Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

That only shows some sort of strange issue, literally nobody (in the gran scheme of things) play on Linux.

i know im just joking how stadia gets games but not xbox.

That’s fully on MS, when non existant gaming platforms like Stadia or Luna or general Linux get games and Xbox doesn’t.

Google probably overpaid a lot for those, but yeah, still, these games gotta come to Xbox hopefully within the next year or two.

1 Like

that’s a great name

1 Like

Paying devs to put their games on your platform isn’t a sign of a strong platform.

Neither when they skip the platform randomly and/or as status quo.

The rumors have been that Google has paid 7 figures to devs/pubs for them to port a game to their platform. If a studio has one of those contracts, then they will continue to spend low amount of time and effort to get that large payout. Its an easy 6x - 10x guaranteed return on investment.

What’s more difficult to find out is what is the guaranteed payout and what companies have them.

I don’t know if it will ever happen, but if there is ever a Series S level handheld…I will buy it immediately.

15 watt for steam Deck is actually SoC only

Ram, wifi, bluetooth, screen and other stuff need more.

I know it is just the GPU part… I wrote that myself.

What’s your point?

Looks like 20W Steam Deck vs 82.5W Series S.

So we’d need it to reduce to 1/4th of the power consumption.

I would say a battery technology improvment is more important then reducing the power consumption alone

1/2 from reducing power consumption and 1/2 increment in power density of battery is what required for the true Xbox Portable

We may have (just a guess) 3/4 the power with 5 nm shrink by this year if xbox really want this

Reducing power for a handheld is important because of the battery life.

Even steam Deck like Aya Neo could go upto 30+watt with a fan attached to it, if need be but the battery life would suffer big time

What I am most excited about from this information is the 1.565 GHz frequency is actually chosen from the ‘power efficiency’ point of view rather then ‘better yields’ point of view

It’s pretty obvious from Series X and PS5 comparison. Series X is wider but slower… PS5 is narrower but faster. I,e there is balance between these two consoles.

But on the other hand, Series S is even narrower then PS5 and even slower then Series X. It could have gone upto atleast series X clocks at the least with no impact on Yeilds. But xbox kept it at the 1.565 GHz regardless which actually is the sweet spot of the Power to Performance gain for RDNA2.

This can’t be a coincidence

1 Like

Isn’t lower power consumption also a good way to decrease cooling costs and allow for a smaller console size (also a decrease in cost)? I don’t know if id read too much into it.

It sure will… But what’s the point? The console is attached to the wall… Power is not an issue.

It’s very silent, a few more rpms of the fan wouldn’t have made it louder.

It’s a budget console, why even limit performance of such console just to make a silent one. series s is not made with ‘premium console’ feeling in mind. Specially since its meant for living room. People sit far away from consoles most of the time.

Point is, the 1.565 GHz value is chosen at the expanse of what? I don’t think cooling solution is expansive in this day. It’s actually the semiconductor which is expansive.

Why give premium treatment to a cheap console?

I don’t consider any of that premium, lower power consumption allows you to go cheaper on all of the supporting parts. And yeah, cooling solutions are not exactly expensive, though it is an area that Sony has made a priority with newer PS5 builds.

A couple dollars here and there is a lot of money when you’re talking tens of millions of consoles.

Steam Deck benchmarks tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how feasible a portable 1.5-2x stronger than XB1 is on 6nm.

1 Like

So excited :smile:

Some Steam deck benchmarks that are interesting, a few things make me think more and more that a streaming only portable is a smart idea.

1 Like