Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

@No-1HoloLens-Fan This is great information. Thanks for running through the numbers. I envisioned this handheld idea after seeing how small and powerful the Series S was and hoping the accelerating tech to allow a handheld with that power. The Xbox Series M(Mobile) would only work for native play if it had SS hardware so that the dev and compatibility wouldn’t be affected. @Daniel I also agree the could come out with an xCloud version as well, cheaper and lighter and smaller. Same marketing as S and X consoles but for handheld.

1 Like

Pointless with Xcloud growing. The Xbox portable is already your phone or tablet.

My guess is that they’d have a crack at splitting the Series S motherboard in a similar fashion to the Series X

4 Likes

exactly :point_up_2:

1 Like

A mix of the Microsoft Courier with Nintendo Switch could be pretty cool and a fun system.

Well, we know an Xbox Series S consumes 75ish watts during game play, that is without a screen. What power compution is required to make a portable feasible?

It looks like the Switch started at like 12 watts… Steam Deck appears to be 15 watts. We appear to be a long way from the portable you want.

1 Like

Ok but this is just the GPU part. No CPU, SSD, or the other integral hardware parts of the Series S. I don’t think current technology and state of things and, well, AMD, allows for making Series S portable, maybe in 3-4 years, maybe.

2 Likes

Probably not anywhere close to feasible until 3nm

yeah, this is several node shrinks (and they are slowing down too) away from reality.

Pog of War verified on Steam Deck.

Halo Infinite next.

Is the process made on the developer’s end or Steam’s end?

I think it’s on Valve, Steam Deck runs on a compatibility layer which uses a version of Linux. Nobody would port AAA games on Linux nowadays.

The verification is done by Valve.

Games don’t need this verification to run on it, but it’s just a tag that will tell gamers that hey, we think this works decent enough on our hardware that you can reliably play it, we promise you.

1 Like

id Software would like to have a word

Doom Eternal was not ported to Linux, I guess the new MS ownership…

Ok I was always under the impression that id made Linux ports, am I confusing them with another studio?

No, you are not, they have an history of supporting Linux, the best among big studios.

When did they stop / why?

I think the last was Doom 3, then I guess Bethesda deemed the efforts of a Linux port futile.

With Proton becoming better and soon even supporting anticheat features, I don’t think porting to Linux is needed anymore.

By the way, all the Stadia ports are Linux based. So yes, any game that’s come or is coming to Stadia has been on some level ported to a Linux fork that underpins Stadia. At least AFAIK

The Nihon Falcom games have been ported to Linux but not Xbox. lol