Sony believes Xbox owning Call of Duty could impact consumers console choice UPDATE: Microsoft Responds

In this case it’s 1st party. They are not taking away a 3rd party game, it’s a game that exists because Sony made it. I just find it unfair to equate it to 3rd party money hats.

They make a ton of money already by opening up their licnecnes to whoever is willing to pay and make something out of it. If David Cage can get to make Disney license, anyone can, exclusivity doesn’t seem like something they’re bothered by :person_shrugging:

1 Like

The thing is they are not tying up a 3rd studio but are still essentially taking away a 3rd party IP.

It’s better than the FF scenario as they are actually doing the work themselves, however at the end of the day it’s still moneyhatting an IP from other platforms (IMO), they even went as far as paying to stop Spider-Man appearing in Avengers too (another 3rd party game).

Anyway it’s just my opinion, our thoughts on the matter can differ and that’s ok :+1:

David Cage does have some pedigree behind him though with Heavy Rain and Detroit, it’s not like he’s just any ‘Joe Blogs’.

He’s a hack who benefited from other brilliant people’s work, also with toxicity and abuse allegations. Hollywood’s favorite pedigree.

1 Like

I believe someone else can also make games on those same IPs, it’s just gonna be useless when Insomniac have perfected it already and had incredible sucess.

I’m not saying he’s a good person, but his company still has the recognition for those games.

I think Yves Guillemot is a twat for destroying Ubisoft and burying sexual misconduct cases but I still play Ubisoft games.

I think Elon Musk is the devil but I still use one of his former products (PayPal) and like the look of a Tesla.

With other examples like Bobby Kotick the list goes on (I doubt Disney cared about Kotick when ABK made Disney games too).

David Cage is a “creative” lead - writer - on his games, which he is unequivocally horrible at. His games wouldn’t be looked at without the incredible movie quality presentation and mocap technology his studio has and the actor/performances, music, etc. The writing in all his games is awful, and he’s responsible for that.

1 Like

I can’t see any studio making a rival game based on the same 3rd party IP at the same time. You would be trying to appeal to the same audience which narrows your market.

No doubt Sony have put something in the contract to ensure this can’t happen anyway, like first refusal (e.g. the Avengers example).

The only exceptions I can think of are games where there are rosters of characters in a single game.

Exactly.

Maybe in the case of Spider-Man they would leverage their movie rights in some way like that to make things easier … but not to the extent of controlling Disney’s IP rights outside of movies. I don’t know though.

O…k

But did Quantic Dream make Detroit and Heavy Rain? Which overall were received quite well critically?

Unless I’m mistaken Disney issued the Star Wars license to Quantic Dream not David Cage directly.

Does he deserve to be involved in it? No.

Does de Fondaumière and the other management deserve to be involved in it? No.

Does the rest of the 200+ developers deserve to be punished because of their actions? No.

I’m not talking about punishing anyone. Their Star Wars pitch to Disney involved STORY which David Cage always has a lead on at Quanitc Dream. I’m just saying if Disney can accept David Cage level storytelling and writing then ANYONE can get a license out of them lol

2 Likes

Quick, someone tell Sony that:

• Paying developers for timed exclusivity and permanent exclusivity of third party titles can impact a consumers console choice

• Extending exclusivity behind the scenes so certain games delay their release on a competitors console (if at all) can impact a consumers console choice

• Having exclusive games for a superhero that is arguably the worlds most popular superhero that has existed since 1962 and has been on practically every mainstream console can impact a consumers console choice

• Paying for permanent exclusitivity for the biggest IPs in entire genres (Final Fantasy, Street Fighter) and thus equating said genres with your platform while disparaging the userbase elsewhere can impact a consumers console choice

• Actively targeting IPs and developers associated with your main rival and paying them to exclusively release games on your platform while screaming about this from the rooftops can impact a consumers console choice

• Marketing deals, which Sony has more than anyone else, and also using said deals to keep games of your rivals subscription service for a disclosed period of time, can impact a consumers console choice

• Making a video shown at your conference, seen by dozens of millions of people and done by your two biggest PlayStation execs, mocking your rival and showing how you’re better CAN IMPACT A CONSUMERS CONSOLE CHOICE

I can go on and on, lol. Sony are coming off extremely weak here and they legitimately look shook. They’re praising Game Pass, disparaging their own studios/talent, coming off as massive hypocrites and praising a singular IP with accolades that will forever be meme-worthy all in one fell swoop. Bad time to be a PlayStation stan on social media these days.

27 Likes

Let me be transparent that I have had a rough day and at this point I am inebriated enough for a reduction in inhibitions, but I am loving where your brain is at.

:wink:

1 Like

Was the norm a few generations ago. Though doesn’t make a ton of sense with today’s development costs.

Todd howard laughed at Sony for trying to get Starfield exclusive. He has way too close ties to Phil Spensor to do that

As long as those are timed and come to Xbox(not a FF situation) I couldn’t give a shit but we know Sony will do this. Shame on the companies for bending over I guess. WE know one of those games is probably the new Bioshock.

3 Likes

Can’t believe sony is still trying to fight a console war. Lifetime sales of gaming consoles doesn’t even come close to matching the yearly sales of biggest gaming hardware, the iphone. Maybe try to expand your gaming business like Microsoft?

7 Likes

Nicely done breakdown :sunglasses:.

2 Likes

Destin spitting facts just like practically everyone else right now.

10 Likes

Im sure they thought about it. Probably why they went to Microsoft for cloud. Probably why they’re bringing all their games to Microsoft Windows PC.

Of course who benefits out of those arrangements?

:clap:

1 Like

I am looking forward to hearing King’s comments on this lol

6 Likes