Shadow of the Tomb Raider might be getting optimized for Xbox Series X|S soon

The bandwidth spec I have read from multiple sources for One X is 12Gb @326GB/s.

If that is correct, and 9GB is available for games, then the bandwidth available to games is 9GB @244.5GB/s

I mean, I’m shit at maths so correct me if I’m wrong but I have run that through a calculator multiple times and it keeps saying the same thing.

Note: I agree with the comment above that we are derailing the thread at this point, just didn’t want to appear to be ignoring you. Will stop responding now though.

Weird I thought it already had some Series X upgrades

im sorry :cry:

1 Like

Hopefully the other two games as well. Although I’m so happy Tomb Raider DE is finally 60fps.

Ima be honest this makes no sense. Why green lit the game to get FPS Boosted in the first place?

And yet another FPS Boost game got optimized today!

:skull:

Ima be honest xbox needs to get confirmation from these people of their intent to update games natively and give up a spot to other games. This is ridiculous.

They do. They do not enable FPSBoost for a game without the Developers/Publishers permission. It’s not Xbox’s fault that the Devs/Pubs changed their mind or didn’t disclose they were going to do an upgrade patch.

Edit:

Though to be fair to the devs, maybe they didn’t realize how easy it would be to do an upgrade or maybe they underestimated how much of a difference higher refresh rate can make. Maybe they had to show proof to Management that upgrades could pull in more players and thus more money for the company.

3 Likes

Yeah, they said multiple times that even if they don’t need devs/pubs intervention most of the time, they always ask for permission first.

This is more of what I meant. I know xbox asks for permissions but Publishers/Devs gotta be more upfront. Now we have like 3 games running nonsense fps boosts.

1 Like

Thinking a little more about it, I’d like to think the Devs/Pubs were upfront and honest, but the detailed engagement metrics Xbox is able to provide made them change their mind. Like they (devs) could not convince management until they had their evidence to show positive improvements for their business.

O’ell, we should be happy they didn’t got the Director’s Cut route and require a fee.

1 Like

One X didn’t have enough for 4k either. I could count the amount of games on one hand One X ran Native 4k games. It was nearly always 1800p or below.

And thats fine. One X CPU is so bad running games at 4k should’t have been a selling point. It was more of a system that should have maybe sacrificed in its GPU department for its CPU. a 5 Teraflop system still capable of the checkerboard rendering and a vastly superior CPU would have put it in a much better position.

Despite being nearly 1.5x more powerful than a PS4 Pro, the CPU bottlenecked a lot of its performance.

The FPS boost in TR is broken late game apparently anyway. Some sequences are harder to do.

And it can be disabled.

This whole “FPS Boost” was a nice marketing tool for MS. But in reality knowing how it works. Without 3rd party input in the OG ource code…its not going to be the best. A lot of games are having to lower resolution to get a FPS boost. Thats a load of horsecrap.

BEthesda games are now 1st party. Games like The Evil Within 2 should be able to run 4k 60FPS on Series X easily. But its 1800p and drops to lower res with FPS boost on.

??? Its a legit great feature improving games to better framerates. It has a trade off that you can or cant use on most games where developers arent gonna go back and update.

4 Likes
  1. Relax…FPS boost is an awesome option to have and not “a load of horsecrap”.
  2. We are at the start of the generation and as shown in the previous generation BC WILL get better.
  3. The FPS boost option for TEW2 was for Series S, Series X already has the unlock the frame-rate option from the One X profile available so it’s already at 1800p/60fps (w/ some drops here and there).
8 Likes

We have 97 games with FPS Boost. Only 20 off them are Off by Default on Xbox Series X, which mean they run in/up to 60 fps through Xbox One S profile or 120 fps is not available for Xbox Series S for few games. Some of them could be disappointed, like Wasteland 3 (yes, I agree it should have direct next-gen patch), but sometimes we can’t have everything.

• Anthem™ (120 fps for Xbox Series S not available)
  • Assassin’s Creed® III Remastered
  • Battlefield™ 1 (120 fps for Xbox Series S not available)
  • Battlefield™ V (120 fps for Xbox Series S not available)
  • Dishonored®: Death of the Outsider™
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Far Cry® 5
  • Far Cry® New Dawn
  • Gears of War 4 (Off by Default on Xbox Series X, because FPS Boost is for Xbox Series S)
  • Homefront®: The Revolution
  • Hyper Scape™
  • Monster Energy Supercross 3
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville™
  • SMITE®
  • STAR WARS™ Battlefront™ II (120 fps for Xbox Series S not available)
  • The Evil Within 2 (Off by Default on Xbox Series X, because FPS Boost is for Xbox Series S)
  • Titanfall® 2
  • Unravel Two
  • Wasteland 3

I’m talking more about the way its handled

DArk Souls 3 FPS boost still locked to 900p. Its ridiculous. Not MS’s fault but still.

Been looking at this update and so far I’m not sure why it was done. The resolution is the same 2016p and the performance has not been fixed. Not sure if it’s been improved, still need to run the footage through analysis, but I’m still experiencing drops. Maybe we’ll see bigger improvements on the Series S.

It doesn’t seem like you understand the point of FPS boost nor do you know how it works. It’s not a marketing tool, it’s an optional performance boost without needing the developer’s involvement. Acting like games such at TEW2 and Dark Souls 3 should be able to easily look and run better proves you don’t know why FPS boost exists in the first place. For TEW2 to run at 4K60, it would require the developers to produce a Series patch. Many of these games wouldn’t see any update at all, so are you suggesting it would be best to not do anything at all to provide some form of enhancements?

FPS Boost =/= new gen update. Let’s try not to mix the two because they are nothing alike. Let’s also try not to pretend that there isn’t a space for features like FPS boost.

I guess I’m curious, how would you handle it differently?

7 Likes

It’s not XSX here, but that doesn’t matter.

I wonder if that update will patch these drops to 40 fps on Xbox Series X via FPS Boost :face_with_monocle: