Review | Sniper Elite 5

Played the first level, really took my time, thought I had been everywhere, and no, I definitely still missed a bit. The second level I ran into a bug where literally a quarter of the enemies in the map (I counted at least 40 and that was after taking a bunch out) came from the castle area and kept trying to find me on top of a church. I was well hidden and they never found me, eventually most went away leaving maybe 10 or so, and I was able to take them out. The rest have stayed in the orange hunting status since then, and I ran back and forth taking one or two down on either edge and then going and hiding far away as they all swarmed there. Decided after one pass to run into the castle thing and ran into the person I was supposed to take out, meleed him but it alerted the swarm. I ran up to the third floor and hid in a area between the floors, had a ton of people above and below me but they don’t look in the hole I was in. Threw a grenade up to the top and got a multi kill for I have no clue how many people but I think 755 points. And now I still have to figure out how to make it alive out of there when at this point basically everyone knows where I’m at. Definitely something I’ll remember even if I don’t think it was quite intended to have that many people after you at a time. I do miss having extra types of explosives and the flare gun so far, and there are a few other things I prefer with the 4th game but overall it is quite good.

3 Likes

There are still a few Flare Pistols.

3 Likes

Started the campaign yesterday and its very fun.

Liked the first mission way more than the second one wich seems way more closed in options. One is so open its amazing, great opening mission. Its a shame the invasion is full of people leaving as soon as you join or gain advantage over them, they need to fix this. Either give them a penalty or give me the victory.

Been playing the multiplayer before that and its the best one so far. Opposite sides is my prefered mode, just so fun to play this mouse and cat game at hundreds of meters of distance.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’ve played this series since the second game, and the second mission was the first time I can remember where I wished for the Hitman-like ability to disguise myself using someone else’s clothing. It wasn’t a level particularly well suited to the Sniper Elite style of gameplay.

2 Likes

I’m terrible at this game.

3 Likes

Seventh level at the moment, but I’ve had the invasion turned off so far. Really good game if you take your time. Also I’m wondering about the grenade comment, can’t say I’ve had any trouble aiming it and getting it where I wanted. I kind of do prefer a lot of the mechanics of 4 over this one, even though this one looks better and the levels are really good. Not thrilled about not being able to swap weapons and only be able to pick others up for a while. Wish the flare gun was equipment like it was before. I’ve not had any luck with the one type of mine and haven’t bothered with the decoy. Do really like the melees, have been using that a LOT. And I have a pistol with 6x zoom that’s nice and quiet and just got an attachment for smg that is night sight that’s quite effective as well. I’ll definitely be replaying a bit

2 Likes

This game is hard. At least in the beginning when you don’t have many stealthy options. You shoot once with the sniper rifle and everyone is coming at you.

So it can get really intense. The maps are massive and there’s so many paths to choose from. And those patches of tall grass are pretty nice.

The game is pretty even when looking through the scope at some random soldier on the other side of the map. Impressive.

1 Like

Haven’t had the chance to play it yet, but can anyone tell me if this is a clean looking game? Basically, is the anti aliasing well done?

1 Like

This game is so good, I wasn’t expecting it…

It’s like a poor man’s Metal Gear Solid 5, and this one is my favorite MGS title

2 Likes

It’s a clean game, although if you really look in the distance, you can see a bit of aliasing. But it’s really not that distracting. If you played Sniper Elite 4, it’s pretty similar.

1 Like

I get a lot of frame drops on my little Series S but still serviceable for the most part (hoping for some performance patches). I am shocked at just how much fun it is when mixing up sniping, close quarters and traps, It all feels really satisfying. Would love to see Rebellion up the quality on cutscenes and characters for their next entry.

1 Like

I’ve absolutely been loving sneaking around behind people and meleeing. Probably could be cutting a good bit of time per level if I hadn’t been. Did have frame issue one time on Series X after tagging a bunch of people who were running around trying to find me but saved and ended session and went back in and had fixed. Also noticed I can’t turn properly if holding a flare gun, it seriously slows me down trying to turn around when holding it in the couple levels I found it almost like I’m holding a tank turret and trying to turn. Still much prefer landing that on top of a tank or group than trying to not be seen while shooting one with anti armor between sounds

Wouldn’t be shocked if they patch whatever is causing your frame issue.

2 Likes

I have played more since reviewing the game and had less trouble with the grenade funnily enough.

1 Like

I’m sure. If one played this like an action shooter and didn’t try for stealth at all, and it’s entirely possible to do so, the levels would not be very long at all.

But to me that’s not the point. I very much enjoy taking my time with the games in this series. I’m over 12 hours in right now, and am just at the very beginning of level 3. My current goal is to snipe everyone I can see in that town before I cross the bridge or river bed. I suspect I’ll run out of ammo before I do, but if that happens I’m planning on going only far enough to loot some ammo, before going back to the other side and continuing the sniping.

It’s also the kind of game where I’ll set challenges for myself, and will liberally reload a save until I complete it. Like on my current level, I saw a sniper over 400 meters away, and decided I wanted to kill him by shooting him in the eye. It took many tries, but eventually I got it. As @Vonterribad said, it felt very satisfying finally making that shot.

I love this series. It may not be “AAA” by traditional standards, but it’s definitely AAA to me.

4 Likes

Absolutely. I think I averaging 3-5 hours per. And the reason I’m not cutting the time is because it’s too fun trying to catch them unawares. With occasionally chucking a sticky grenade on someone’s head when there are 3 or more too close together.

I definitely have set challenges for myself on other games in the series and I will here too. Gotta love getting 500 meter plus shots. The third mission is a blast and I did essentially what you’re describing as well. Unfortunately there are a ton you can’t see and I think that one has 2 or 3 points where you hit and it loads a new set of additional enemies. Probably hard to have 200 or more enemies in memory at all times on top of everything else.

And yeah this is an awesome game. Don’t care if it’s aaa or not, it’s good and fun and that’s what I go for.

3 Likes

Yeah, those kinds of technical wrinkles is one of the unfortunate parts about this game. Well, tonnes of games, really. I’m talking about when you’re not entirely sure if whatever you’re trying to do is even possible, due to how the game has been programmed.

Like sometimes in a shooter you’re not sure if maybe the developers wanted you to battle your way through an onslaught of enemies on your way to the goal, and therefore won’t let you hang back and kill everyone from a distance, and so they’ve made it so that enemies will just continue spawning forever.

I had something similar to that on level 2. I was at the farmhouse on the east part of the map, and found myself in a fire fight with the soldiers there. Some soldiers in a truck happened upon us, and I killed them too. After everyone was dead I started exploring the farm, but two more soldiers arrived on a motorcycle. Killed them too. Then more arrived. Rinse and repeat. Now, if I could be sure there was an end to it at some point, I wouldn’t mind hanging around for an hour or two, setting traps, sniping from a distance, cutting throats, whatever. But I had a sneaking suspicion that I’d found myself in one of those infinite spawn situations, so I just boogied out of there instead.

No big deal, but your point about spawning enemies made me think of it.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah I know exactly what you are talking about. I actually kind of wish there was a bit more of having a certain number of those trucks or cycles going around the map instead of having no clue. But I suppose in real life you wouldn’t know. I did kinda play with that a bit in 7 which I finished this morning, it seems like they all got bogged down at a certain point on the map and were waiting to move, once enough were on the map there and not moving it stopped creating new. I just left them alone, there would have been difficulties in trying to take them out and I wanted to focus on other things just then.

2 Likes

Finished the 1st mission, it says it took me 200 minutes lol. But I did all the objectives, very stealthily, and took my time with it. I played almost purely stealth, takedowns, no sniping, no detection, but I’ll start experimenting with other approaches with the other missions because I won’t have the patience to stealth through all the other missions which seem ever bigger.

3 Likes

I’m playing on Series S, there’s aliasing, noticable aliasing. I think the game is probably too heavy at 1440p, perhaps lowering it to 1080p with an AA solution should make it look cleaner, and maybe it should even make it lock better to 60fps, because also currently there are instances, specifically where you zoom in an overview on large areas the frame rate takes a noticable hit.

Took 3 hours to finish the first mission and I’m loving it. I have played and beaten Sniper elite 2-4, I love this series as it really is a warm blanket every time a new version comes out and this one feels just as good if not better then all the other entries.

One of my Top 10 game series of all time for me. Love the way it plays, love the improvements in each game and love that every game has a DC where you hunt down Hitler.

I hope they do not go away from WW2 era, I know lots of people are tired of it but I just can’t get myself interested in anything modern warfare related. I could probably deal with a version in the Korean War or Vietnam as long as the DLC mission was to kill Hitler even if it went off the rails and suggested he lived past WW2.

4 Likes