Should Xbox Game Studios focus on reviving old IPs or producing new IPs?

Over the years, I’ve been seeing a lot of people asking for Microsoft to revive old IPs.

• Battletoads (revived)
  • Phantom Dust
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Perfect Dark (revived)
  • etc.

I understand that fans have nostalgia, but as someone who only joined Xbox this gen, I don’t really get excited by these and I don’t think they’re a good strategy for growing Xbox. I would like to see a larger focus on new IPs, especially from Microsoft’s new studios, rather than them reviving old IPs.

I am not against reviving old IPs wholesale. I think there is value in IPs like Banjo and Viva Pinata and major IPs like Fable, but do we really need a sequel to Kameo, Crimson Skies, Phantom Dust, or freaking RYSE?

Wouldn’t you like to see what The Coalition and The Initiative could come up with? Rare’s focus on new IPs has blessed us with Sea of Thieves and will bring us Everwild.

Which approach do you think would be more successful? Old IPs or new IPs?

What should Xbox Game Studios focus on?
  • Reviving old IPs
  • Producing new IPs
  • Mix of both

0 voters

1 Like

Yes, we do need another Crimson Skies, to answer your question

5 Likes

Mix of both.

Would like to see Ryse 2, a new ShadowRun game and Jet Force Gemini returns as a Ratchet & Clank clone.

Other than that, I would like to see new IP’s/franchises.

2 Likes

I think they should build or buy 1-2 studios specifically for that… to be a XGS Bluepoint

If existing studios want to tackle with an old ip, thats great too

3 Likes

A mix of both would be awesome. Since all their studios have the freedom to do what they do, I think one of the best option would be a studio like Bluepoint joining Xbox. At least for now, this could help the revival of older IPs for a new public.

2 Likes

Should be a Mix of both

Kameo could be Xbox Zelda

I loved Ryse so give me more

Conker could be one of the platformers for Xbox

Lost Odyssey could fill the JRPG

I do also like the idea @peter42O said about Jet Force Genmini being a Ratchet clone cause I love Ratchet & Clank

1 Like

I think they should focus on their E rated notable IP, Viva Pinata, Banjo and Jet Set Gemini.

3 Likes

Credit for this idea goes to @Shpeshal_Nick who mentioned it on a recent XboxEra podcast. Never thought of it until I heard him mention it in the podcast.

1 Like

A mix of both is best. Xbox should continue to cultivate new IP and revitalize and reinvigorate legacy IP to keep their identity. There are a lot of Sony/Nintendo IP that they continue to make that I’m not excited about, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea.

And we definitely need a new Crimson Skies and MechAssault.

1 Like

A mix of both, but I don’t want Microsoft to just assign an IP to a team if they don’t want it. I would want to see them make deals with third party devs to bring the old IPs to a new gen.

5 Likes

I’ve actually been saying it for like…years

Mix of Both because Xbox has a very solid catalog of IPs, if it Sony I’ll go with new IPs only, same for Nintendo, so I’m not frustrated with Series X|S approach in resurrecting IPs (Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, Perfect Dark, Age of Empires, Flight Simulator) Still more effort to resurrect lot of Xbox legacy… in my opinion:

70% for existing IPs

30% for new IPs

1 Like

I would like them to focus more on newer IPs than reviving old ones.

The reason being PS has been in the industry longer than XBOX and Sony has more history and nostalgia attached to its brand. And considering older XBOX IPs will resonate to the older gamers more which are much fewer in number than PS gamers.

I believe it will be a bigger risk for them bring back much older games than the ones in recent deade than the ones from OG and early 360 era.

Having said that they have enough studios and wiggle room now that they can concentrate on both new and old IPs simultaneously. But since new IPs have less clout attached to it, it will be better to focus initially on the newer IPs and mid gen they can start bringing older ones.

I understand that you’re new to Xbox, but you should give Kameo more credit. It is an IP with a ton of potential (even though the main character could use a redesign). I’m secretly hoping Everwild has some Kameo DNA.

Just… bring back Crimson Skies please. Other than that I don’t really care whether they revive other older IPs or not. A mix of both is probably best.

New IP is vastly overrated imo. Reviving an IP that has been dead for 20 years is essentially a new IP for most people, yet it still has a core fanbase that’ll get excited for the game. Kinda a win-win.

Though number one priority is making whatever the studios themselves want to make. I’d rather not MS go and force IPs, new or old, on any of them.

4 Likes

Mix of both feels like a cop-out answer, but that’s what I put. :slight_smile:

I think in some ways too, there’s not that much of a line between old IP and new. Like with Perfect Dark-- there was only one well-received PD game and it’s decades old. We’re not talking about Star Wars here. As long as they make a spy game with a female protagonist, does it really change anything to call it Perfect Dark or something else?

1 Like

Exactly. At the end of the day it’s been a long time since the previous Perfect Dark and gaming has changed tremendously since then. While I’m sure some mechanics/easter eggs are expected to be there, for all intents and purposes this is a new IP with the benefit of having an already existing fanbase.

2 Likes

Fr would love xbox to have some platformers. I know Astro a glorified tech demo for the PS5 but its super fun and charming.

1 Like

Both. There are some excellent IPs worth revisiting and new IPs are always welcome.

1 Like