Should I get an Elite Series 2 Controller?

Normal or the Halo Infinite special edition?

Just the normal one. It was actually the announce of the Halo one that got me thinking about one. But the preorder on the MS store is sold out and the standard is cheaper anyway, plus I like the all black/grey aesthetic too.

1 Like

Yes. Durability is an issue, but paddles, stick heights and being able to adjust the stick response curve completely changes the game.

2 Likes

I can almost never resist a new colour or LE :wink: A few design labs ones too!

2 Likes

Best of luck, my friend. My negativity is probably compounded by the fact that I never got used to paddles so hardly ever use them. I really should give it another ago, they’re treated like they’re revelatory.

1 Like

I would say only get it if you are a collector of controllers as series 3 should be on it’s way, specially with how long the series 2 has been out and the need to update it to match the new controllers(share button mostly).

Definitely don’t want an Elite Series 3, unless they base it off the Xbox One pad. Main motivation is that the Series controller is giving me RSI.

Thanks mate. Appreciate all the feedback, good and bad. Feel I may as well take a chance as I know the Series controller isn’t working for me.

1 Like

I would recommend with the caveat that you get insurance. If you feel the insurance is too much, don’t bother, the build quality is too variable.

Edit: the controller is incredible though

1 Like

After a little bit of looking for other controllers with paddles I found that Collective Minds makes an attachment to add paddles to most wireless Xbox controllers. Unfortunately it converts them to wired. :frowning: Guess if you want wireless & paddles your only option is the Elite. Bummer. $35 for paddles would have been great, but not at the expense of wireless. Too bad wireless+paddles will cost you $164.

1 Like

We get a year warranty by law on electrical goods in the UK so I don’t have to worry about that. If it’s a build issue it will manifest itself within a year of use. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m UK too, but it depends where you purchase it from AFAIK. I got mine from Amazon with the bubble insurance for £15 and covers it for 3 years which was banging. I’ve sent the controller back once and because it’s Amazon had it in my hands in a day.

I bought both the Series 1 and Series 2 and really enjoy using them. However I tend to play games at a high level and want that smooth gameplay that is required for some shooters. However I have recently switched to keyboard and mouse for competitive play.

The only issue I have had with my elite series 2 is the right bumper sometimes registers a double press. This could be annoying if you are switching guns in fortnite with the bumper and the controller registers a double press and moves over to another gun you didnt ask for. Outside of that I havent had stick drift or face button issues. Its a good controller and feels great. However like I said, unless you want to play at a high level with some shooters like Halo, Apex or CoD, its not worth it. MS has a bunch of great controller designs. If you want the paddles you can order a striker pack and turn off mods and just use them for whatever you map them to.

I think one of the reasons I like my mechanical keyboard and mouse is I rarely have issues with them. Mechanical keyboards hold up ridiculously well. Gaming Mice these days are good for 10 million clicks on their main mouse buttons. Only issue is to get good at K&M is that you need to practice a lot to be a decent shot.

If you have a warranty, yes.

If not, no.

Way too many people having stick drift/stick freeze/trigger stuck issues for a $200 USD controller.

Unbelievable! Starting to think the land of the free and the home of the brave isn’t number one at everything :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Would love to know why this throwaway sarcastic comment upset someone. Please send me a message and let me know what you found objectionable, let’s hash it out :smiley:

Second edit: We hashed it out, no harm intended. Props to the person for reaching out to me and explaining themselves like a mature adult :grin:

1 Like

It’s as Nick said on the podcast before. Consumer rights in The US is shockingly bad. No one in their right mind can disagree.

2 Likes

Oh believe me, that comment was positively dripping in sarcasm and black humor. Don’t get me started :wink:

I’ve had two of them, it’s easily the best controller I’ve ever owned when it works. When it works is the key, both ones I’ve owned have had a sticky A button.

Its a surprising lack of quality control on Microsoft’s part as the Series 1 was also notorious for its issues.

I’m hoping the third iteration finally gets it right.

Wish I Hadnt smashed my elite controller to bits thanks to Dark Souls.

This. Feels amazing but not worth 200. I don’t care what anyone says