Sonic Frontiers releases on November 8, 2022

I’m hoping what they showed is only just a sandbox practice area.

Or maybe a Forge situation where users can create their own levels and share with others? I doubt its Forge, cause that is a MFT of work to support it. I also don’t know of any title other than Minecraft and Roblox which has had a successful community levels sharing center.

I’m hoping the full experience has something more, cause what was shown was lacking in its ability to draw me in or show it as an entertaining full-priced game.

2 Likes

Is this one of the "Super games " SEGA was making ?

I feel an awesome 3-d sonic is possible, sonic team just keeps refusing to learn the right lessons

I dont think this looks as bad as people are saying but I certainly understand the complaints, the level design is just weird and random and the lack of momentum physics with sonic is like Sonic gameplay 101 and they refuse to do anything with it

No lol, I think Creative Assembly’s FPS is one though.

Apart from my comment earlier you won’t find me bashing the game that much. I didn’t bash '06, Unleashed or Generations that much either, apart from early impressions. I own all but I haven’t finished any. And the main reason why I don’t dwell on bashing these games apart from my early impressions is because I’m at the stage where I feel like I need to make a better Sonic game or shut up.

SEGA has been extremely generous with the Sonic indie game scene where people can release games and demos as long as they don’t monetize it. So if I have all the answers (and I do, lol) then I just have to make it.

2 Likes

Idk, i would rather have a new cool 2D Sonic. Just copy Rayman Legends.

2 Likes

I’d literally rather binge FIFA 20(Probably the worst FIFA in history) for 12 hours than play this for 6 hours. What a shame for the Sonic franchise yet again. I’m going to guess a 69 meta critic.

This was very boring to watch.

I’m sure I said ‘people’ but to say if SF was released in 2023 it would mark 25 years of ‘poor’ Sonic games is a little unfair isn’t it ?. You really going to class Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations has poor games?

That’s why I made sure I worded it as “poor 3D Sonic game” and I try to always use that phrase because sometimes the games are pretty good but not necessarily “Sonic” games.

Unleashed/Colors/Generations are interesting with its pointedly linear tunnel gameplay and 2D segments. But you could have really put any character in there. It’s not “Sonic”. This may not be the best example because it still felt like “Mario” but Mario Sunshine could have had a different character and it would have worked just fine. Even then the reliance on a mechanic that isn’t inherently something Mario can do had some gamers put Sunshine lower on their 3D Mario tier lists. But it was a fantastic game. Personally for me there was enough “Mario” in it for me to call it a great Mario game.

The worst parts of the 3D Sonic games including the homing attacks and grinding aspects on full display in these games and they could be used for a different character or IP. With Sonic you expect a good platformer and you don’t get much platforming with these highly guided roller coaster experiences. The 2D portions have nowhere near the exploration that the Genesis games had and while I don’t think they are bad they simply don’t compare. (Colors executes on all this better and with more exploration but not that much better)

Also one reason why I wouldn’t call them bad games in general is because there are a lot of redeeming aspects separate from gameplay including the visuals and audio.

Long ago I wondered if I would rate these games differently if this was a completely different character and IP and I would say yes. If there was a beautiful Forza Horizon that was an on-rails experience, it could be a good experience and a good game but not a good (let alone great) Forza game.

For me a proper 3D Sonic game has you jumping on various platforms to make it across a gap. But in all of these Sonic games (even dating back to Adventure) you either use a homing attack on enemies lined in a row, grind a rail, hit a collection of springs that bounce you in every single direction until the last one which takes you to your destination, or ride a string of floating rings. The game doesn’t ask you to use your platforming skills to jump across multiple platforms like the 2D Sonic games did.

I’m not saying rail grinding isn’t a bad mechanic, but it’s not Sonic. Neither are homing attacks. Or ring-gliding or whenever we should call that. So they could be good games for people that like rail grinding and stuff but it doesn’t make for a good Sonic game.

And when I say different character I mean one that isn’t even one of Sonic’s friends because none of those abilities were part of their tool set. Make a new character like Ristar.

Well, we have a different interpretation of ‘Poor’ and I also feel it’s moving the goal posts to say what is or is not a Sonic game. To me, the 1st two Sonic games were about running fast and hitting enemies, hardly a different from Sonic Adv, Colors or Gen for me For both Sonic 1 and II, one would basically beat them in one sitting in a matter for hours, nothing compared to the deep Mario gameplay and it was all the better for it because it was different.

I don’t get the outcry on the new Sonic, Lush new environments and the ability to run around at will with what looks like decent controls in a 3D Sonic game. Just needs to be more action-packed and I’ll be happy.

The more I see of this game, the worse it looks. Even though open world fatigue is real with me, I still think an open world Sonic can work and turn out great. However the slow movement of the last video and the combat mechanics of this video is just not what I imagined this game would be. After all these years and countless mediocre games, Sonic Team still does not seem to understand less can often lead to more. I don’t need nor want Sonic to have fighting moves.

1 Like

They could have a really solid game with just a few tweaks:

• Focus on collection of Gems from mini-bosses or clearing areas
  • Focus on more platforming
  • Include a mechanical sidekick
  • Add in lore drops via collectible audio logs
  • Consider using the name Mack for the sidekick
  • Consider using the name Joule for the main character
2 Likes

Dear lord please let there be something positive

I like how this premieres at the exact same time as the Sonic Central, great coordination there.

Sonic Hands On Impressions from Summer Game Fest are out and they are positive

Gameplay looks fluid and the person playing this looks more skilled and now we are seeing more positive reactions in the gaming community. Sega needs to market this game better, they have been showing small slices of the game with no direction or context.

5 Likes

Must be a newer build because this looks way better. Apparently there are also like 12 sliders to customize speed, turning, acceleration, resistance, and more, which is interesting. I’m feeling pretty good now about this game, actually. Just really want to see the cyberspace levels, but I think there’s an embargo for that at the moment.

1 Like

Link to the source saying this?