Review | Resident Evil 4

I never noticed the deadzone issue in the Series X demo until I read about it online. Now unfortunately I do notice it, especially compared to the PS4 version (which I also tested). Sadly, it turns out the Xbox One version of the RE4 HD remaster released last gen also had the same deadzone problem (basically the right stick needs to be moved more to register an action compared to the playstation version).

These newer RE titles are literally some of the best games out there on any platform but thereā€™s always some sort of tech related snafu holding them back. They never ever fixed the HDR raised black problem in RE2 Remake for example. Then thereā€™s the deadzone issues on Xbox & also framerate problems on all platforms (notably last gen when the base consoles ran RE2, 3, 7 & Village at an uneven framerate between 30 & 60 fps when they should have just locked it at 30) .

I guess Iā€™ll just have to adapt to the wider deadzone on Xbox because Iā€™m not buying a PS5 (or a new pc) just to play RE4 Remake (& the PS5 version also reportedly looks worse than the Series X version, so right now itā€™s not a viable alternative either).

1 Like

Guess Separate Ways isnā€™t included and is coming as DLC. Maybe Assignment Ada too.

Of course. But this might be a good thing because rather they make that dlc longer and add more content. The re4 dlc was very lightweight. Id be very dissapointed if the remake dlc is the same. Go all out and make it a bigger piece of content.

While not ideal, I do think the controls arenā€™t bad enough that most people canā€™t get used to. I still think Capcom should fix it but it shouldnā€™t kill the experience.

I will be streaming RE4 Remake tomorrow morning EDT US time. Streaming embargo is up a day early so Iā€™ll be starting up a fresh playthrough.

Game is playable alreadyā€¦ Any word on the deadzone issues?

1 Like

Allegedly the same issue was in RE7 and the RE4 classic version on xbox. I didnt notice it. Must have heavy thumbs or something.

1 Like

I am in the middle of chapter two. It looks really really nice but playing it again now reminded me that RE4 was really the start of the action focused RE games. There is only light horror in this game. It almost feels like playing the last of us or anything comparable. I have no problems with the controls, but I am getting used to different control schemes very quickly. Its heavier than other games, no doubt about that but that adds to the tension I feel.

1 Like

Game is an absolute fucking mastepiece. Bring sback memories.

The game has a lot of setpiece moments. Really impressive. I usually use the Punisher, because of the laser sight, as my main pistol but Iā€™m wondering if Red 9 would have been the better option. Used that in the original

1 Like
1 Like

Glad to report this is working quite nicely for me. Precision when aiming is notably improved.

People keep bitching about the aiming on xbox but is anyonr doing anything about it? Ive tweeted capcom numerous times.

I ve sent them several emails. It will probably be worthless so I am happy to have found these settings.

This issue is too big to ignore. And Ive been tweeting and posting messages to microsoft too. They need to enquire about it.

If MS had balls theyd tell capcom right away. The demo should have raised flags.

Too big to ignore? I havenā€™t even noticed it.

Iā€™m over here doming Spaniards left and right.

Can this be addressed by sensitivities settings on an elite controller?

I still have all the other RE remasters to play through, so I havenā€™t kept up on 4 (other than putting it on a wishlist for a sale).

Although I noticed a obvious deadzone issue in the demo I have no deadzone issues in the release version. however I am using a series 2 elite so that may have something to do with it(same controller i used for the demo) I have not tried using a standard series xbox controller yet to see if the issue is there.

The retail is better than the demo but with a few tweaks in the Elite settings the deadzones can be even less noticeable.

Controls are improved in the retail version, I was playing the retail from the start with an Elite Core (with some tweaks) but when I changed to a default profile to check it out the game felt much better, especially Leonā€™s movement/left analogue stick was really laggy and unresponsive in the chainsaw demo.

1 Like

I agree but it is what it is. PS5 flickering lights issues werem admited by Capcom almost immediately and they are working on it:

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1639216741778702338?cxt=HHwWhIC-uaK81b8tAAAA

It is completely unfair but this is what being the ā€œsecond optionā€ entails. That is one of the reasons I want the ABK acquisition to go trough and Xbox to have more leverage in general, we Xbox users need a better treatment.

Anyway, back on topic, I wouldnĀ“t hold my breath. I would very happy and surprise if Capcom acknowledges the control issues on Xbox and actually fix them.

1 Like