about whether it’s 30 or 60fps. This should not be something they wait to announce until a few weeks before release.

1 Like

You will be in for a rude awakening