Review | Sniper Elite 5

Just starred the game for the first time and I’m already encountering bugs that halt my progress completely.

It’s the very first mission. I take out the two soldiers with the sniper rifle, then once on the beach there should be a enemy but there isn’t. I move past this part and to the locked door. The game tells me about how officers carry keys. I don’t see any officer.

Restarted the mission and now they are there.

1 Like

Odd.

Don’t let that put you off.

1 Like

It happened to someone else here.

Just restart.

Edit : Did you search the bodies ?

1 Like

I always do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just finished the game and enjoyed it a lot. Good graphics, smooth gameplay and most important, it is fun to play. Lots of fun things to do and different ways to revisit the levels with solid replayability. Each level took about 2+ hs to finish, except the last one. Ended buying the dlc, which was alright, with the gamepass discount. Very well made game, good addition to gamepass, that saved the day again, otherwise I wouldn’t he buying it for the full price.

3 Likes

Just finished the second mission. And am loving this game. Feels right at home and I was a little rusty during the first mission but now I think I have everything sussed out.

Love this series

3 Likes

I don’t know how many people I ended up sniping before crossing into town, but my stats at the end are 144 kills and 301 minutes. I left with 10 tagged enemies still alive, and probably some more I never encountered, but I was ready to move on.

I’m now on the fourth level, and am taking the same approach. Currently I’ve spent 45 minutes sniping everyone I can see in the factory, but I think I’m about ready to move in. Now I just have to decide whether to zip across or take the dam.

Love this game. I suspect it’ll be my favourite in the series by the time I’m finished.

2 Likes

That is how I play too. Love it.

2 Likes

Going through my second playthrough, and I’m taking a lot less time at the moment, more like 2 hours or so per level instead of more like your 300 minutes for some. Started to encounter some more bugs (like grenade / panzerfaust / flare path not showing, enemies moonwalking in place, massive traffic pileups that definitely aren’t supposed to be happening) but the game is still really fun. Didn’t get the DLC mission at the moment because I’m curious what other campaign missions they’re planning to release and because I’ll probably wait & try to get the pass on sale at some point instead.

2 Likes

Reached mission 7 now after stopping for a while. Basically this game is mechanically lite-MGSV but with even a better structure imo. I just think I prefer this focused individual big open field missions over MGSV’s not-so-good open world structure. So what I’m saying is, if somehow SE5 had MGSV mechanics and AI it would be a 10/10 for me. Very impressed with it. It’s very much an infiltration sandbox, I think its title is actually misleading because you can definitely play it with minimal to no “sniping” like I’m doing lol

4 Likes

Holy shit I just found out that flare guns call artillery strikes on the area you shoot at, I finished the game not knowing this, only found out now while replaying a mission lmao

3 Likes

I have only found 3 in 40 hours of play.

I may have found more than 3 total, but there don’t seem to be many. I did like them better in the 4th game where you could pick them up from an enemy spotter and keep it in your tools until you wanted to use it instead of it becoming your active gun, but it’s definitely cool to use.

1 Like

After a bit of a break, summer activities and whatnot, I’m back at it with this game.

Just started the last mission, Rubble and Ruin, and let me just say, this level is breathtaking. Just the ambiance created by the smoke, darkness, bombed out buildings, and atmospheric music is enough to make you realize you’re playing something special.

But then when you reach the trees on fire, with glowing embers blowing in the wind… Hands down the most beautiful game I’ve played this year.

3 Likes

Yeah I was surprised by the game in that regard, performance and image quality aside.

1 Like

Cool just found one on mission 8

1 Like

Was reading the patch notes from the end of June last night, saw they fixed the bug with the flare guns that affected your movement. That should make them a lot better than when it first came out, but yeah that weapon has always been cool. In Sniper Elite 4 you could do an alt fire on it to target a bit more dispersed area, I used it in one of the dlcs to take out 2 vehicles and most of a squad :smirk:.

So just decided to replay the 5th mission as apparently I had somehow not managed to unlock the one thing for getting someone to fall off a ledge into concrete (even though I definitely did that before). Threw a lure to distract him, and it kinda worked but then he heard me and came to investigate anyway. Threw another bottle and it hit him in the face just after he saw me, let me run away and hide, he fell in. Then I went to retrieve someone I had knocked unconscious so I could hide them and accidentally dropped them into some deep water and they drowned. I love some of the little stuff like this, just fun.

2 Likes

On the one hand, having just finished the last mission yesterday, this arrived with perfect timing. But on the other, all told it took me 72 hours to finish the game, so I’m not sure I’m all that keen to dive back into it so soon.

1 Like

Just written my review for that. Coming soon.

3 Likes