Square Enix and Xbox

Thats pretty lame from Square to not do a native port for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 on Switch.

All cloud games i tested on the Switch are from a third party cloud provider - Ubitus. So there is a market here for white box cloud streaming.

1 Like

It’s simple. Big name brand games are huge on every console. No name, new, or small Japanese games just don’t sell well on Xbox. Let’s all be completely honest with ourselves, if Persona 5 had been Xbox exclusive instead of PS exclusive it would have never had done as well as it did. Xbox owners tend to just buy the big name brand Japanese games. I wish it wasn’t that way but unfortunately that’s the way it is. Japanese devs know this and don’t want to risk spending money on an audience that won’t support their games.

Who reading this finished Dragon Quest? Which one of you played D4? I am sure there are some of you but when you compare those who played the games I mentioned and say a Resident Evil game it’s day and Knight. Did y’all play Valkria Chronicles? How about that new Tales of game?

2 Likes

I don’t mean the Xbox port was a mess.

I meant development wise, bringing the game to switch was a mess.

They made the game for ps4 and pc on an UE4 version that didn’t supported the switch, when support was added they had to rework on all assets to port it down to switch, and lost the higher quality assets of the original version. But since they added content to switch version and it was using a new version that became the standard that was ported to Xbox (and both ps4 and pc re-releases as well).

All that because they simply couldn’t port the original game to switch and had to make a do over. This wouldn’t have happened if they could just port to Xbox and make that run on switch through the cloud. It would have been cheaper, taken less time, not create a downgrade for all versions in the process and Xbox would have received the game sooner.

Perhaps I’m not explaining myself too well, but I don’t mean that developing for switch is a mess. I mean the console is a generation behind Ps4 and Xbone in computing power so it’s obvious going to take a lot more resources to port for it.

Running games through the cloud solves this problem. You get to run the game at higher settings, resolution and framerates that switch would, and it’s cheaper and faster. That’s why they are doing it for KH3 instead of going through the hell that downgrading the game would require.

I’m not proposing anything that isn’t being done already and that Ms themselves said they have the interest in pursuing, I just think that Ms is way ahead of everyone else in the market and they are losing clients that they could win over by leveraging the synergy of their platforms to create a win win scenario for all involved.

The publisher gets their game on switch faster, cheaper and with good global availability, Ms gets more clients using their streaming infrastructure justifying more investments to improve it and more support for Xbox.

That’s already happening as the cloud ports on switch are only increasing so there’s definitely a market for them.

In fact Capcom and Square and others invested 45 million dollars in the company providing the cloud infrastructure for them in Japan, so you can bet it will increase even further.

It depends on how the remasters are created. I wouldn’t doubt they running it from a ps2 emulator that could potentially have trouble running on switch.

These Kingdom Hearts games seem to run just fine on really low end PC hardware :woman_shrugging:

@LucasTaves I think you’re overestimating MS clout in Japan, even enterprise-wise without considering Xbox. Imo there are many other partners japanese publishers, other than Nintendo, could go for cloud stuff.

You must really dislike that MS and Sony may work together on cloud.

Thats Microsoft enterprise Azure and not Xbox as people keep implying here.

1 Like

That’s not a japanese focused only partnership, it’s more for western regions, so it’s sensible. In Japan there are many players other than MS for cloud stuff. Moreover, as @javycane said, it’s Azure business, not Xbox at all.

I would assume a global solution to streaming would be preferable to a local Japan only one.

1 Like

I was speaking about the Nintendo stuff with cloud games, which is japanese focused and why MS was not their first choice, nor SE or Capcom one.

Well, it looks like Microsoft can now be considered a choice.

I’m not talking about Nintendo. I’m talking about the publishers.

Nintendo has nothing to do with Square releasing a cloud version of their game.

And its exactly what I mean, not that Ms has clout, but that they should be more aggressive price wise to get more clients.

Downgrading the switch version to a cloud version when it would sell millions as a standalone native game in Japan is a terrible idea dude

Yes it would be easier but that’s not viable

Switch version had to be built from the ground up. And that’s fine.

By itself. DQXI S was an excellent switch game.

Switch is below your low end PC hardware. Lets be real. A PC equivalent to a switch is my old 400 dollar dell laptop that has a slow i3 processor. Which I bought 8 years ago.

Switch could easily run the older games as they run fine on PS3 a 30FPS. But it would take a lot of effort to port them…In my opinion. Theyre about 2 years too late. This KH collection should have come out on switch as a native port years ago. KH3 as a cloud game is fine. Switch can’t run KH3 unless its severely downgraded.

The only downgrade would be the internet connection to be required (which I’m not sure it would be much of a problem in japan tbh), everything else would be a tremendous update. The game would be prettier, running at a higher resolution and framerate, and would have come to switch earlier than it did.

And the game could still sold millions, companies doing cloud games on switch sell them standalone, unless there’s some data that proves that the cloud switch versions are not selling due them being cloud based. But I think that’s not the case since the publishers are increasing their cloud offerings for the console, have invested 45 million in the company that manages the cloud infra they use, and now for a similar game that would for sure sell millions on switch in Japan as well have decided to use a cloud version instead of going through the process of downgrading everything again just so it runs on switch.

I think part of the appeal of the Switch is portability and you lose that once you go streaming. If I was a publisher I’d only consider it if there was no way to do a reasonable native port or it had a pretty niche audience.

That said, cloud versions of FF16 and Forspoken would make sense.

by then the new switch will come out. Certainyl after the exclusivity deal is up with Sony.

That is the root of the problem. SE games simply don’t sell on Xbox, especially not in comparison to their Nintendo and Sony offerings. Until that changes, this won’t either. The hardest part of giving up the PS5 this generation was the lack of SE support. Thank God still have my switch for games like Triangle Tactics.

They’ll never “sell well” if they keep porting them years later, full priced and sometimes with botched releases, lol.

4 Likes