[Rumor] Bungie soon part of the Xbox Game Studios?

Wth is this suppose to be? I’ve never heard of it

I thought they had another game in early pre-production or conception? I’d imagine that is what MS wants. Makes a lot of sense, very interested to see what happens.

What’s Jez’s track record?

But this sounds amazing and guarantees MS beating Sony this gen.

Destiny 2 is great though…The whole point of buying Bungie would be to leverage that community that wants that sort of shared world looter shooter online experience. If you want a dev team to make a single player game they are queuing up round the block - Bungie would be very expensive for that. You’d buy Bungie to make experiences like Destiny and hook in a large community into your ecosystem.

But it won’t happen for a fair few reasons.

Supposedly Bungie is working on a new game besides destiny. Most of the studios Microsoft has bought have added staff i could see them easily staffing up a second team under the Bungie Banner to do games as well. As its easier to add staff and team to an existing established structure that is known for quality then it is to build a studio from scratch.

The other distinction is just optics. People view minecraft as a microsoft game even if its on other platforms. Destiny could do the same thing.

@jezcordon

1 Like

He has a good track record.

Through takeover?

Yes it was funded by Netease a while ago

Also just by looking at what they are doing with Destiny 2 at this point shows it is a product on the backburner

Amazing. Can’t wait for this to happen then.

I don’t think getting funding from NetEase means much of anything personally. As NetEase doesn’t have a controlling stake in the company. Microsoft could also just buyout NetEase’s minority stake or they could just let NetEase collect its dividends quarterly like any other shareholder in Microsoft. Also depending on how terms were If Bungie agrees to sell NetEase’s stake could be liquidated as well and they would just get there portion of the sale. As NetEase having a minority stake wouldn’t be able to vote anything down.

I’m not saying Microsoft is going out going to buy Bungie. However, if they are NetEase wouldn’t even be a factor. In the current political market with how the US and Chinese funding is going. It could be more of a hindrance to Bungie.

Didn’t Jez say there were rumors, but the talks feel through? That’s what he said on his latest podcast with Rand. It’s what his smoke without fire tweet was about.

Jez talked about this on the Xbox Two podcast Friday. He said he had heard rumors of talks. He put out his statements in hopes people would reach out to him with more info. Looks like it’s not happening. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t talks.

I’d really like to see it happen because I believe Jason Jones is one of the best in the industry and having the full weight of Microsoft and Game Pass Ultimate behind Bungies new IP (that they’ve been hiring for) would be pretty awesome. On the flip side, with that money you could fund multiple AAA games in the same gen.

It’s like in sports…do you spend most of your off-season money on the proven superstar? Or do you spend it on multiple players who have good upside with the chance of them developing into multiple stars? It looks like Phil’s strategy is the later.

1 Like

This seems like crazy talk but I guess stranger things have happened. I remember Macworld 1997 when Jobs announced a partnership with MS. Gates then makes a video appearance. Everyone watching was so shocked. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. If Bungie deal happens I will feel the same way.

The only issue I have with Destiny being on GP is how long is it there? I could see them wanting to buy Bungie back so all Destiny content is free on Xbox but and have their next game as an exclusive but my guess is that Bungie has some pretty easy outs built into any contract. May just be a bridge too far all the way around.

Incredibly doubtful. Bungie is someone that can get investment if they need it. They aren’t a struggling company that needs help.

Surprised that many are against the idea. Bungie are one of the most talented studios in the world. It’s a no brainer.

I think some of that money, went towards the circa $184m they gave Activision to buy themselves out of that publishng agreement early.

Micorosft had \ has a minority stake in Bungie as well from the split, although it has been diffcult to track down what percentage they have / had.

Sure, would love them coming back but what exactly is the basis of this ‘rumor’? Simply having ppl discussing it means literally nothing. Or did Jez drop hints that he heard something? o.0