Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

xbox management would be incompetent if they are not doing r&d on a handhelp. We know they are not. The real question is, will it or when will it gets out of r&d?

1 Like

Jez tweets vs. Jez articles

2 Likes

Are you sure they’re not incompetent though?

Sarah Bond is the president of Xbox at Microsoft overseeing the entire brand’s operations as a platform and ecosystem, including hardware and devices, player and creator experiences, platform engineering, strategy, business planning, data and analytics, and business development and partnerships.

It’s up to her now, what the future of Xbox hardware looks like. :man_shrugging:t5:

Oh please… :roll_eyes:

As I mentioned earlier I posted a thread similar to this but in regard to specifically a streaming device:

I forgot about making that thread but I now realize that the PlayStation Portal is exactly that without 5G support. And far pricier.

That said, it makes me wonder if Xbox would consider anything like my proposal if The PlayStation Portal actually sells decently well. But at the end of the day it’s incomparable if it doesn’t have 5G. The whole point of my suggestion was that you could play it anywhere with a 5G network and cloud streaming.

The thing about the PP is that it doesn’t grow the user base for PlayStation whereas something with 5G allowing you to subscribe to a service would actually grow PlayStation or Xbox. Being able to play anywhere is critical in growing the business. Being tied to a console doesn’t sell more consoles.

Jez Tweets → Complete bullshit used to fabricate engagement

Jez Articles → Clickbait/Ragebait headline followed by an article that says virtually nothing

2 Likes

PS portal is selling well for an accessory. It’ll be never do Steam Deck numbers, nor will any streaming only device for that matter.

1 Like

Sony’s Q2 2024 Earning report. Games and Services made Revenue $6.6 B USD, but Net Income was only $0.35 B USD. That’s an abysmal profit margin. Something in Playstation’s strategy has to change, maybe it’s the handheld, or they can’t really afford to take that gamble and settled on the streaming PS Portal. image

1 Like

Bro at $149 it’s going to sell like HOTCAKES

Really? Everywhere it’s tracking below every console at launch. It’s selling HOTCAKES for an accessory.

The Backbone grip controller, not including the similar products, has probably sold 10X the PS Portal. Because everyone has a smart phone or an old smart phone, which also has better specs, including 5G.

Xbox and PS would have to make a bespoke handheld gaming product to be relevant in that market.

That’s also why MS is fighting so hard for an Xbox app store on iOS and Android. It would have an incredible profit margin and new gamer access point.

1 Like

The price, performance, sku and any other strategy won’t matter anyways if we can’t let go current console market strategy.

Xbox has already moved away from console exclusive strategy years ago by releasing there games day and date on PC.

Xbox console at this point only has two reason to buy. First is game library for an existing gamer. Second, that it is a subsidised hardware which is easy to buy and maintain.

To make there hardware enticing, they should make better hardware choices. Maybe sell a handheld like a controller at a premium. Not everything needs to be subsidized and perfect.

They can make a handheld just for BC if they want to.

They can make a handheld beast if the want.

They can just make a slightly improved series S handheld.

They can make a handheld which targets cross gen period.

Why be bound by the traditional console market. Make what your audience wants. And price it at a premium if you want too.

People know they can’t afford expensive things but they still buy them anyways.

Dont take it as sign of leaving traditional console choice. But more options won’t hurt anyone.

1 Like

Increasing the price of a portable isn’t necessarily going to solve the issue. It’s not like there is some battery tech out there that just costs more but will allow substantial improvement. It’s a balancing game of processing power, battery life , and form factor. Money can’t buy you out of it.

I just have one thing clear about anything related to a possible Xbox hand-held. This hand-held MUST NOT BE a Cloud device.

If Xbox wants an audience outside US, they should stop focusing only on Cloud. The Internet is still not good enough for the Cloud to work as intended in all parts of the US, imagine the rest of the world.

2 Likes

BTW there is no Xbox portable out. This was all a hypothetical. It’s not real.

Just looking at all the consoles that Xbox, Sony, and Nintendo has ever made, the worst selling one has been the Wii U at 14 million LTD.

It would be quite the feat to release a dedicated gaming device that will sell worse than half the Wii U LTD.

https://x.com/JezCorden/status/1753393435753501077?s=20

1 Like

https://x.com/jezcorden/status/1753473580686290950?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

1 Like