Silly us waiting to buy a Series X when all we could do is buy a 3070

This is exactly why I left PC Gaming. I’m a father of 3 now and don’t want/need the added headache that comes with it. There is a sense of comfort and ease with simply playing on the couch.

I do miss my mouse and keyboard games occasionally. Hoping Series X brings that to the front as well with some games. Maybe Age of Empires will spearhead that?

2 Likes

My PC is more powerful than my One X. I still do 80/20 gaming on console. We all have different priorities though. I never understood the back and forth of which is a better value. If you need a somewhat decent PC for whatever non gaming needs you use it for, covering that gap was never too much more expensive than console gaming unless you are one of those gamers who needed the absolute best.

Beyond that, it really doesn’t matter. Xbox isn’t a console. It’s a platform. It’s cool to be excited about whichever new piece of tech you go with this year. There are plenty of Xbox gamers in here who no longer play on Xbox consoles already. 1/3rd of my friends list permanently migrated away from the console. Still my friends.

2 Likes

I don’t believe there is much competition between console buyers and PC buyers. I mean how many are considering a console but instead just decide to build their own PC after seeing some good prices on a video card? The markets are totally different IMO. Now there are gamers who want the most powerful system and are going to build a PC, but I don’t think they ever consider a console unless it is as a secondary system or they just get frustrated with PCs. Pre-built PCs are a thing I guess but nobody really likes those. The overlap here is pretty small and doesn’t even take into account those who will want both.

Yeah and on this note, people who used to buy Xbox only as a secondary platform due to it’s exclusives but spent most of their time on PC are now more connected to the Xbox ecosystem and Xbox console friends than they were before. Those 50/50 day 1 games (or services) are easier to purchase when available on your preferred platform. It’s a situation where nobody is losing.

I had some friends that migrated to PC early in the gen so all this, as someone who prefers console not due to price but simplicity, is awesome to me.

people who didn’t want an Xbox but still wanted to play MS games have been doing so on PC from …2016 or 2017, around that time

also, take it from someone who didn’t buy either a 360 or a One

money spent on MS games and services from 2006 to 2016/2017 = 0$

money spent on MS games and services from 2016/2017 to 20xx >0$

Do we really need a thread on dumb tweets?

3 Likes

I really don’t know if these people are for real or not. I can’t tell anymore.

1 Like

Amen

“Editor, News, Analysis & Games industry Finance … etc”

Didn’t know someone has this profile description can easily tweet this suspicious “paid” comment :confused:

1 Like

The fact is that Nvidia is going to make a few gamers think with the 3070 at $499. What should make you happy is that it will put pressure on Sony and MS to release at the same price, just so they don’t lose customers to the PC market. If the SX and PS5 are $599 and the 3070 (higher specs than both) is $499, some may just make the transition instead of picking up a console

I think this guarantees that both consoles will be $499 …

I’m sure I’ll upgrade my GPU at some point. But currently my bottleneck is a horrible CPU and a slower SSD. My 1070 isn’t my main problem.

PC gaming initial investment is more expensive than console gaming.

Almost guaranteed the same people spouting this conveniently buried that the PS5’s SSD can be outclassed as well. Now granted, that was a $2000 SSD, but people actually fucking compare the 3090 to the Series X. This is a stupid debate, especially as both platform holders shift to move games to PC.

You get what you pay for and provided the price is right, nothing else matters. As well, graphics cards, cpus, etc. come and go as better hardware comes but for better or worse, come the end of the gen the Series X and PS5 will be pushed to their limits. It’s just the nature of the business.

1 Like

It really is, especially seeing tweets like that from Tom Warren, and others, that call out the Series X directly while ignoring the massive alien-looking elephant that’s less powerful. Anyone calling the Xbox bias media hyperbole or nonexistent only need to look at this past week to prove that it’s very real and still very apparent. The PS5 and XSX will be plenty powerful, and for a number of components it’s the largest generational leap in some time, but anyone who has been in gaming since… well the dawn of it knows that PCs will always be more powerful. The narrative currently going around however neglects the other side of that coin, from the rather sharp cost increase, configuration “hassle” of video settings configuration, and the fact that consoles benefit from optimizations that are arguably impossible on PC (simply due to the incalculable configuration possibilities). I for one, can verify that my One X can still run some games better and at higher fidelity than my PC that’s currently running 40 GB RAM, i9, and a 9 TFLOP GPU, so that last point should never be discounted; I’m still amazed at what Sony and Microsoft (and several third-parties) were able to achieve this gen, running on those rather paltry Jaguar CPUs.

3 Likes

I am always amazed by what devs were able to achieve with the Jaguar CPU’s this gen. Honestly, I think people will be surprised by what the Series X can do later this gen, especially now that DirectStorage is also coming to PC.

1 Like

someone post this yet? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Issue with this argument is just the GPU will cost the same as Xbox Series X or even a PS5. Then you have to get other computer components like; CPU that doesn’t bottleneck, decent motherboard, 600w+ power supply, 16gb-32gb ram, etc. Will at least cost a person an additional $500+, and you have to factor in getting a monitor unless you want to hook up pc to your TV.

So I can see why building a PC is not for everybody, but I do understand how tempting it is to build one