Review | Forza Motorsport

Actually every video I’ve seen was largely positive. It was just a common sentiment in just about every video, both impressions and reviews, that the creator didn’t care for the upgrade mechanics outside of Gamingbolt, who seemed to like it. To be fair, I of course didn’t see every video out there but I certainly wasn’t fed a bunch of negative videos. Heck, even the review this thread is based on listed the grind as a negative.

And I agree the system doesn’t have to be gutted, but it needs to be heavily changed IMO because the one path fits all cars implementation isn’t great, which is what I also said in my last post. If they really value player creativity, give the player more freedom to how they can customize and upgrade their car is all I ask.

1 Like

I think this is pretty likely to happen.

1 Like

My console was out of space so auto updates for Halo and Forza didn’t go so I’m doing that now while I go for an evening walk. But I’m excited to try both. The whole saturation thing was something I was thinking about and so I’m glad to see it addressed.

I understand why they went for the car upgrade thing in the way they have but some of it is oddly nonsensical.

Like for my own car at home the cheapest things I can do are related to certain bumps in horsepower with aspiration and weight reduction, but weight reduction was locked after level 20 or something.

What I like is most of the upgrades that don’t involve the engine are available at level 15 or so. So it seems like 60-80% of the upgrades are available after an hour of racing. So it’s nearly there.

Also when it comes to textures, I’m sure something had to go. I can see this engine being the groundwork for the Horizon series as well considering that all tracks have full time of day and weather, and seem to be modeled well beyond the racetrack. It’s a very sensical choice considering that you want to nail frame rate, physics, lighting, and simulations (time of day involves many simulations, but also tire wear and all that stuff) first and foremost. As hardware gets better textures can benefit with a texture update pack.

1 Like

Is this before or after the recent update? Because they just changed progression.

I would really like if bodykits weren’t some level 45 upgrades. Should be muuuuuch lower.

1 Like

Rant

It really annoys the shit out of me that this is a flagship first party game, and one of the flagship “next gen” console perks this generation, quick resume, is still fundamentally broken.

Am I alone on this?

1 Like

Havent had quick resume break yet. But i have had only just started (about 20 hours or so)

Had a really awesome race just now where the track started all clear but there was this nice volumetric fog that rolled in and it looked absolutely beautiful.

Also really happy that a variant of my old car is in the game. It’s not often I see this beauty in racers these days. The model could be updated a touch but I’m glad I can add it to my collection. It’s sounds and feels surprisingly close to my old car.

Couple more shots of this game looking great. It’s really gorgeous at times.

All of my impressions are before today’s update. I’ve played three races so far since getting back to the hotel from work. So I don’t have much experience to use on how it’s changed things. I believe them that it should be less of a grind and that’s certainly a good thing. Unfortunately I don’t see these changes addressing my issue of not giving players enough freedom on how they upgrade the car. So I’d still like to see it tweaked further in the future.

IMO the ideal setup would be keep the upgrades per certain level but let the player choose what category is focused on the part unlocks. That way if your car is bad at handling, let the player focus on unlocking upgrades to the handling. Same for if your car is bad at acceleration or speed. That way they don’t have to gut the entire upgrade model while allowing some flexibility to how the player wants to address the areas their cars fall short. I’d also like it if the AI was restricted to the same upgrade limitations as the player. I’ve noticed the AI can choose the tire compound but every series I’ve been stuck with street tires because I haven’t leveled up enough to unlock tire upgrades.

It’s messed up for me too. Wonder if the issues are related to it being an online only game.

2 Likes

When I heard about this issue, this was my first thought.

1 Like

https://x.com/visualfidelity/status/1714397099952152874?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

1 Like

Yep this was my reaction as well. I liked how it looked before but seems the menu option to adjust anything were broke and not just the bug that made it washed out and you’d need to restart the game. After really tweaking it seems the game was a little washed out even after restart when adjusting menu settings.

Unforced error on turn 10’s part to not have this done at launch which probably impacted the perception of it. It’s a shame Xbox games have ZERO leeway for issues and the games get raked over the coals but other games like BOTK, BG3 can have massive tech issues that are glossed over.

2 Likes

Amazing looking sunset at Grand Oak. The lighting and weather effects in this game can be incredible.

10 Likes

Anyone know how to get an error corrected in Forza? The Brabham BT62 is down as a United Kingdom car, when infact it is an Australian car. Brabham is headquartered in Adelaide, Australia, and the car is also made in Adelaide Australia, in the old Holden factory.

As an Australian its important. Dont want POMS taking credit for one of ours.

So do we know what future Featured Tours will look like? Will there be new ones on a regular schedule? Will the current Track Tour become part of the Builders Cup when a new Featured Tour replaces it?

No joke, I’d tweet him

Chris Esaki (@LoungeToy) / X (twitter.com)

1 Like

I found this video quite good, considering FM seems to be a trash game in terms of graphics reading the internet

Yesterday I finish building my DIY cockpit. very happy with the results!. Yeah the seat frame is a pallet I picked from work :sweat_smile: as well as the board that works as a base

The seat is a GTOmega RS9, very good for the price. But I think they dont have a lot of stock outside yurop. The monitor stand is also from GTOmega.

The game feels very good with gamepad but they have done a great job with the steering wheels . It feels like an assetto corsa for casual people and with great built-in multiplayer.

6 Likes

https://x.com/forza_support/status/1716576493156118568?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

2 Likes

Even though I’m just playing with a controller, something that I would not do for racing Sims over the past decade because I found it too restrictive with a gamepad, I can’t stop playing. I did that “one more race” thing last night and irresponsibly stayed up for another couple hours.

It really takes me back to playing Gran Turismo 1, I’m getting the exact same vibes and feelings. A lot of it rooted in the fact that I haven’t played anything like this before. When GT came out there was just nothing like it on console. I feel the same way with Forza Motorsport because of the time of day and weather. All this despite the fact that I’m not a fan of the AI and I really don’t care for the builders cup upgrade path. But when it comes to just the actual racing and driving on the tracks…it feels great.

As night turns to dawn and the clouds roll in with a bit of drizzle, with the only constant being your engine screaming and your tires squealing, and you’re looking at the same corner that you’ve seen thousands of times in your life with a new appreciation…it truly reminds me of the wonder and amazement I had when I played GT.

BTW I play with zero HUD and no racing line. I’m just completely immersed. This is my jam.

7 Likes

Why are you not playing with the wheel? Once you get the settings right the feel is very good.