Skull and Bones | Official Gameplay Reveal

They worked almost 10 years on a full price pirate skin for World of Warships? Wow.

1 Like

Not every journey is a straight line.

1 Like

true, but the result here i find a bit underwhelming. Ubisoft usually finds a big audience for their multiplayer games like For Honor or The Crew, so what do i know.

1 Like

On the positive side, all future post release content will be free as the game is a live service multi-year game.

1 Like

True, but what they mentioned sounded like very co-op focused challenges and shit which does not interest me.

1 Like

Agreed. I wonder if down the line they add actual ship boarding so you can fight or being able to get off your ship at any time, perhaps go underwater for treasure, etc.

You would think that they have preliminary plans for this stuff because it’s almost a guarantee that those who play the game are going to request this stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope they come up with some fun stuff post-release.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about the whole ship boarding thing and I do kinda see it from their perspective. The moment you include ship boarding you need to include a whole combat system built for it, which means you need a whole system of progression because if your success in taking a ship is reliant on it as well as ship combat it needs to be equally as deep and engaging long term as the ship combat, and once you’ve reached this point the studio has realistically spent so much time on the sword combat you’d really need to start including land to explore and PVP sword combat and so on to justify it. By which point you’re basically making an Assassin’s Creed game again, which, I get is what people wanted but it doesn’t seem to be what they wanted to make. As a result I get why they’d decide to just focus on ships and make boarding just a cutscene once you’ve successfully disabled a ship in combat.

While I agree with your thought process, the only problem is that from a gamer standpoint, we’ve played Black Flag, Rogue, Origins and Odyssey and majority expected the same in Skull & Bones. There’s ship combat in those games, melee combat on ships and on land, underwater combat in Origins/Odyssey and more.

It just doesn’t make much sense to make a pirate game only to be stuck on the ship especially when they already have the mechanics from other games that they could use. They would have just needed to remove the ability to climb everything and the parkour system. But the melee combat aspects and ship combat aspects could have remained the same.

On one hand, I want to play the game but on the other hand, when I do, I will definitely be wondering and questioning why they didn’t just copy Black Flag as the template.

Also, resource gathering is menu based while on the ship as opposed to actually doing it manually like in the other AC games.

If Skull and Bones doesn’t hit for me, I will then replay Black Flag for the 4th time. Hehehe.

2 Likes

I really love the ship combat in AC Odyssey. But I never play AC black flag. I am looking forward in giving the game a try. Look pretty good. But wondering why they decided to release the game the day before God of War. I know its multi-platform but most PlayStation player will buy GoW before Skull and Bone and might forget about it after they are done or something else come out. But anyways I be getting the game and hope it really good.

To me none of that matters when the core game itself looks so boring/uninspired. It really does look like the Black Flag sailing components just got turned into a game without any additional game design thought behind it. If the core game isn’t fun, just piling on more of it for free won’t help me enjoy it more personally.

I love Black Flag. It’s still my favorite AC game. The ship combat is what made me interested in it along with the setting. I just don’t understand why Ubisoft wouldn’t just copy the setup from Black Flag and just eliminate the AC stuff. So many of their games have the same template yet the one that should have been copied is the one that wasn’t. SMH.

1 Like

They kinda did what you asked tho. It’s just that this game removed the AC game entirely and didn’t replace it with anything like a pirate themed rpg single player element. This just looks like you play a whole ship as your character almost. I’m quite surprised they went this route as it doesn’t seem interesting at all. Their UI design is just rly rly bad too. It’s stressful just watching the gameplay clips, lol.

I agree but I do like the ship combat. Looks real good to me since it’s very similar to Black Flag/Rogue. I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t include all the stuff that was in Black Flag into Skull and Bones. It’s like, it’s right there!!! lol

UI isn’t great but I can get past that if the game plays good which it should but obviously, have to wait and see.

On a side note, I know we’ve mentioned Game Pass but it seems that Sony has the marketing deal for the game as it’s listed on the PlayStation YouTube channel but not on the Xbox YouTube channel as of a few minutes ago. If this is the case, then im not expecting it to be on Game Pass day one. Really hoping Ubisoft+ is available by the time this game releases.

Keep in mind that Ubisoft+ Basic, which is what was rumored, isn’t for brand new titles. That said, I could see them moving this game into that service asap since it is a GaaS.

There’s two plans for Ubisoft+ available for PC. One for PC only and the other includes PC, Stadia and Luna. Both include day one releases for all games and DLC/expansions.

There’s Ubisoft+ Classics for PS5 which is basically a limited version of the vault games. That’s not what im hoping for. Ubisoft has said twice that the main subscription service is coming to Xbox platforms. I don’t care about their vault games. I want the subscription that includes their day one games and DLC/expansions.

What happened to Basic? It didn’t used to include day 1 releases I don’t think. Did that change or did they just get rid of it entirely?

I don’t know. Below is what they have listed on their storefront. I always thought it was just one plan at $15 but im not a PC guy so until just a few minutes ago, I didn’t even know they had two plans.

1 Like

Holy molly!! How do you managed to do that?! You have completed AC 4 times or is there a point where you stop?

I have tried to completed twice but theres a point where I suddenly judt lost interest in continuing because I felt that I’ve seen all the game offers. BIG SPOILER OF AC 4It is always after Blackbeard’s death.

On topic: The game seems…interesting, specually if you enjoyed past AC’s game naval combat but I think you have to really REALLY love that to muster the strenght to give this game $70/80 (even more expensive in Colombia) and couple with the fact that its a Ubisoft GAAS…