Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

Xbox Series P

I wonder what the new rumored Xbox hardware is…

Xbox SP! I believe any Xbox hardware that will rely on streaming should have some level of ML and have something like Auto-HDR which is trained on the native image and is applied to the streamed output image based on a certain bitrate, cleaning up any macro-blocking/blurriness that comes from streaming. Being able to de-noise game streams would give Xbox one of the cleanest images in streaming without having to increase bitrate too much.

Possibly just the White edition Elite Series V2 controller…

Maybe he is referring to that OS leak?

1 Like

What OS leak? What new hardware rumour?

Battery size won’t improve anywhere near as fast for that to be possible in the near future. We would need to rely on shrinking nodes + arch improvements (as in a whole redesign instead of just shrink SS soc) to get there

1 Like

Perhaps the streaming stick (with it’s own profile so the game can make checks like ok, this is running from Xcloud but still on a TV, so how do we adapt to that?)

I wonder if there could be a powerful enough battery pack that could run the Series S for 3-4 hours, while attached to an Xscreen? Not the portable we want but a temporary measure until something can be figure out.

Ya there is! But we’d be walking around like we’re Ghostbusters.

2 Likes

Seems like the steam deck is usually 33% of a Series S. With 5nm, you can get to 50% in a 20W device.

2 Likes

Steam deck has shown a lot off potential It is also quite evident at this point that a handheld requires all the tricks it can get to make the best of the hardware

Super resolution, custom screen refresh rate and customisation on developer end is needed

I have tried Forza horizon 5 on my 120 Hz monitor throgh my laptop (GTX 1650) at 40hz refresh rate window… The thing is more smooth then my XSX at 30 fps and I also get constant 40 at series S level graphics at around 1200p

The custom refresh rate option is god send for handhelds

Pretty interesting to see the Steamdeck is about 20-30% less powerful than the Series S at 720p. Wonder how an iPhone would compare.

On another note, the Steamdeck really undercuts PC for price so it again shows how incredibly amazing value the Series S is.

And finally - to get a potable Next Gen console would be challenging because of the thermal solutions alone that would need to be involved, unless they try to bargain with TSMC or Apple Silicone for an APU that’s amazing for performance/power.

That’s why I think a more realistic goal would be a portable than can play last gen games at peak fps and drs. There are a ton of Xbox One games that has perf and iq issues that be a much better experience if cleaned up. I.e Warzone, which runs at 800x900p base res ~45 fps. This device should be able to do 1600x900 locked 60.

Also the portable should have feature parity with the S consoles and be powerful enough to handle a port of the UE5 city demo, perhaps at temporally upsampled to 720p. It should do something like HI campaign with the IQ of the Series S 120hz mode, but at 60fps.

But Steam Deck is like 2 times more expensive that Series S and that’s while Valve is claiming that they are selling at loss.

That’s right… But it is not a console product and it is also completely stand alone product. It is also a PC as well

Can’t run series S without a TV

So I was looking into this a bit. Apples M1(last gen) silicone has around 70-80% better performance(than Steamdeck) per the same power draw. Steamdeck also offers around 1.6TF, whilst M1 offers 2.6TF. The M2 is 3.6Tflops.

So if Xbox do a deal with Apple for a custom last gen M1 chip, it would easily push Series S specs at a minimum whilst handheld and last longer than Steamdeck too.

This also goes to show another point - Mobile gaming has literally caught up to “next gen” gaming already. Just need the games. Apex Legends Mobile can use PC settings which is crazy! League Of Legends at 120fps is also ridiculous. The next few years are going to be interesting.

You can stop here :joy:

3 Likes

Haha yes, one can dream. :joy: However we slice the pie, Apple is by far the best for Performance/power silicone for the last 2-3 years. Samsung, which would be Xbox preference I’d imagine is quite a bit behind, TSMC are getting there and Intel are too focused elsewhere. AMD shouldn’t even be mentioned for handheld.

It remans to be see what gaming performance is there. Especially with their custom Metal API and so on. There are Microsoft in-house ARM devices but it requires nice emulators to run Xbox OS and so on. And I think Microsoft is also making their custom ARM chips.

Apple, Nvidia, Microsoft…All will eventually have their custom ARM chips.

1 Like