Sony believes Xbox owning Call of Duty could impact consumers console choice UPDATE: Microsoft Responds

I believe it’s called youth. I have no proof, but I feel confident most people who are making the arguments you’re describing weren’t alive when Sony entered the market. Or at the very least weren’t old enough to realize what was going on.

Why won’t they listen and learn when people who were there tell them about it? I believe it’s called youth.

2 Likes

Oh, sweet summer child.

Many of these people are in their late 20’s, 30’s and even early 40’s. Lots of prominent Twitter shills have their age in their bio or have been known for a very long time, and they disseminate this FUD to their large fanbase(s).

I do agree that young people mostly don’t know any better and many might be too tribal to care about learning the history of their favorite plastic box, though.

I also admit I might be too cynical after the stuff I’ve seen, lol.

4 Likes

Some of them are even older yet. In the one situation maybe they burned out during crunch time when working on their video games. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Late twenties tracks with what I said, but not 30 and 40 year olds. That’s pretty pathetic.

2 Likes

The worst I’ve seen are >35 years old (both IRL and forums), I’ve encountered some crazies in the local store where I buy most of my games over the years (Greece is very much a Playstation land)…it’s pathetic but it’s the truth. And you know what the most crazy thing is? I know more about the Playstation software libraries than those buffoons, I am pretty sure they haven’t even played half the games that I played from PS. :phil_lmao:

3 Likes

Some arguments against that notion:

Is it slightly hyperbolic? Call of Duty is one of the world’s biggest game franchises, but it doesn’t stand alone. Games like FIFA and Fortnite are just as big, if not bigger. And there are plenty of major games markets, including Japan, where it’s a relatively small player.

As for influencing console buyers, that’s potentially true. But as a counter, the biggest games console on the market right now is Nintendo Switch, and that machine has never had a Call of Duty game on it (which Xbox feels may be a missed opportunity).

A lot of the fear stems from the prospect of Microsoft, one day in the future, making the series exclusive to the Xbox platform (despite reassurances that it won’t).

Good reasons as to why COD will remain multuplat:

there is a shared truth that if Microsoft was to take Minecraft away from Nintendo and PlayStation, the biggest loser out of that would be Minecraft. Call of Duty has a massive fanbase on PlayStation. If Xbox was to prevent that audience from playing the game, some might abandon Sony, but others will simply abandon Call of Duty. And that would give competitors, like EA’s Battlefield series, a unique opportunity.

But even outside of the Minecraft precedent, Call of Duty remaining on PlayStation actually benefits Xbox. Microsoft isn’t as interested in the battle of the console boxes. It believes the future of games is going to be through streaming and subscriptions. Call of Duty isn’t so much a reason to buy an Xbox console, but a reason to subscribe to the Game Pass subscription service.

Sony’s real concerns:

And this is where PlayStation is right to be concerned. Because Call of Duty is the No.1 game on PS4 and PS5. Should this deal go through, Microsoft will own the most popular game on PlayStation. And what an opportunity that is. The marketing writes itself: ‘Fed up of spending $70 every year on this game? Want extra in-game items and points? Then subscribe to Game Pass instead. You can even stream it on mobile.’

Microsoft would be able to speak directly to PlayStation’s own fanbase on its own console, putting Sony in an impossible position of either rejecting its console’s most popular game, or accepting what could amount to a huge Game Pass ad disguised as a first-person shooter.

This part is the one that interested me te most. Its about what publishers and developers think about MS currently and their relationship with it:

It’s not just regulators asking tough questions, however, but the industry, too. Microsoft has been on a charm offensive for a while now, and is proactively trying to reassure the business that its intentions are good with all this investment. And it’s working. Most developers and publishers that I’ve spoken to have nothing but positive things to say about Microsoft and its gaming initiatives.

But there’s always a caveat. ‘Xbox is bossing it right now’, ‘Xbox has been an amazing partner so far’, ‘At the moment, it’s all about Xbox’… those are actual quotes from recent exchanges I’ve had with developers. They’re all saying how great Xbox is proving to be, while acknowledging that things change.

Then it ends asking if Satya and/or MS’s shareholders are to be believed in their initiative about helping the industry and blablabla (things I will worry if we start seeing changes, but right now there are none)

5 Likes

Just imagine the potential of COD on xCloud with Call of Duty Mobile like touch controls :fire:

Sony has every right to be concerned here

Mobile version seems to be really really cool with their crossovers also.

I am playing Artful escape via xCloud in India where it is not supported yet (using Japan VPN)

This experience of anytime game on your mobile phone with touch controls is so satisfying and free in nature

Once xCloud comes to India I will definately play more and more inde games like this… Maybe my daily fodder FH5 as well

2 Likes

Recently played some game in the train. Was really neat (though I would prefer a handheld device), but touch controls help too.

In America things feel pretty balanced. I don’t have a good frame of reference for Europe and I mostly get my impression of Europe from you guys here and the stories you tell.

Given that, I imagine the average European gamer is like the games media/ reset era weirdo’s. Biased, uninformed, and resistant to change.

1 Like

Not much diffferent from USA to be honest. It is just that Europe has been historically pretty much Playstation/Nintendo aligned (not sure about Sega era).

In USA it is just split or in favor of Xbox.

1 Like

Nope.

Guess it wont anymore. Battlefields free with gamepass as well. Whoops!

Same nonsense they tried to apply to keeping Elder Scrolls on Playstation. In all avenues Microsoft makes more money keeping games off playstation in totality. Thats why Xbox exists.

The age of a gamer probably changes perception too I suppose. As an American 80’s kid Atari and Nintendo were dominant. Then in the 90’s Sega and PlayStation took over. Then in the 2000’s it was Xbox’s time. And in the 2010’s Apple, Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox all pretty much caused a stale mate. Maybe this is just my perception though.

1 Like

Microsoft is attacking Sony’s talking points brilliantly :joy:

12 Likes

Quote from the forum

"MS also says that this complaint to services such as Game Pass also reveals Sony’s real concern: “The fear that an innovative business model that gives consumers access to high-quality content and lower up-front costs threatens its position as leadership in the gaming industry, with Microsoft moving away from a “device-centric” business strategy (in the sense that gamers must buy expensive PCs or consoles to have access to the best quality games) towards a more consumer-centric (“gamer-centric”).”

Breaking: MS says Sony is feared of CoD on Gamepass due to its own resistance

7 Likes

Damn… This thread has all the theories which we discuss here on daily basis. MS coming out in full force.

1 Like

And some people were saying that we are here on the forums are not knowledgeable :joy:

5 Likes

MS is completely right here, Sony is afraid of not being able to compete and rely on knee capping their competition instead of providing value to their own customers.

26 Likes

Its a symphony.