Sony PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan stepping down In March 2024

5 Likes

In all seriousness I do have quite a few Apple products and I quite like them. I just don’t understand the idea of Apple buying Sony, and actually doing anything with PlayStation as anything but a bit of corporate fanfiction.

I love my iPad. I love my iPhone. But there’s nothing in Apple’s DNA that has anything but a begrudging acceptance of mobile gaming let alone AAA gaming. And they don’t do budget friendly.

And all a games console really is… is a budget friendly way to play AAA titles.

It’s like someone is out there saying “I like MacBooks and PlayStation, and hate Windows like it’s the early 2000’s still so this obviously makes sense.”

2 Likes

Is sudden retirements common in the industry from such big posts without actually having a hire for the same?

Also, he stops being actual CEO from today (1 Oct) apperently.

May be he has been given a choice of retirement in peace :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh, that is interesting.

Yeah, that is way too fast, sudden and unorganized to be a planned thing.

2 Likes

Don’t think so. Even if he misses his family, he could have taken another position in the UK. TBH he’s about to be bombarded by angry Playstation fan tweets for the next few years. I’d walk too.

1 Like

I honestly think he f*cked up bad and we will see the result of it in their lineup over the next few years.

9 Likes

Yeah, that seems more and more likely.

Fairgame$… lmao.

2 Likes

:thinking: I can only see this happening if like the Sony single player experience games are like 3 years away and they have no exclusives to cover for it. I suppose that could be a possibility.

1 Like

My Issue is “what lineup?” We know next to nothing about Sony’s actually timeline for games for the future. Why isn’t the media calling this out?

3 Likes

Well, when you have all the studios working on GaaS I’m parallel with their normal single player stuff, it slows down the entire operation. Especially when they are new to GaaS games.

I think the content in their shows is evidence of that. I think we often look for reasons (trying to look weak for ABK for instance) for why they might be holding back when the likely scenario is they don’t have an option. Similarly for Xbox in 2022.

2 Likes

Because Sony’s earned their trust through delivering repeatedly over many years. If something doesn’t seem right, there MUST be a good reason for it.

They’ll be asking if the showcase next summer is like this past one lol.

1 Like

Sony went almost 2 years without a showcase then when they have one it’s all CG of GAAS with no dates and then none of their new SP games have names or dates or anything shown.

It’s time to question this bullshit, Sony have been given enough leeway already.

10 Likes

It’s also the risk of some of these parallel GaaS games to be epic failures, tarnishing the studios name. Not something they are used to, and neither is the Cult.

Probably why something like Factions was delayed/rebooted/whatever, can’t risk Naughty Dog’s muh-prestige-smell-your-own-farts reputation.

4 Likes

Sony have a first party problem money can’t fix. I would get used to the droughts.

2 Likes

Yea and oddly MS have the biggest first party and we know of dozens of games in development with names/potential dates/real gameplay and still the media treats Xbox like the usual “xbox has no games” and Sony is just bustin with them.

I wish people and the media could catch up on reality instead of relying on old themes and idea’s of the game industry.

Sony’s 1st party is barren and unknown for the future and Xbox has the largest 1st party and easily the most real known 1st party games in development, this reality needs to be reported more.

3 Likes

They are very good at moneyhatting third party games though. Something which is only ok if PlayStation does it strangely enough.

8 Likes

I think it’s because we’re still waiting on many of those MS games. The stigma of “they will be delayed indefinitely/cancelled like Scalebound” is easy to throw out when, like Phil said, “The games aren’t on your Xbox with your controller in your hand.”

Redfall also makes an easy target to say “Those games can’t be trusted because they will have Redfall quality.”

These are not my views on MS’s upcoming games btw :sweat_smile:! This is just why I think there is still a “bias” on them.

1 Like

Yea, and people wondered why MS needed to buy so much, mainly to prevent Sony from moneyhatting the games off of Xbox

7 Likes

No arguments here. Its moving goalposts again and I don’t really have the patience for it.

3 Likes

More like “lack of the lineup” …

1 Like