Resident Evil Showcase - January 21, 2021 | 2 PM PT

2 Likes

Of cause a new gen allows new stuff but the game must be in development for long time now and horror games are a tougher sell they need any copy possible. The next game will be next gen only no doubt.

1 Like

Re Village looks pretty good. I was hoping for them to add the original RE1, 2, 3 on the store for the 25th anniversary tho :sob:

I know and agree with all of this, but I was speaking from the perspective of a gamer investing in the Xbox platform as opposed to playstation. I never said Phil saw RE demo being exclusive to ps5 that’s why they’ll have to make Bethesda exclusive Lmaoo, what I said amounts to a cumulative case as to why Microsoft should be more adamant in their approach if they want the ecosystem to not keep getting ignored by third parties or made easier to ignore. Bethesda shouldn’t be exclusive because Sony does these moneyhats, it’s because Sony doesn’t budge even a bit when trying to make their ecosystem seem better in whatever way or form they see fit, and seeing these things in isolation isn’t what should convince you of a need to keep fucking first party games exclusive, it’s seeing all of these repeatedly happening, and Xbox coming and saying saying “sure, guys keep going, oh by the way, here’s our 10-20 million sale easy IPs that you can just play on your existing preferred platform alongside all of that platform’s exclusives too. We just care about money, doesn’t matter don’t worry”.

I have zero problems with the decision if they let Bethesda games comes on playstation, but I’m very much ready for quite possibly the biggest possible meltdown for xbox in media this generation if that happens, that’s all.

I don’t think Xbox is able to do that because the massive sales difference, I think Sony can get away with this sort of stuff saying it’s only on Playstation because it wouldn’t hurt the sales of the game. If Xbox said it was just on Xbox platforms the studio/publisher could lose a lot of sales on PS because they don’t know it’s coming to PS, really shitty spot for MS to be in.

1 Like

Looks bloody awesome, can’t wait for it.

1 Like

I never said it was a bad business decision on capcoms part. I just prefer better games.

They added visual demo to the title because that is exactly what it is, a highly controlled environment running zero enemy AI and seemingly minimal other systems. So it all really shows is a demo of walking around an environment. I haven’t had a chance to watch it on my 4K screen yet but it seemed pretty similar to 7 on potato quality monitor.

Careful though on some forums your post would be translated as PS5 is being pushed to it’s limits by a cross gen game :wink:

I played the demo, game looks completely cross gen just like Resi 7 running on a good PC really. Game will be great I am sure but I am shocked that the framerate was tanking so hard with one enemy on screen and according to one source is Checkerboard 4k and not native. (theres no way i can believe that with this performance)

Not great at all, but it hasnt finished development so I am sure it will be fine :confused:

Just want to add - I think Dusk was spot on with his comments, and I believed him months ago. He has never missed a beat on resi leaks IMO.

3 Likes

Yeah he’s good peoples.

Let’s hope the devs don’t have these problems with XSX.

According to Dusk Golem, it seems that RE 8 will be running in BC mode and that there will be a next gen upgrade later on but he was surprised they didn’t mention it during the stream.

I would much rather see games get delayed (and in turn not get announced so damn early) so we can get the full upgrade at launch because after I complete the game, im not going back to it. UGH.

1 Like

Not sure my point came across clear before. Just because they were able to port it to last gen consoles, that doesn’t mean anything in terms of design was held back. Just because a game is possible on last gen consoles doesn’t mean the developers didn’t do everything they intended to do on current gen consoles. Could just be the case that what their goals were will also work on last gen consoles. This is on top of the additional benefits we’ll surely see like ray tracing and likely little to no load times since they’ve expressed their intentions to make a seamless world. With minimal loading.

Basically I wouldn’t just assume this game is being held back.

Do you have a link where he shares this? Doesn’t make sense since the current gen versions already have features not possible on last gen hardware. So it’s clearly not running in BC mode.

This is how I felt watching playthroughs on YouTube. I wonder if the super dimly lit section int he dungeon would look better with more light sources. I kidna got the impression some textures had normal maps designed to a lot of heavy lifting wrt making it look like real geometric detail but the only light source to bounce off those normals was almost too dim to really let them work properly.

Wat. Can ya find the post/tweet? That would be intensely misleading for Capcom to do. 0.0

Ya sure ya aren’t referring to RE7?

That does not make sense, what you are saying is that last gen hardware is caperble enough to achieve the vision and goals of the game designers, but that does not make sense until a perfect imitation of reality is possible.

For example say its the design goal for resident evil village was to have a mansion with creepy vampires in a first person view etc, well just because thise design goals would be possible all the way back to the 360/ps3, fundimentaly its similer to what resi 5 did, however more powerful and advanced hardware will enable things which simply are not possible on last gen, for example, simple things like A.i and animation could use a zen2 core each, just for those tasks, because of this huge increase in computational power for these things, capcom are able to create brand new animation and a.i systems with a level of sophistication not seen before in games and thus why releasing the game for last would hold it back unless, the 2 versions are vastly different like in the ps2 days.

Actually what I’m saying makes perfect sense and the gaps in performance between generations is much smaller now than what we saw going from the PS2 to the PS3/360.

How scalable a game is largely depends on what they are trying to achieve. They can allow you to traverse through the entire town in RE8 at 4K60 with no load times, have amazing animation, ray traced reflections, and higher resolution textures while still scaling the game down to fit on last gen hardware. On last gen hardware we can see load times between sections or buildings, animations cut or lowered in frame rate, lower resolutions, more frame rate drops, no ray tracing (obviously), and lower resolution textures. The game features zombie like monsters, werewolves, vampires, etc. Hardly anything that would be pushing boundaries with AI regardless of what consoles it’s running on.

You’re right that developers can develop brand new animations systems and AI on a level never seen before. However those developments take time and are unlikely to surface within the first 6 months of a console’s launch. Again, in the demo build at least, the game already drops frames. So to claim the game isn’t pushing the hardware makes no sense.

Apologies. Have been playing Immortals for the last 8 hours.

The upgrade is in fact for Resident Evil 7. I read that RE 8 was supposed to have a PSVR mode and just naturally thought he was talking about RE 8 but he wasn’t. I was wrong and shouldn’t have been in a rush reading/posting. I’m sorry.

3 Likes

I never said the game isnt pushing the hardware… Its easy to push hardware, running fallout 3 at 8k 120fps would likely push seriesX + ps5. And yes cross gen games can scale , offering higher res, fps , effects and reduced loading times. But that does not dismiss the fact that hardware of last gen would prevent the devs from doing the things like I previously mentioned (improved A.i and animation) unless they made two different versions of the game. You say the enemies would not push boundaries in a.i regardless of the hardware, A.i was an example I gave, so it may not improve that much for these types of enemies, but there are many other ways the devs could use the new hardware to improve the game beyond scalable visual effects, resolution and frame rate.

Better A.I and animations were just a few examples I gave however my point is not limited to just those 2 areas. There are many things the devs could do with the new hardware which prove my point, the only criteria is that it is not possible on x1/ps4 base hardware, it could be many many things, such as higher polycount, water, ice, snow, fire, wind simulations, instant level warping on a vast scale never seen before, character animation + behaviour (you could have enemies break or interact with the environment more), the design of the building itself, floor boards could be literally rotting, whatever you can imagine how the new hardware can be used, im sure theres people more creative then me who have plenty of ideas which cant be done on the old 2012 netbook jaguars, weak gpus, low io etc etc. There are many of things that cut from games simply because they not technically possible, its why initial gameplay reveals often look quite different to the final product, the realities of time and hardware caperbility become more and more apparent as development progresses.

You say desinging new systems takes time, yes of course it does, but this does not disprove what im saying, there are plenty examples of games making new uses of the new hardware early in the consoles life even this gen rachet and clank is coming in 2021 and in the past games like mario 64, halo and others did this.

Because saying “Sony paid us to keep it off Xbox and PC” doesn’t have a nice ring to it. It’s just marketing talk, nothing to take literally.

I think you’re mixing up pushing systems efficiently and inefficiently. Running Fallout at 8K is irrelevant to what’s happening here.

Also if they tried to implement even half of what you’re suggesting here the game wouldn’t be coming out this year. So again the issue is time, not last gen hardware. It’s either we get the game in a few months or we wait one or two more years and get this theoretical RE you’re describing. It wouldn’t have happened this year even if they completely ignored last gen systems.

If Sony wanted to they could squeeze Ratchet and clank on a PS4. Would poly counts, animations, ray tracing, textures, etc. be scaled down or cut? Yes. Could they insert a load screens that would disrupt the flow? Yes. However they can still squeeze it down if they wanted.

And again mention 20+ year old games is pointless to what we see these days. There was larger room for growth that took less time during those days. It’s nothing like what we see here.

Ya! It’s cyberpunk downgrade logic all over again.