Scarlet Nexus: The launch is upon us (Reviews are out)

I got killed on the final phase too but an ally saved my ass and revived me. Hoo boy, that was way too close.

2 Likes

I beat this game, and man I really loved it even with a couple of annoying game design things here and there. I had Nier Automata as maybe my GOTY when I first played it, and I think that I actually had more minute to minute fun playing through this one due to the great combat feel and high quality anime integration with a wild story.

1 Like

Agree that the final dungeon drags way too much

1 Like

This is anime to a fault with embarrassingly awful writing. Characters are walking cliches and pacing is nonexistent between major plot points. There’s literally no nuance, context or prefacing to anything that happens—it just does occurs and is barely interconnected beat to beat. There’s absolutely no levity to any of the melodrama with the shoehorned Persona-esque social system that is undeveloped and out of place. It’s really disappointing because there’s a cool combat system, setting and aesthetic here, but the game capitalizes on only a quarter of its potential if even that.

1 Like

I finished Yuito’s campaign last night and today I’ve been storming through Kasane’s. 5 hours was enough to get to Chapter 10, for those wondering. I did all the side stuff for streghtening friendship, but skipped most of the cutscenes and every fight I could.

I’m not done whining:

Summary
  • Are there even real side quests or are they all “kill X with Y?” Lame.

• Localization is really subpar. Aside from a number of grammatical errors, I’m listening to these characters speak in Japanese, recognize some of the words, see their emotion and the context at hand… and the translation just doesn’t line up. It’s always delivered so stiffly.

• Combat is the best and worst part of this game. Dodging feels like it works half the time and locking onto an enemy works 75% time as you’ll be flailing past their model when attacking.

• How many times are you going to make me beat the baddie only for them to escape and show up again, am I playing Halo 5 here?

• The waifu bait nonsense of horny, scantily dressed women is too much. Come on, Japan. Do romance, have a love interest, but stop this harem bullshit.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m with you. I really enjoyed the game, I mean way more than Nier Automata tbh… But the game have this template and timing for reveals that doesn’t feel natural. From the intro through the end, you can’t really explore or do anything meaningful. It’s just ‘go to this point’, ‘cutscene’, then combat, ‘cutscene’ “What are we going to do ?”, ‘combat’, back to the city/hideout, talk to people, buy items, then repeat. Even the weapons you unlock is linear.

It’s crazy how FFXIII was ahead of its time… :wink:

1 Like

Finished Yutio’s campaign and I enjoyed this game a lot. I think it’s one of my favourite games to release this year

1 Like

This game intrigues me. I’ll be all over this as soon as it hits Game Pass (which I expect).

How are we feeling about this game now, several months later? I’m looking at GOTY mop-up and wondering if this is worth sinking some time into. HLTB puts it around 35-40 hours, which feels long to me, but if there are any big defenders of the game, come and speak your mind! Sell me on this game!

Haven’t tried it yet but Game Pass is the only sell I need

Yeah, I’ve started it (finished the tutorial) on Game Pass. It’s pretty slow-going early on, but I’m fine giving it a few more hours to see if I warm up to it.

Yeah I wasn’t huge on the demo they released. So we’ll see lol