Review | Resident Evil 4

This issue probably got amplified because I think most people streaming it were playing the ps5 version and the flickering lights were showing on their streams.

Im almost done with it, should finish it up tonight after work.

Overall I like it better than the original with one complaint. The volume of enemies at times is a bit much. Your character isnt the most nimble and there are times when there are so many enemies you barely have room to maneuver.

And the the castle catapult part was infuriating. Even in standard difficulty.

My review.

I was one of the people that thought a RE4 remake was a waste of time since RE4 is one of the best games ever made and the remaster is still perfectly playable. I still would have preferred if they gave Code Veronica the remake treatment instead, but I canā€™t be too mad about it.

I will compare the game to the original, which is a 10/10 in my books.

The proā€™s

• They really amped up the horror aspects of the game. Certain sections are genuinely spooky whereas they generally werenā€™t in the original.

• New weapons are great. Canā€™t wait to spend another 10 years arguing about which weapon is superior on forums. (Red9 is, and forever wil be, the best handgun)

• More enemy variety and ganados( especially the military variants) are an actual threat.

• The more open design is a great improvement over the mostly linear original. I was pleasantly surprised at the fact they added optional areas to explore in the village, but every map benefits from this change.

• The island feels way more connected to the plot this time around. In the original it felt rather disjointed from the rest of the game.

• I was never an Ashley hater, but she is definitely a more compelling character in the remake. Same goes for Louis.

• New area additions are great and new renditions of maligned areas like the castle depths are also a welcome change

• The story was fleshed out whilst remaining the same.

• The new spindle and request system was a great addition.

The meh:

• Capcom removed a lot of the cheesiness. The plot is improved, but sometimes you miss the snark and ridiculousness of the original. No more boulder chase scene, no more giant statue chase scene and no more sarcastic quipping with Hunnigan.

• The islands would have benefitted from an additional area to explore. Itā€™s quite noticeably shorter than the other segments.

• They somehow made the knife even more overpowered. Durability doesnā€™t really detract from that.

• Ammo capacity upgrades donā€™t give you ammo anymore, which makes the exclusive striker upgrade a sham.

• the mercenaries mode coming in a later update, which is a shame. Since Iā€™m really itching to play some mercenaries mode.

The cons:

• The deadzone is notable even with some tweaks to the controller settings. Itā€™s still very much playable, but it can occasionally be annoying.

• The removal of the U3 bossfight. I feel the game could have benefitted from an additional boss, so itā€™s slightly disappointing they didnā€™t keep this boss in.

• Lack of separate ways campaign. The original included a postgame campaign starring Ada that is nowhere to be seen in the remake. I feel like Capcom will release it as a paid dlc, but if they do my expectations for it will also rise.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll wait for Gamepass. Like with any remaster, remake.

If i have play the original before, there is no way im paying full price for them again.

I mean, Iā€™m not here to tell anyone how to spend their money, but about half the game is changed from the original including pretty substantial areas that werenā€™t even in it and even the stuff that is 1-1 is done so exceeding well itā€™s absurd.

In summation: having played the original is almost meaningless.

I disagree.

Remaster, Remake to me are fancy graphics update while the original great game is a timeless classic.

If people keep paying full price for them, there will be less innovative new games and they will just keep remaster and remaking over and over again.

You disagree? About something you havenā€™t played. Sensible

Like I said, Iā€™m not telling you you need to buy it. Just that the basis for your reasoning is almost entirely false.

I play the OG already same with Dead Space. It is why i ainā€™t paying for them remake.

Iā€™m a gameplay over graphics guy, it is why fancy remake graphics donā€™t impress me.

Youll be waiting a while. A sale would be more appropriate. I dont think well get these remakes on GP anytime soon if ever. Especially when Ms acquire abk theyll be doing less 3rd party deals. And i dont remember re2 or 3 remake being on gamepass. I know 7 was.

You clearly havent played RE1 remake. Or re2 remake.

Re1 remake makes the original obselete. Re2 remake doesnt but remake is still the bst version. Hardly a graphcis update.

To each their own. Im all for remakes because a lot of new games are uninspired copy pasted borefests

3 of the highest rated games this yearā€¦dead space re4 and metroid prime. Hmmmā€¦

I have play every RE game including the remake of RE2 and 3. Still donā€™t care. The OG can still be play and enjoy today. Remaster and remake become widespred thanks to freaking Sony and now it seem everyone is doing it. A damn shame really.

I can wait forever, matter of fact i donā€™t even need to play any remaster/remake if i have played the original already.

2 Likes

One thing I am enjoying a lot about the game is how moody it is. You can tell Capcom has put a ton of effort in creating the atmosphere.

1 Like

Just finished it. Took me 18 hours and yeah the game is really good. Very challenging as well even after having finished the original multiple times this game got me on my tows the whole time. Great remake overall.

1 Like

Playing Hardcore NG+ to get rid of the boring ā€œfind all the treasuresā€ achievements so I can start doing the challenge runs after that. Canā€™t wait to see how brutal Professional will beā€¦considering Hardcore is a nice challenge when compared to the other recent RE games. :philwins:

Itā€™s a fuckinā€™ great remake indeed and considering that dev costs are in a whole other universe this gen when compared to the Gamecube era they did a great job also in terms of content. Also itā€™s impressive how consistently high quality the game is in all aspects (graphics, combat encounters and pacing) from start to finishā€¦hell they even managed to make the most dull looking area a looker with the Island.

@lunanto Atmosphere is excellent, the amazing art direction and lighting help a lot with the more spooky vibes of the REmake 4.

1 Like

What weapons do you guys use during your runs?

Red9, Riot Gun, Stingray and a little bit of TMPā€¦played a bit with the Bolt Thrower too but didnā€™t particularly like that you have to reload every time you fire an explosive bolt. Now on NG+ I replaced Red9 for the SG-09 R to see how good the 5x critical rate exclusive upgrade is, so far Iā€™ve landed more headshots than what I did with the Red9 so this will be my go-to handgun from now on. Also planning to check out Killer7 and LE 5 in this playthrough and see how they compare to Broken Butterfly and TMP.

I went with the Punisher the first time around because of the laser sight, but the gun is very weak so I had a hard time with that. Think Iā€™ll go with the Blacktail for new game +.

Red9 :triumph: Stingray TMP replaced with LE5 The knifeā€™s The Striker

Probably going to do a run on pro difficulty using the Blacktail or Matilda handgun. With the rest of the lineup staying the same.

Played around with the boltgun, but felt it fell of hard after the village.

Sony? Wtf have sony got to do with remakes. Nintendo and even MS have been doing remakes and remasters for decades.