Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

Arm based console? Even worse then steam deck

2 Likes

I’ve seen Apex on Steamdeck and I’ve played it on an iPhone. The iPhone wipes the floor with Steamdeck for resolution, graphics settings and frame rates. It isn’t a wait and see kind of deal, it’s here and now. You are right about the Xbox OS though, and I know this won’t happen but it’s just an interesting what if.

Really?

That’s using the dreadful S21 with its poor 888 chip. The 888 is in comparison 3 gens older than A15, let alone the M1/2.

Did they bump up the settings a lot? Kinda lame theyd use that in a recent comparison

These are my personal settings on my A15(2 gens older than M2, 3 gens better than 888). I could fiddle with the settings more but like 90fps more than 60 and don’t care about 120 so much. :man_shrugging:

B804974-D-D5-DA-455-C-B483-47-BFAFA838-CC

The graphics quality is near equal to my Series X and I’m not exaggerating/joking. I’ll say again - in an ideal world Xbox would get Apple Silicone for portable, second best would be TSMC followed long after by Samsung, Intel and AMD.

1 Like

So far as I’m aware, TSMC doesn’t design its own chips. It does however manufacture both Apple and AMD’s chips for them per their designs. It’s also possible for Apple to do a bit more efficiency stuff since it controls everything that’s on the system (and can specify to partners exactly what they’ll achieve because of the volume) instead of having to deal with things that aren’t as custom purpose like most other things. It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better designers, just that they have more control over everything in their hardware because they are pumping out high volumes of a low number of options and other companies may make more but have much more variety. To an extent you could argue that this is also the strength that console makers have, except that they also have much more cost constraints than Apple does on its devices.

1 Like

Also it would make sense that Microsoft would be able to do this sort of level of control with their Surface devices, but they aren’t manufactured at anywhere near the volume of Apple products and can’t dictate as much to suppliers for components they’re not designing as Apple can.

Ahh yes, very good reply! I didn’t take into account the cost constraints. Fair point - maybe a year or two could be a better time for a portable to be at a compelling price point to equalise Series S. :clap:

1 Like

Well, Intel did hire folks that worked on the M1 design, so it’ll be interesting to see what they do

1 Like

Before we had only Intel vs AMD. And AMD vs Nvidia in GPU (after 2000s).

With ARM we will have a lot of custom chipsets. And even Intel went into high level GPU market.

1 Like

It’s the only thing I care about now (Performance to Power Ratio) tbh. It’s also why I’m such a fan of Series S in general(even-though I have an SX) and looking forward to Smart App for Cloud gaming.

I just care about the price of electric(even-though I can afford it) and the future environment a lot the last few years. Guess I’m getting old and the whole Penguin overclocking to 5GHz and MOAR cores era has bored me. :man_shrugging: So companies that priorities efficiency excite me.

1 Like

I think there’s also another factor with costs, because Apple doesn’t have to rely much on traditional retail to sell most of its products, so it is able to design a higher manufacturing cost device at the same retail price point than others could do and still actually earn more from it. This might not be as true for the steamdeck since I think it was only available directly (but in that case, volume still very much is a factor). But for example, (numbers mostly made up but feel like they’re still somewhat useful) Apple can most likely make a 1000 phone that costs them say 800 to build. Samsung would have to most likely get the cost of a 1000 phone to around 500-600 at most because they have to be able to sell it to retailers and allow for them to mark it up. Apple is seen as premium, and retailers want to be able to sell them, and have to accept a lower profit margin for the privilege of selling these sought after devices.

I’m absolutely all about efficiency as well. I’ve been very interested in AMD compared to Nvidia or Intel lately because it seems like they’re really going for performance but looking at power consumption.

It’s one of those awkward things I hate to see. I was an early adopter of Android and used it most of my life but Samsung have been very, very far behind on their hardware and sadly I don’t think they are going to be able to catch up at this point. My 3 year old iPhone that’s pretty worthless to me now I gave to my son gets equal Benchmarks to the brand spanking new Samsung chip(Snapdragon 8Gen1)

More likely for Google to eventually catch up(hardware wise). Will be an interesting next few years.

1 Like

I loved the old Windows Phones because they somehow (unlike regular Windows at the time) managed to really optimize performance with what on an Android would have seemed like lower specs. Also absolutely loved the ui and xbox achievements (RIP). I can’t make myself go with an iPhone though because I can’t stand the company…

1 Like

Goddamn it. If Xbox HW team had the vision of Valve we would have gotten a reveal for the Xbox Series A(nywhere) today.

Now we have to probably wait 3+ more years.

1 Like

Don’t forget tomorrow supposedly had more reveals

Why? What happened?

Xbox, like the rest of MS, is analytics driven. The numbers for a portable device releasing in ~2023 wouldn’t have looked compelling enough in 2020.

But the enthusiasm around Steamdeck and Phil have hands on experience with one should change that. But we miss the window where a sub series s portable made sense. So now it’s 2025 or later for a portable.

1 Like