Sony buying Bungie for $3.6 billion, Destiny 2 and future projects will remain multiplatform

This is a thread about Bungie joining Sony, not a discourse on Jason Schreier. If you want to do take it to DMs and do NOT make a thread.

3 Likes

The major thing that makes this a big deal for Playstation is that it proves that Sony are capable of making Billion dollar acquisitions. Before people were saying Playstation couldnt make an acqusition anywhere near the same level as Bethesda, after all Sony as a company made less annually than MS spent on Bethesda. But spending this amount of money on one studio goes to show that Sony has got the money for these big acqusitions

Makes me wonder how deep the Sony pockets are or if this really is gonna break the bank for Sony.

Of course the big question still remains, of all the studios sony could have used this big bucks for, why would they spend such a large amount for Bungie?

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget about arms race and organic growth. It doesnā€™t matter anymore now.

1 Like

Overpriced but itā€™s a good get for Sony, helps them in their biggest weakness with one purchase.

Live service IP/FPS with fantastic player retention.

Good move.

5 Likes

Nah, this is their biggest acquisition ever and itā€™s less than half of Zenimax.

5 Likes

Am I supposed to be freaking out right now? Note I donā€™t care for Destiny

Smart buy from Sony by filling a role they have nearly nothing in(fps/coop/mp) from their first party. The price though is crazy but that might be effected by the crazy amount of acquisitions that have been happening in the last few years. Still makes the zenimax acquisition even smarter and at a much better price.

6 Likes

Nope, itā€™s just video games and if you donā€™t care for their games it changes nothing for you personally.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know WHY ppl thought Sony was brokeā€¦ Them not having Microsoft money doesnā€™t mean they broke.

Yeah, because Playstation are getting exclusive achievements/trophies. /s

3 Likes

If they were going exclusive, they wouldnā€™t have said anything like they did with their past acquisitions. It would be a given. The fact both Sony and Bungie are putting multiplatform and independent front a center with this deal tells me it was a part of the agreement. Bungie is probably functioning more like Sony Online Entertainment than a traditional first party studio.

6 Likes

I think Call of Duty has a much higher chance of staying multiplat now

1 Like

Donā€™t see the correlation

9 Likes

I will be shocked if they ever spend much more than this

Destiny is nowhere near COD, it would be a bad trade on MS end.

4 Likes

Yep, not a peep on Yahoo Finance about this Organic Growth-I mean, deal.

Sony shareholders are really excited about this news:

While true, I do feel that this is a risky move than a guaranteed win. With Activision, Microsoft knows they will get their money back and much, much more. With this one, itā€™s up in the air with the next game to make a grand splash. Think as Minecraft before it took off to the Pluto. Only time will tell if this is good.

Still consolidatory, even if not monopolistic. Either way, Iā€™m not getting into this now.

Well Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m just spit balling, Bungie seems like theyā€™ll stay multiplat and MS might want to be nice/make COD Minecraft. Who knows tbh.

1 Like

Overpriced, but this but confirms my suspicious of SONY ā€œopeningā€ Playstation in the future, even Jimbo himself said it. Also, fantastic news!! The more movements sony does, the more likely the ActiBlizz deal will go through without a problem :smiley: