Starfield and Redfall delayed to first half of 2023

im pretty excited for grounded after just finding my love of survival and base building games

Not gonna lie. I did not see that coming. As everyone else has said though, Iā€™d rather them take their time and release something polished than a buggy mess.

The one silver lining is that thisā€™ll give me time to play either Hogwarts Legacy or Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. Provided they do release this year of course. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Is it safe to come here lol?

At least Xbox will have games in the first half a year :phil_lmao:.

5 Likes

Not having a first party release for months that slips into year + isnā€™t silly takes. Thatā€™s the current reality, and Iā€™m sure Phil isnā€™t exactly thrilled either.

The idea that people are disappointed is ā€œsillyā€ harkens back to the console war BS where you canā€™t ever be negative or even realist about the horse you bet on so to speak is idiotic

Is this the end of the world for MS or Xbox? No. Is this obviously a big issue for the Xbox division? Yes. To spin it any other way is just denying reality.

6 Likes

Xbox just chose a really lame time for this announcement. People were riding that E3 hype high before announcing this out of the blue. They really should have considered bringing us this news during E3 alongside some good news. I guess the conterpoint is that they didnā€™t wanā€™t any bad news at E3, but itā€™s still a shitty time to announce it.

5 Likes

Well, I hope MS is preparing those fat checks to grt 3rd party AAA games on Game Pass DayOne because if notā€¦

1 Like

I assume Phil and Greenberg already been told by Todd when tweeting that recent pic that both games need another extra of a few months to be ā€œpolishedā€.

1 Like

Well on another positive note. Starfield might win the Keighleys that year lol. Elden Ring puts a damper on that happening this year

3 Likes

If that the case then maybe all of the other games are getting push back to? Like Hellblade, Fable that is the worst outcome

its funny i finally watched the gotham knights video last night and i was like im not feeling this but it comes out at the same time as redfall and starfield later so ill be on those :(.

Iv been catching up on my backlog anyway and imagine if bethesda released these games and they had issues. It would be worse PR wise. While disapointed im glad they will release it when ready

2023 is gonna be a battle between Zelda and Starfield.

1 Like

This is good new in a way. Bethesda doing what they normally donā€™t - quality assurance. :man_shrugging::joy:

2 Likes

Ill take Gotham Knights on gamepass day 1

1 Like

Itā€™s probably because i donā€™t overly care whether the game i play is 1st party or not, but Iā€™m glad both games are getting the extra dev time they need. Starfield especially needs to come out of the gate strong as itā€™ll likely be one of the biggest games Xbox launch quite possibly all gen. Having a Cyberpunk style stench on it would be hugely damaging so if itā€™s a choice between this November with the cool release date but game that isnt ready or a 6 month delay, Iā€™d go with the latter personally. Theyll be enough games to keep me occupied this fall whether they come from Microsoft or not.

One thing im curious to see is when the two games do launch. Both have had pretty hefty delays (especially Redfall) so you would guess maybe Feb/March for Redfall and maybe May/June for Starfield? Gamepass or not i imagine they wont want to release them too close to one another.

Maybe itā€™s my age but i find it harder to get worked up about delays and droughts, etc. Id be more concerned if we had no idea what was cooking but we know thereā€™s a hell of a lot of games coming in the future, a lot of which will no doubt be awesome.

3 Likes

I agree but they had to announce it pre E3 rather than a new date appearing on a Starfield video saying 2023.

4 Likes

Look at the brightside, Hogwarts legacy, Warhammer darktide, scorn and atomic heart will come out this year. Iā€™m sure there would be a few more surprises to the list.

Not sure about Atomic Heart. That game is made in Moscow so I wouldnā€™t really count on it appearing anytime soon.

1 Like

E3 would have been a terrible time for this to be announced, keep that only for good news. They also couldnā€™t really announce the delay after spending E3 quadrupling down on this years release date.

One thing for e3 though, nobody will take any release dates put out seriously.

I agree, Here is what iv played in 2022 wolfenstein 2, subnautica, subnautica below zero, Last of us 2, doom eternal dlc rogue legacy 2, dying light 2 elden ring, guardians of the galaxy and now spec ops the line. so many good games. I dont always play them right away as you can see sometimes waaaay later. xbox will be fine

2 Likes

The delay itself isnā€™t bad, but it is ridiculous XGS having no games confirmed to release in 2022 with more than 20 studios. The excuses given previously donā€™t work anymore. They must invest a lot of money to bring day one games from other studios to game pass this year.

13 Likes