Should Xbox Game Studios focus on reviving old IPs or producing new IPs?

There isn’t going to be another Halo game after Infinite (in the traditional way), Halo Infinite is the going to be a platform which gets updates.

2 Likes

Just had time to caught up with the podcast… @Sikamikanico you remember Freelancer too, I knew you were a good egg :wink: :heart:

1 Like

I’d personally like to see these brought back

• Double Fine Studios - Blinx and Voodoo Vince
  • Tango Gameworks - Ninety-Nine Nights (Maybe brought back like God of War into something amazing and improve it dramatically)
  • The Coalition - Brute Force
  1. Phantom Dust
  2. Blue Dragon
  3. Lost Odyssey
  4. Bullet Witch (Be our Bayonetta)

I just hope we get a Halo Wars 3, the game would most likely do a lot better now since they can put it on Steam, Windows Store, Game Pass and Xbox. Perfect game that might not sell much normally but would make the fan base really happy, me included :slight_smile: I don’t think I’ve gotten over those cutscenes to this day.

Actually, Microsoft is doing both, and I like that.

New IPs:

• Starfield

• Everwild

• As Dusk Falls

• Arkane Austin’s new IP

• Compulsion’s new IP

• Inxile’s new steampunk RPG

• Whatever Double Fine is doing is a new IP

• Ghostwire Tokyo

• Deathloop

• Indiana Jones

Revived old IPs:

• Battletoads

• Perfect Dark

• Fable

• Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Age of Empires

They should focus on both. That’s not a cop out answer. It’s that they have a handful of IP that would transition very nicely today and increase the diversity of their portfolio. At the same time there are various in their portfolio they can not fill with existing IP and there are teams that have new ideas and passions to chase and they should support that.

Both. I love what they did with Flight Simulator, Killer Instinct, and (to a lesser degree) Battletoads.

I want to see Banjo and Viva Pinata brought back. I also hope we see another Killer Instinct this generation.

I think they will soon be so much man power there will be simply lots of both. So they will leverage both the nostalgia factor as well the novelty of new IP.

Yes, yes, OMG yes, and yes :slight_smile:

I think with Gamepass PC being a thing there’s no reason not to do HW 3.

Game did good numbers on Pc and there’s an audience for rts games that Ms is actively pursuing with Gamepass

1 Like

da50c077f4d17a8c8b33d790bdbe9151

New stuff is great, but has an inherent risk attached. A balanced approach is always the best bet.

1 Like

I’m still a sucker for nostalgia. Bringing back an IP that’s been dormant for years still feels fresh while reliving some nice “feels”. Mech Assault seems like the biggest no-brainer IP in the dormant vault.

Seeing the work Sumo has done recently on Sackboy and the historical good work they’ve done with Sega’s family friendly IPs, it would be nice to see Microsoft align them with Rare for Banjo, Kameo and Viva Piñata.

Yeah there was that conversation earlier in the week about who MS could buy next (conversations like that typically dont interest me) but given Phil Spencer has mentioned family friendly being a current weakness, buying Sega and their IP and contracting Sumo (or buying them) to work on some E games from a MS portfolio including Sega would be wonderful.

Viva Pinata was my favorite game of the 360 gen, a revisit would be an amazing sandbox/crafting/“zoo tycoon” game for the new gen. Its a shame Rare Replay didnt fix the wildcard system in VP.