Starfield |OT| You're Finally Awake... In Space! [NO SPOILERS]

1. Doesnt change that the game is good now, has a dedicated fanbase and has turned its fortunes around.

2. Saying its a mediocre game all around IS disingenuous because its not true at all in the slightest.

1 Like

The same dedicated fanbase that defended this game even at launch. Every game has a dedicated fanbase.

IT is true. I donā€™t see what this game does thats remotely special or interesting. Its was an abysmal game that got fixed into a working one. The notion that this is some open world masterpiece is hilarious. When games like RDR2 and BOTW have changed the standards for Open world gamesā€¦here you have what is a multiplayer survival fallout Open world that is as generic as they come.

Bethesda need to make sure Starfield and ES6 set standards. Not try and make a mockery of their reputation with failed experiments like FO76

F76 open world is better than any Ubisoft/Sony open world with the paste copy AC formula attached (ā€œquest: find 10 pigs etcā€¦ā€), Bethesda is simply better than anyone bar Rockstar to create coherent open worlds (imo is a tie between them), maybe TW3 is another exception (not Cyberpunk, which is a lark mirror). They mismanaged badly the launch, I repeat every time, but if you play it now, it has more things to do (and very high quality ones) than 95% games and the map is really diverse and change your experience, in many open world games the map zones are simple reskins of the same things to do over and over. From a narrative perspective, Wastelanders is very good and now we are halfway to the brotherhood of steel storyline, so far so good, therefore, even the narrative complain you make is really outdated.

Considering this, I have great expectations for Starfield, which has no one of the F76 problems (rushed because of money concerns, new multiplayer framework for the engine never really tested before, Sony blocking cross-play, which harms any multiplayer game, expecially the ones with launch problems, etcā€¦) being a classic single player rpg.

3 Likes

Sounds really good. Can you give me some examples of what makes this game world so good? I donā€™t inrend to play it anytime soon but Iā€™m definitely curious.

Yeah I have to say that I completely dismissed Fallout 76 but @Roronoa_Zoro90 you make it sound really good!

Is it at all worth a look for someone like me, who is a single-player through & through, completely uninterested in any online multi-player aspects?

I like the fact that everywhere you go, you are automatically leveled up par to the wild animals, monsters and such (I donā€™t really like the old concept of areas tied to certain monster levels), then you have to mix the Bethesda writing of the quest, if you have ever played a TES or a Fallout, you know what I am talking, imo only TW3 is as good as Skyrim in this department (or Obsidian). Then, the world is really gorgeous (unlike the facial animations, which are the worst thing of the game imo from a graphic standpoint) and, unlike maybe prettier worlds like Ubisof/Sony ones, physics does exist (lol), so at least you play with the illusion of immersion in a living world, not only a beautifully crafted one.

@anon15396042 You can play completely on your own, bar some achievements if you are interested in them. Clearly there are some ugy things, as I said, facial animations/models are really too outdated imo (much worse than an AA like TOW for example, which is inadmissible imo) and there are some bugs/jankyness typical of Bethesda games.

1 Like

Yes you can. Its how I mostly played it.

1 Like

@anon15396042 if you can get the Series X somehow Id give 76 a go with the FPS boost tbh.

Ill gladly take the resolution dip for it if it means playing at 60fps lol.

All I need to do is finally get a Series X then!

LaughingCrying

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m suspecting actual space travel and space walking and exploration shall play a very big role in this game. Just hope itā€™s not needlessly padded out. Even Outer Wilds (not worlds) did it really well.

Since this is the game Todd has always wanted to make but couldnā€™t, it being his new IP in insane many years I truly hope itā€™ll be something special.

Maybe with NMS the person on that forum means RPG elements, building your spacecraft. With The outer Worlds he might mean you get to visit locations that have people walking around, towns, city(ies), settlements etc that you can actually fly to. That would be awesome. Hopefully Starfieldā€™s game world is full of interesting things to see, do, a exploration worthy world.

Development time wise itā€™s the longest BGS game ever.

1 Like

so ā€˜Pointā€™ just confirmed they meant Outer Wilds, not The Outer Worldsā€¦

That kinda bums me out tbh. I wanted large sci fi cites and settlements, but it sounds like it might just be vast nothingness if itā€™s like those other two games. I guess weā€™ll wait and seeā€¦

Considering nobody knows a lick about Starfield beyond the title and subtle leaked images Ill just happily wait for Todd to sell me ice in the artic.

2 Likes

I canā€™t imagine that from a BGS game to be honest. Itā€™s been in development for like 6+ years, itā€™s his dream game, the game heā€™s wanted to make since day one. Thereā€™s no way there arenā€™t settlements or a city with NPCs.

But at the end of the day we have no idea and itā€™s kinda a big bummer that ā€œinsidersā€ are giving info, the info I rather get from the horse mouth.

But this is the problem with these kind of things. New IP, all we heard was sci fi and space. So everyone is going to speculate in their own way what this could mean. Same as you, I was hoping for exactly what you were hoping. Man I really hope it wonā€™t disappoint.

Wat have seen it being called a space epic, sci fi. Todd saying it has a lot of new systems, which could mean anything, but will retain the Bethesda DNA, that to me sounds like it will still very much be a BGS game. God, can it be E3 already.

I 1000000% believe there will be towns and settlements.

Outer Wilds and NMS could literally just be referring to space travel

This is a great video. Posted it in the studios thread too. This is what we truly know, thereā€™s no way this isnā€™t going to be special.

1 Like

Yeah, in the video I posted the dude shows artwork by other artists but where BGS people got inspiration from. All kinds of stuff can be seen. From here on out Iā€™m gonna ignore what these insiders are saying. I just want it from the creator to say it and nobody else.

I donā€™t know anything about the game of course, but I feel like they might be doing Starfield a disservice by using those games as examples despite them both good games IMO.

People looking to play Starfield are expecting something really big in scope all across the board.