Square Enix and Xbox

The Japan side has more numerous IP, but Eidos IP is no slouch either, some of the most beloved pc games of all time (Deus Ex, Thief) plus Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kaine, Just Cause, Life is Strange

I forgot about Legacy of Kaine. And so has SE it seems. Is there another publisher who has neglected as many IP’s as SE? Can’t think of one except Nintendo but they’re gonna put out new F zero and Earthbound games one day.

Instead of making a new LoK game they make another licensed Marvel game. Fuck this company.

Sega, lol

Lots of companies around in the 90s and 00s have tons of abandoned ip unfortunately. Microsoft is not innocent of course, several rare IPs dormant, a lot of games they published in the pre Xbox and early Xbox era are not even for sale anymore and totally forgotten. Sony has abandoned nearly every ip it developed internally in the ps1 era and a lot of ps2 era ones also.

The problem is that games take like 4-5 years to make at scale now. Back then you could make a competitive vifeogame as good as most others on the market with 25 people in 18 months. The # of total games that come out from major publishers like ubisoft and EA are about 10-20% what it was back then, despite also having 5-10x more staff. It’s not even possible to keep all old ips in rotation while also creating new ones. The only way you could fix this is by making most of them indie scale and renting the IP out to such creators.

Problem is SE have put some absolute dross

Astria Ascending…are telling me we couldn’t have gotten a Valkyrie Profile instead of this mediocre game? Cmon

IDK if they are fooling with Xbox or they are serious anymore, lol, I’m hearing similar things about FF14 since 2018 at least…

Just fooling - this is about getting some seed cash to put FF14 on xbox.

If your talking about the one recently added to gamepass its nog a game that se published. It only has a connection beause the a ff writer and composer helped…square enix did not create it or publish it.

Must admit that owning both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, I don’t have to worry about the decisions Square Enix makes in regards to timed exclusivity because whichever console it releases on first is where im playing it. I know it’s a multi-platform game but if I play Guardians of the Galaxy, it will be on Xbox Series X while next year’s Forspoken will be played on PlayStation 5 as im not waiting two years to play it on Xbox and that’s if it even gets released for Xbox when the timed exclusivity expires.

It’s mostly the Japanese games from Square Enix that will skip Xbox because they don’t sell which is true because even here, I see so many people pass on games because they will just wait to see if/when it hits Game Pass so when you have a user base with that mindset, majority simply aren’t going to buy those games and because of that, Square Enix just isn’t going to bother.

Best option would be to own both a Series X and PlayStation 5 because then, no game that gets released on either or both consoles is off limits.

Be me . Owns both consoles . Tried FFXV as his first JRPG experience . Game was dogshit garbage . Never played JRPGs again . Dont need to care about any exclusivity :phil_lmao:

Even before Game Pass SE didn’t bother to port games to Xbox. Fault are on both sides. SE don’t care to raise a fanbase on Xbox and Xbox for releasing the Xbox One almost 1 year later in Japan. From 2013-2017 we had, at most, 5 new JRPGs on Xbox.

And not everyone has the money or want to own two consoles. SE are a billion dollar company, not some indie developer. You should expect their games on every major platform.

1 Like

Moreover this is becoming old after seeing ID@Xbox exploding in Japan, with more indies than ever before on the platform, even more than 360 gen, which was heavier on publisher deals. SE is simply the usual risk averse / greedy company which wants some “juice”.

Also the “I’ll wait for GP” on other platforms is “I’ll wait for a sale”, it’s not like people buy games only on day one, lol.

Ultimately, it’s all bs regarding FF14, big games sell well everywhere including Xbox, there is clearly some smoke here.

1 Like

According to Windows Central, talks are proceeding reasonably well, but nothing concrete to announce.

A discussion for a 11 year old game. They didn’t have the interest or the “resource” to release FF14 in this time frame.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t buy this shit for the 24th time since a very long time ago, there are 2-3 yearly “why FF14 is not on Xbox” interviews, it’s become a joke, lol.

3 Likes

I believe Sony has some contract in place, and they keep renovating it.

The way he said it seemed that he had no problem with it and it being on PC it wouldn’t be such a jump to port it to Xbox.

My take is that Sony is holding it hostage, like almost everything on Square’s side.

1 Like

It’s highly likely there is some Sony interference.

2 Likes

I was shot down very quickly when I said this yesterday . :phil_lmao:

I think it’s Microsoft with their stone age patch control process and Gold for paid games.

Not by me. XD

I find cheap believing it’s only because of Xbox policies like they want us to believe.