Review | Death's Door

That’s surprising because the game is great. It’s just the smallest of things that are left to adjust.

The podcasts that are down on the game, are they down on it because it’s Xbox/PC only?

No. They’re platform agnostic, fair, and some are even Xbox based podcasts. It’s almost universal, it’s basically “I like some parts of this but don’t like all of these things and wish it hit better for me”.

1 Like

This game is so good, and that comes from the person who doesn’t like this type of games. After few upgrades, things are becoming a bit easier and more interesting.

And I agree, dying because of small stupid things is frustrating :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

1 Like

Thing is, the game is never unfair. It’s always my screw up when I die. Loved every second of it.

9 Likes

I agree. I never died thinking that I got cheated. There was maybe one time where I though, I’m not sure that actually hit me. Fantastic game. Working on 100 percent now.

Something that helped me a lot is upgrading the fire ball. Hitting big enemies and having damage done over time seemed to make short work of a lot of bigger enemies and bosses plus you where doing damage while evading.

1 Like

Honestly the upgraded fireball is the best way to cheese big enemies.

3 Likes

Upgraded grapple hook is awesome for quick get in get out attacking.

4 Likes

I finished the game today, and I absolutely had an awesome time with it. It really did scratch that old school Zelda game feel for me in a way that nothing has in a very long time, and my minute to minute gameplay was more fun than Breath of the Wild to be honest :slight_smile: I will likely try to clear some things out that I didn’t cover on my first run at some point, but it was absolutely worth the $20 and some IMO.

Beat the game last night, around 13h and 86.5% completion. I might get back to it later to get all the shrines and collectibles.

Great game, definitely worth the full price purchase. I’d love to see a sequel or something similar from these 2 guys. Well done!! Now I’m ready for The Ascent and Omno :heart_eyes:

Honestly the way the charged attack is setup is useless for a game that needs quick responses and the whole LT+B for some powers it too time consuming in fine margins. The controller has enough buttons not being used to be forcing some of these controls and Makes taking risks a nuisance.

Also Doing the Bow upgrade mini boss and its some horseshit sometimes. My dude rolling off the stage, having such luck that he hookshots into me or the fireballs that he has circulating hitting me after I dodge his hookshot.

1 Like

The upgrades are pretty useless, the only one you’d ever really use is the hookshot but it’s only preferential for fights.

I only used the charge attack a little when using the umbrella but it’s the same thing as just spamming attack and dodging with similar timing.

Maxing the weapon and ranged dmg is definitely better than attack speed and movement speed, spamming arrows is definitely the best damage as well.

Idk why Im even bothering with this bow one. I dont even use it cause it takes too long to charge in tight fights. I like the fire one for like rush encounters to clear a room but thats it. Dont like the bomb because it just takes too long to charge + the aiming is hit or miss with this.

1 Like

Finally finished the end game content… by jesus, trying to find all 50 life seeds is frustrating as hell lmao

1 Like

Top tip? The trowel glows when you’re on a map that has a seed nearby.

The Gardener pothead will tell you where a planter you’ve missed is too.

3 Likes

Beat the main story. Solid 8.5 with some gripes in certain combat situations and controller layouts but otherwise $16 well spent.

This game is a 9 or 10/10 for me. I’d probably lean 9. I’m working on my play through with just an umbrella. Beat Grandma and upgraded fireball so far. It’s challenging but overall not too bad.

1 Like

How difficult are the game mechanics? Do I need to GIT GUD?

I’m old, and I did okay.

2 Likes

This game is not the “GIT GUD” sort (Dark Souls / CupHead). It isn’t punishing when you die, don’t be afraid of dying.

I normally play very reserved. That lead to many fights taking far longer than they should have which increased the odds of making some mistakes or being hit by projectiles. I was hitting some blocking points using that strategy. Last night was just the second time I played, I tried being more aggressive and the fights were far easier. The fights were far shorter. That meant less chances of being hit and higher change of success. It’s quite forgiving with the dodge/roll mechanic so keep moving around. I’m now at the Inner Furnace section heading towards the first “Giant Soul” boss.

Use collected souls to upgrade your skills. I think Haste and Dexterity were the more helpful upgrades early on.

I’m even older, and I’m doing alright. I’m enjoying the experience.

5 Likes

Jon stop making us old people look bad, we are not that bad dammit plus we may not have the reflexes but we have the experience! :older_man:

5 Likes