Sega Sammy is splitting its gaming business into two separate entities, shake up on the corporate board

I’m not going to say that MS is going to but SEGA or anything like that. Because who knows.

But I will say this, this move to split SEGA [Console and PC] - [Arcade and Pachinco] sure as hell makes it easier for Sega Sammy to sell one or the other to a prospective buyer. And if there is a prospective buyer, then buying one side (say the Console/PC part) just became a hell of alot easier.

1 Like

I think there is so much to be said about the merits and the cons of Microsoft buying Sega, that it could have its own thread.

My question is whether this makes Sega a more palatable target for Amazon, Google, Sony, Microsoft, or even Nintendo. We often think of Sony and Nintendo having less of an ability to purchase publishers, but the reality is that it would not cost as much as Zenimax and might make perfect sense for a company like Nintendo or Sony. Nintendo to expand their family-friendly content. Sony to compliment their serious AAA content with family-friendly offerings.

While I see the value of Sega Japan for Nintendo, they do not need their successful PC gaming business. Sports Interactive, Creative Assembly and Relic for example.

2 Likes

tbh, I think this is more aligned towards finding a buyer of their non-gaming division. Sega Sammy will never sell their money-making division in order to keep their division on deficit (that would be the worst deal ever). Afterwards we can speculate about Microsoft/Google/Amazon acquiring Sega.

2 Likes

A reddit users noticed that all of SEGA’s games gets a special call out on GamePass

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

Yeah. Wait and see.

I guess it has been there for a while, but no one paid attention until now. EA Play games are also highlighted like this in the store.

This smells like a Game Pass partnership, similar to EA. If it were an acquisition, it would take months.

1 Like

As someone who only owned sega consoles my entire life until the dreamcast went under and only hopped to xbox because thats where my sega titles end up. Please give me a sega branded xbox if this happens.

:eyes: