Sega Sammy is splitting its gaming business into two separate entities, shake up on the corporate board

Sega games on Gamepass Day 1 would be amazing.

Why do you care what some basement manchild think?

2 Likes

@clashfan OtherERA is still a widely viewed popular site. Zhuge is still a vastly popular source of information brokerage on Twitter. Negative attitudes towards us will hamper growth of probably the only semi-serious Xbox community forum out there.

Thatā€™s just me.

I want to see this place thrive.

It probably doesnā€™t even matter, that dude got banned for like three weeks anyways.

Iā€™m personally going to let the founders/mods of this site dictate what we can or canā€™t talk about. As long as people are having funā€¦

2 Likes

TBH I donā€™t think itā€™s worth worrying about other forums that much. As long as we donā€™t become people who think Microsoft can do no wrong or just super biased in general, itā€™ll be miles better than other places.

Also a lot of the forum features here are insanely convenient; Iā€™ve never seen anything like it.

3 Likes

Hey thatā€™s fair.

Iā€™m not a modā€¦ Yetā€¦

Dude Xbox era is amazing for some of itā€™s intergrations.

Shit that OtherERA and Reddit donā€™t even had.

Itā€™s like space-age technology.

Not sure if you should grant us so much power though! :wink:

Now, please talk about Sega and stop with the talk about other websites and platforms.

Because Sega is worth talking about. Microsoft has had a very strong relation with Sega Europe/America in the past years. Relic is a Sega studio working on Age of Empires 4 and Creative Assembly has worked on many Halo projects, most notably Halo Wars 2.

Even if Sega isnā€™t acquired, the strength of Sega Europe is important for Microsoft as they could be a way to gain more success on PC. Having Sega projects like Two Point Hospital and Company of Heroes on Game Pass improves the platform and subscription.

3 Likes

At this point, it would be weirder if MS didnā€™t have some bigger parternship or something, anything to do with Sega. It makes too much sense. MS have strenghten its ties with Sega for some times now, probably gauging interest with Gamepass. Also, they both have common interests in gaming : one need money and expand its market, the other, good and iconic franchises and a backdoor in the japanese market. If there is nothing really, and itā€™s just getting the Yakuza games on Gamepass, that would be disappointing. Still, itā€™s hard to know with MS and Xbox, they have tricked us a lot last year !

1 Like

I would bet that this is a strong indication of a looming sale to Microsoft, but even if it isnā€™t itā€™s good to recognize that theyā€™re going to be a good partner for Xbox going forward no matter what.

The sooner everyone accepts that Microsoft/Amazon/Google are likely going to buy some big fish this year the better. A lot of armchair-CEOing and irrational panic going on; needs to be more game playing and less game typing.

Forza Presents Outrun 3 with Ferrari Licence.

A lot of people on the other site crying about how MS is going to buy up everything.

Folks need to relax.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah thinking about Sega gives me mixed feelings because as great as Persona on gamepass would be, itā€™d be brutal to deny all the fans on Playstation from those epic games. That said, itā€™s a plain fact that a lot of those same people Iā€™m talking about were gleeful when they saw that FF16 is a timed exclusive.

Owning both consoles definitely helps with the bias, as I think a lot of people simply think ā€œI have a lot of platinum trophies or achievemenet points, I donā€™t want to switch to the other sideā€

I do think if it happened then Persona would end up being one of those ā€œCase by caseā€ games, ATLUS have an obvious preference for releasing on Playstation and the fanbase for those games is on there. Persona isnā€™t a system seller, itā€™s a very niche title

Yep. Lots are too happy to drink the bath water of Cerny and post Craig memes.

But now are crying about not being able to play future games on the console that they traditionally were on.

MS wants to make their ecosystem compelling to consumers. This is one way of going about that.

It is almost as if these outraged individuals want MS to shoot themselves on the foot. All we need to do is rewind 7 days to see how many people swore off MS forever because of a stupidly conceived Xbox Gold hike. Indeed there is a subset that are itching to slate MS.

But once again, SFV was not going to be made without Sony moneyā€¦

Honestly I think Sega, would cover a lot of bases for MS, and I feel like this suggestion at the very least would suggest that there is a possibility of Sega being sold off to someone. If itā€™s MS or not itā€™s another matter all together but if it is

1. I think thereā€™s a lot of potential for the games Sega puts out now in a gamepass model. In particular I think Yakuza on gamepass is great, and Yakuza along with Atlus would cover MSā€™s bases pretty well on the JRPG front

2. Sonic would cover their need for more ā€œrated E gamesā€ and honestly MS could probably manage sonic better than Sega has. Itā€™s an IP that needs a lot of work, but if managed properly has a lot of potential both in games and outside of games tbh

3. Atlus is probably as good as MS will get in getting some flagship JRPG franchises in their portfolio. While some are fearing that an Atlus under Microsoft might kill them, I think it woud strengthen gamepass in Japan as well as globally.

4. Atlus games and the direction the Yakuza franchise seems to be going in (turn based) lends themselves well to Xcloud, and I feel that Xcloud has a lot of potential in Japan, especially if thereā€™s content behind it that appeals to the Japanese Market.

5. with Atlus, if Microsoft can prove that Japanese players enjoy playing JRPGs via Xcloud that could pave the way to other smaller Japanese developers (think Falcom and Gust) to take a really good look and consider working with Microsoft to not only bring their games to Xcloud, but also Xbox consoles proper. Perhaps thereā€™s also a chance that with some actual Japanese content behind gamepass the Series S could take off in Japan as well, but I think Xcloud has a lot of potential.

6. is kinda related to 5) but, when it comes to the smaller Japanese developers (again like Falcom, Gust, etc) Microsoft could really invest in Atlus USA to help with the localization of Japanese games, outside of Sega and Atlus games. Those games could still release on other platforms if the developer wants, but in Microsoft helping to localize the game, it would basically have to come to Xbox. Before Sega bought Atlus, Atlus USA used to localize Atlus games and games from other developers (see Utawarerumono), but since being bought out Atlus has gone all in and has become a Sega factory (localizing the Yakuza games, Sakura Wars, Atlus Japanā€™s own games)

7. While Atlus games would work well for gamepass, I think those are also games that would do very well on PC (in particular steam) for MS. While gamepass continues to be Microsoftā€™s focus, I think having the likes of Atlus and Yakuza, and commit to day and date launches on PC for all of that IP would lead to a decent amount of revenue from steam sales.

8. MS seems to already be working with some Sega owned western devs (relic and creative assembly) which would likely fit in rather well into Microsoftā€™s studios.

9. I think if Microsoft actually can buy anyone in Japan itā€™s probably Sega, as I just donā€™t think any of the other big publishers are really on the table.

of course this all hinges on the assumption that Sega wants to sell in the first place, which honestly we really donā€™t know. A lot is being assumed from this one headline, but between the sources yesterday, and this just so happening to drop today, I feel like thereā€™s something there.

4 Likes

I just canā€™t help thinking how huge an Xbox Series S would be in Japan with a back catalog of Sega games going all the way back to the Master System being available through BC.

This acquisition needs to happen imo for the sake of game preservation as only MS, out of the big 3, seems to actively be trying to do something about it.

I still think itā€™s a partnership instead of an outright partnership

1 Like

Pretty poor taste

Edit: wait, thatā€™s not thr right quote! Apologies, sorry sorry. I guess I am still a bit on edge.

Idk man, Sega is the only other publisher that makes sense for Xbox to partner with on a deeper level. All these Ubisoft, take two, bungie, etc would only reinforce the existing Xbox paradigm, thatā€™s all. Sega covers all the remaining bases Xbox lacks right now and thereā€™s major precedent or both companies having a strong relationship. I donā€™t think an acquisition is necessary, an EA play type deal would suffice as well. Day 1 gamepass would be amazing as well, but thatā€™s the golden standard goal, thereā€™s gotta be a lot of work required to get there in the first place. Xbox could ensure these ports got funded, get localisation done (like Xbox helped with Yakuza LAD), make sure to get newer games not just developed for Xbox ecosystem but released at the same time as other consoles and occasionally make second party deals like theyā€™ve done with Halo Wars 2 and upcoming AoE 4. Do these and youā€™ll have a winner in your hands.

1 Like