So what's up with the Series X underperforming on launch?

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/11/observer-system-redux-is-simply-better-on-ps5-than-xbox-series-x/

Apparently seriesX has a 4k toggle and no ray tracing and ps5 has no 4k toggle but a RT toggle.

Both run the same modes just PS5 has RT - and seems to perform better. Its clear these devs didn’t get the up to date dev kit…and I guess partly why medium is pushed back.

1 Like

Yes seriesX clearly has some dev kit issues but we dont know the resolution if the PS5 version.

1 Like

Media and Fanboy driven narrative to try and paint the Series X as less powerful then the PS5. You’d figure the raw hardware specs would be enough for people to understand which one is more powerful but it seems that is not good enough.

It was naïve for anyone to think the Media and Sony fans would just roll over because the XSX is more powerful, they never hit the acceptance stage in this process and are still trying to create a narrative to push to bring XSX down.

That’s really all it is, devs tools and the entire world being under a global pandemic means nothing to them,

3 Likes

Every optimized game is running GDK except for Ori, Sea of Thieves and Modern Warfare. You can check it out by selecting the file info option.

1 Like

Yeah but it is performing worse than the PS5…no doubt about it. The Digital Foundry Assasins Creed video won’t be pretty because we already know they are very critical of the SX version for dropping frames and tearing. We also know that ACV never once hits native 4K on the X according to RB’s series S review from last night - the highest res DF found was 1720p.

So it is underperforming the PS5 - and that’s down to the dev kit tools and API being undercooked and rushed and last minute. But the fact is that were this reversed Xbox fans would be doing exactly the same thing.

Weird thing about all this is that even though its performance is certainly not yet where you’d ideally want it, its still brute forcing well and its only where you want 120FPS that you see the problem or I guess where there is ray tracing. ACV seems to be a bit weird but I guess again will be down to less developed tools on the Xbox side.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s solved rather sooner than later. At least they have been transparent about it. You just want your newly bought console if choice to be the best it can be.

1 Like

A few dropped frames and a resolution dropping slightly below is not the end of the world (although you don’t want that for the most powerful console) but when games start to miss features like raytracing it’s becoming more of a big deal. Sadly there is nothing we as customers can do about.

Personally I don’t intend to buy Observer soon, if ever. Since I played the original game on Xbox One already. But it definitely is a bummer for the buyers who wanted some of that nice raytracing.

1 Like

4 Likes

If Microsoft knew that their dev tools were insufficient for Nov 2020 launch of the Series X, they should have delayed release. This just makes them look bad.

1 Like

Delaying the console would have been worse. These issues will be fixed with time, I don’t think it will take long for us to start seeing a difference.

6 Likes

We have to understand that studios are developing for so many systems and it is during a pandemic, developers by and large just don’t have the time to give careful attention to the next gen consoles and it is a case of getting the game to an acceptable level and ship it.

The immaturity of the dev tools only compounds this, so it is not that surprising to see the Series X underperforming when compared to the PS5. Although the Series X is more capable on paper it is not on a totally different level, so immature dev tools and lack of time can definitely close the gap between the two consoles.

Finally we all remember the lack of Series X gameplay until a few weeks before launch? This is almost definitely due to the games not performing well, because of the dev tools, and it does seem Series S/X games are coming in hot.

4 Likes

Why? This is silly. Nobody would notice any differences while playing these games side by side. You need framerate counters to detect a whopping 4-5 frame difference on very rare occasions. 360 had similar issues btw, and it still very quickly became the dominant platform for multiplats after wave 2 (360-gen) titles showed up.

3 Likes

Halo: MCC optimized is running XDK aswell. I guess it really is easier to update XDK than to develop for GDK at the moment.

5 Likes

Hell no. I absolutely love my XSX and I’m glad they didn’t delay it. If I had to go back to Xbox One X now…well I’d rather not. The system is awesome.

3 Likes

This! I have both set up in different rooms. Playing on the One X feels like syrup.

6 Likes

Thank you! Between @OneBadMutha’s response, this, and what I’ve been trying to hit home the past week I’m not sure why there’s so much concern when we’ve been told several times that Game Core was running behind schedule because of COVID (the new tools didn’t even get a mention in the GDK release notes until June of this year). PS5 devs had a lot more time simply because of the fact that the system originally targeted last year, the SDK is an evolution of PS4’s (also missing several capabilities present in Game Core that supports both Series S and X), and much of that time was spent in a pre-COVID time period where dev time was comparatively faster (and communication/exchanges faster and easier as well).

I don’t want to start throwing around the concern troll accusations, so I’m just going to assume that there are simply quite a few folks who’ve never been through a new generation before, have forgotten how devs often take time to utilize new hardware and their subsequent feature sets, or some avoidance of accepting the previous paragraphs points as reality… to whatever ends.

2 Likes

Nobody would ever release a console if they waited till their tools were ready. The console is performing absolutely fine and people are enjoying it. And it’s so hard to get one because of the demand. Nobody cares that it’s a few frames under its potential. Nobody.

4 Likes

That’s certainly true. If it hadn’t been for DF and just the whole comparison thing nobody would have noticed. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate DF and their findings and always greatly enjoy their findings but often the differences are neglible, as was with One X with a few exceptions like RDR2.

Sure, the more powerful system should be on par or better but the reason it isn’t is very valid. I saw one person on Reddit say he would hate if Cyberpunk performed better on PS5, that it wasn’t what he paid for. I get it, but at the same time the difference will be very close.

But of course it would be great if soon XSX can be used to its full potential and that it shows it off, I can’t deny that.

Right now, we have no hard evidence of anything other than the SX performing worse than the PS5. That’s all the factual info we have. We can all hope that some magical SDK update or some game pathces come along and save the day, but right now, the world’s most powerful console is the PS5.